+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Report: UFC eyes Roy Nelson vs. Mark Hunt bangfest for Sept. 20 return to Japan

Default Report: UFC eyes Roy Nelson vs. Mark Hunt bangfest for Sept. 20 return to Japan

Report: UFC eyes Roy Nelson vs. Mark Hunt bangfest for Sept. 20 return to Japan
    http://www.mmamania.com/2014/5/1/567...n-to-japan-mma

"Super Samoan" vs. "Big Country?" That's a hard-hitting heavyweight match up if I ever saw one.

"The Land of the Rising Sun" is in the running to play host to a potential slobberknocker of a heavyweight fight, as Mark Hunt and Roy Nelson could be heading to Japan this September.

That's according to a report by UFC Tonight, which also indicates the healing of Nelson's hand -- injured on the dome of Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira last month in Abu Dhabi -- could be the deciding factor.

I know a lot of people have been calling for this because they sling heavy and have great chins, I hate this match. I really wanted Hunt/Overeem II, Bigfoot/Hunt II or even Hunt/Barnett II....I've got a feeling this is going to be beyond ugly and possibly really fast.

Roy's standup matches up quite poorly in comparison and unless he cares to copout and grapple(which kinda goes against his gimmick), he's getting KTFO'd......or we're going to be seen a lot of hands on knees.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    I know a lot of people have been calling for this because they sling heavy and have great chins, I hate this match. I really wanted Hunt/Overeem II, Bigfoot/Hunt II or even Hunt/Barnett II....I've got a feeling this is going to be beyond ugly and possibly really fast.

Roy's standup matches up quite poorly in comparison and unless he cares to copout and grapple(which kinda goes against his gimmick), he's getting KTFO'd......or we're going to be seen a lot of hands on knees.
    Sorry but I disagree with your assessment of the fight (respectfully of course).

Hunt has fought hard fought decisions and fights way past the 2nd round (Rothwell, Struve, Bigfoot, JDS), and although he did get tired, the man never bent over with his hands on his knees, a la Kimbo/Alexander style.

Nelson has a better gas tank than both Overeem and Silva. His chin is very solid, and if the faster, stronger, crisper striking of JDS wasn't able to KO Nelson, than I don't think Hunt will (not to say he don't lack the power, but Nelson's chin holds up very strong).

I expect the fight to be entertaining, and given that the fight is in Japan, Hunt will be more motivated. Fight will go to a decision and will be something similar to Hunt/Silva, FOTY type of fight.

Respectfully disagree as well! I carry the belief that even the best chins start to crack with age and the wear and tear you see from these wars and eventually, everybody's lights go out. I'm thinking this ends quick. Also, the Rothwell/Hunt fight was pretty freaking ugly.

If Roy keeps this on the feet, which I doubt (he tried repeatedly to get JDS down) he will get knocked out. I fully expect Roy to take hunt down for an easy sub. It seems to me when he is out matched on the feet he tries to take it to the ground. He did it with AA. Hell he even did it with kimbo. Hunt will be easy pickins on the mat.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    Respectfully disagree as well! I carry the belief that even the best chins start to crack with age and the wear and tear you see from these wars and eventually, everybody's lights go out. I'm thinking this ends quick. Also, the Rothwell/Hunt fight was pretty freaking ugly.
    Agreed I think Roy's chin is going to start showing some cracks soon. The Miocic fight was showing some weakness in it and I think a hard hitting heavy weight (ie Hunt) would have knocked him out

Quote Originally Posted by disposableassassin View Post
    If Roy keeps this on the feet, which I doubt (he tried repeatedly to get JDS down) he will get knocked out. I fully expect Roy to take hunt down for an easy sub. It seems to me when he is out matched on the feet he tries to take it to the ground. He did it with AA. Hell he even did it with kimbo. Hunt will be easy pickins on the mat.
    I have my doubts on Roy getting this to the ground. He really ever employs take downs and it doesn't seem like he done anything to improve on this aspect of his mma game and right now he's only successful on 1 in 5 takedowns. Where as hunt is defending 4 of 5 takedowns
    Last edited by Rise; 05-01-2014 at 10:32 PM.

Anything can happen in this fight. Roy is so fat that if he manage to take Hunt to the ground, I do not see Mark easily escaping from there.

In the stand up, anything can happen aswell. Obviously Hunt is 10x a better striker. But he has been knocked out before and Nelson hits like a truck. Definitely a great fight!

The best fatty fight since Zulu vs Butterbean (With the exceptions that Hunt and Nelson are legit)
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

I love it.

Two of the toughest, hardest hitting, gritty SOB's in the game. I'm a big fan of both.

I hope they hype this one up and make it loud.

If the fight stays off the ground other than one of the two fine gentleman getting knocked out this might be legendary. But I have a feeling Roy will try hard to get Hunt down.
    Favourite fighters: Mark Hunt, Tom Niinimäki and Anton Kuivanen

Quote Originally Posted by MMA4EVERRR View Post
    Nelson has a better gas tank than both Overeem and Silva.
    No he doesn't. I have never seen a fight with Nelson go past the first round with out him being exhausted. In his fight with Cormier, he had horrible cardio. At least Overeem is able to go 3 rounds and win them all ala werdum and mir. Overeem barely looked tired at the end of the mir fight.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information