Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UFC sues New York man for more than $32 million for alleged piracy

Hybrid View

Default UFC sues New York man for more than $32 million for alleged piracy

UFC sues New York man for more than $32 million for alleged piracy

The UFC is stepping up its game in efforts to deter pirates from stealing its content. Once targeting individuals and websites for tens of thousands of dollars, the industry-leader is now going after millions.

As first reported by the New York Post, Zuffa, repped by anti-piracy lawyer Julie Lonstein, is suing a New York man and other unnamed defendants for allegedly uploading UFC events to torrent websites on 124 different occasions.

The promotion seeks more than $32 million in damages and court costs, according to the complaint, which was filed Tuesday in New York federal court and obtained by MMAjunkie. Download a copy of the complaint (right click) here.

Zuffa claims Staten Island resident Steven Messina and his co-defendants also encouraged others to upload and share UFC content and solicited donations to aid the practice.

Messina, 27, lives in Great Neck, N.Y., with his parents, according to the Post.

The suit alleges Messina pirated the material under the screen name “Secludedly” and includes a list of illegally uploaded events stretching back to May 2012. Zuffa said the defendants bragged about their exploits, claiming to be the “Provider of Best MMA & Boxing rips online!”

Zuffa is asking for up to $150,000 for each act of infringement; up to $110,000 for each illegal use of UFC content; up to $60,000 for intercepting UFC content; and lawyer’s fees.

The Post was unable to reach Messina for comment.

UFC just wants some extra easy money. Hopefully they realize that they will never ever stop piracy.

And if they do it will be worse for them. It is not that people that are watching for free will begin to pay.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    UFC just wants some extra easy money. Hopefully they realize that they will never ever stop piracy.

And if they do it will be worse for them. It is not that people that are watching for free will begin to pay.
    If you don't make a stand against your product being stolen then why would anybody bother paying for it?

Also a lot of the streaming sites are generating revenue from showing stuff like this which is no different then bootlegging and profiting off of the ufc while not compensating them at all. Even if you are making millions as you suggest I would think you'd be against people doing this.

4. Default

Hey Pashak, you know how you are an awesome musician? Well how about I take your work and make money off of it and you get nothing. Deal?
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Sakara=Excitement, do all your GIFs pass the litmus test?

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Hey Pashak, you know how you are an awesome musician? Well how about I take your work and make money off of it and you get nothing. Deal?

I find the way companies battle piracy to be pretty interesting. Video game companies are horrible at it because all their methods involve punishing their loyal users, with things like drm. Game of Thrones added a great incentive for people to buy their dvds, by addind a lot of extra content on them, much like Lord of the Rings. As far as the ufc goes, I don't really see them accomplishing much in the big picture with their anti-piracy strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by initial_zen View Post
    I find the way companies battle piracy to be pretty interesting. Video game companies are horrible at it because all their methods involve punishing their loyal users, with things like drm. Game of Thrones added a great incentive for people to buy their dvds, by addind a lot of extra content on them, much like Lord of the Rings. As far as the ufc goes, I don't really see them accomplishing much in the big picture with their anti-piracy strategy.
    Kevin Spacey on the future of TV/movie distribution - "...we have demonstrated that we've learned what the music industry didn't -- give people what they want, when they want it, in the form they want it in, at a reasonable price, and they'll more likely pay for it rather than steal it."
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Quote Originally Posted by kalebarker View Post
    Kevin Spacey on the future of TV/movie distribution - "...we have demonstrated that we've learned what the music industry didn't -- give people what they want, when they want it, in the form they want it in, at a reasonable price, and they'll more likely pay for it rather than steal it."
    I'm assuming he was referring to Netflix there?

The music industry has learned a fair bit they are still over priced (imo) but finally switching over to a digital delivery system that allows you to purchase what you want was a big step in the right direction

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    I'm assuming he was referring to Netflix there?

The music industry has learned a fair bit they are still over priced (imo) but finally switching over to a digital delivery system that allows you to purchase what you want was a big step in the right direction
    Imo, this is a large reason why itunes is so successful. They are just so damn convenient. If you want a song or album, all you have to do is click a few buttons and it automatically charges a few bucks to your account. The music industry screwed themselves over pretty hard when they first decided to fight piracy with lawsuits, rather than convert to what consumers wanted, downloadable digital copies.

I don't really know what the ufc should do to prevent piracy. The only things that come to mind are to add extra incentives for buying cards or lowering the prices, which I don't think they will do.
    Last edited by initial_zen; 05-02-2014 at 04:20 AM.

If I am still making plenty of millions, I have no problem.

It would be annoying at the beginning, but then I would see it differently.
    Ok, many people would be listening to my music for free instead of paying for it. But, it is not such a big problem first of all because that way, much more people will know about my product. And secondly, I am making tons of money anyway.
    Thirdly, If I see that it is impossible for me to change this situation, I will not be losing time on that. I will understand that there are some things that I will never be able to control, and Internet piracy is one of them.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Thread Information