Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UFC settles multi-million dollar lawsuit after online pirate confesses, apologizes

1. Default UFC settles multi-million dollar lawsuit after online pirate confesses, apologizes

http://www.mmamania.com/2014/9/14/61...apologizes-mma

Steven Messina has tapped out.

The Staten Island recluse was recently sued by Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) for $32 million -- or one guaranteed purse for Floyd Mayweather Jr. -- for allegedly stealing pay-per-view (PPV) events and then uploading them to popular file-sharing websites like Pirate Bay.

After initially arguing that he was innocent of all charges -- and starting an online fundraiser to help with his legal defense -- a press release from the world's largest mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion claims victory for UFC, with an admission of guilt from the scurvy pirate himself.

"I apologize to the UFC for any damages incurred as a result of my actions in illegally distributing copyrighted UFC broadcasts. As a result of my confession for piracy of UFC's protected content, I fully accept the terms of the settlement with the UFC. I now realize the harm caused by my actions. It is my hope that I can use this difficult period as a learning experience as I move on with my life. I would also like to tell anyone pirating UFC broadcasts, either through illegal downloading or non-authorized streaming, that it is illegal and not worth the risk."
    If you can't beat the game, beat the player.

Terms of the settlement were not disclosed; however, Messina is expected to "provide details of his procedures that led to the unauthorized distribution of an estimated 200 hours of UFC content and will offer his records to the UFC to further prevent illegal usage or sharing of the company's broadcasts."

That means coughing up his computer and the details of all the barnacles who were attached to his streams.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

This dude was charging people small fees i believe, so all of his subscribers are fucked.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

The UFC has learned nothing from the MPAA, they just seem to be 10 behind them.

You know what the UFC should really worry about is when people stop copying their content. I remember when UFC PPV's was had huge numbers of seeders and peers, the number were off the chart now not so much, I also remember when fans made Posters and couldn't wait for the next UFC event.

The UFC's anti-piracy initiative is working well. I suspect they will have nearly eliminated piracy by 2016.

They'll achieve this by watering down their product to such an extent that no one will be interested in watching it.

I see the UFC is spending it's Millions wisely to combat that dirty ole Piracy. Mean while A UFC fighter somewhere has to figure out how he's going to pay rent.....continue to fight the "good fight" Dana....
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

I doubt they got this $32 million out of this so called 'pirate'. Hell, I doubt they got even $1 million in the settlement. It was actually probably something like $10000, or even nothing. As long as he said "I done wrong, don't be like me" and coughed up his computer and all the people he could snitch out along the way.

It's funny how many times piracy has been targetted. The music industry did it, the movie people did it, I think WWE did at one point, and now the UFC had declared a full out war against it. It isn't going to matter worth jack shit in the end, you can't stop it. Even if they shut down sites like Pirate Bay, or whatever, another 10 sites will just pop up and take over from there. Same thing happened years ago with Napster I think, and then whatever was next, Limewire? I dunno.

There are just so many ways around it, that they will never shut it down completely, even if they spend billions of dollars on it (which could be used for fighter pay btw). A better method, would be to improve their fight pass and people wouldn't have to download it. I don't have fight pass, and basically because I don't want to pay $10 a month to watch B and C level shows, and be expected to cough up the $60+ for PPV's as well, meanwhile there are decent cards for free on TV usually. IF fight pass became all inclusive, (like the WWE thing), I would surely buy it if it allowed me to download events, and watch the PPV events. The PPV model is dying, and the piracy ain't going anywhere.

/rant

Howdy Folks! You like blood? Violence? Freaks of nature? Well then, come on down to Captain Spaulding's Museum of Monsters and Mad-Men. See the Alligator Boy, ride my famous Murder Ride. Most of all, don't forget to take home some of my tasty fried chicken! Ha ha! It just tastes so damn good!

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    I wanted to watch two fat guys stare at each other huffing and puffing

Unpopular Opinion Alert:

It doesn't matter if you don't like the price. It doesn't matter if you don't think that the product is worth the price. It doesn't matter what you think about their product or price. It also doesn't matter if you don't like what the fighters are paid (I don't either). You don't get to decide that stuff. All you get to decide is if the product is question is worthy of the amount of your money that is required to enjoy it. If you want to watch their presentation, then you pay what they want to charge. Anything else is stealing, and it's wrong. If Ramen fucking Noodles came out tomorrow, and said our product is now $1,000 a pop, that's up to them, not you, and if you really like Ramen Noodles, but don't want to pay that much, sucks to be you, but if you steal it you're still a thief. The creators/owners of a product decide how much something costs, and the consumer decides if it's worth it. Stealing due to high prices doesn't make you justified in your actions, or some sort of social justice warrior, it just makes you a thief. I want a new truck, and I think it sucks that all the nice ones are $30,000-$40,000 , but I don't get to decide that, so I'll keep driving my crappy Aspire.

P.S. I mean what I've said on this, no room for error, nothing. If you don't like it, I don't care. Just because something is widely accepted, doesn't make it ok.

Double P.S. I hope they actually put an end to this. I may hate the UFC most of the time, but what's theirs is theirs, and they should be able to protect it.
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

You're very black and white about things Don
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

You cannot end piracy. If the UFC comes back to atlanta, then I will buy tickets. Other than that, I will stream their events.

Kevo, that is part of Don's charm. If you aren't first, you're last.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Thread Information