Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: UFC sues New York man for more than $32 million for alleged piracy

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    I dont know if you read the entire article or not but he has to be the dumbest streamer inj the history of mankind. He was going around soliciting himself and charging people for his streams.
    Where did you get he was charging for his streams?

Soliciting donations to hep provide more stolen UFC content is not exactly the same as someone who is charging people for access to their streams.

Zuffa claims Staten Island resident Steven Messina and his co-defendants also encouraged others to upload and share UFC content and solicited donations to aid the practice.

If Pashak had music to steal, I would download it right now.

Ive seen his name 'secludedly' all over piratebay in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Tongan.Death.Grip View Post
    Ive seen his name 'secludedly' all over piratebay in the past.
    Found a news article on Torrentfreak.com about the whole situation. If you are just one guy and uploading numerous events from your house, you are kinda asking for trouble. And according to the article it seems like he was quite busy over at Piratebay.

http://torrentfreak.com/pirate-bay-u...awsuit-140501/
    Favourite fighters: Mark Hunt, Tom Niinimäki and Anton Kuivanen

They must just be making a statement. They have to know the people do not even have close to thy kind of money. They will declare bankruptcy if the suit goes through.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Where did you get he was charging for his streams?

Soliciting donations to hep provide more stolen UFC content is not exactly the same as someone who is charging people for access to their streams.
    In the article, there is a link to the original new york post article. It is kind of weird because the NY Post article said he's from Staten Island and mma junkie says long island but whatever here is the link: (ps you can also read the formal complaint in the mma junkie article)

http://nypost.com/2014/04/30/ufc-web...ve-mma-events/

UFC: Web ‘pirate’ owes $32M for stealing live MMA events
    This Staten Island tech geek had better bolt his parents’ front door.

The Ultimate Fighting Championship is suing Steven Messina, 27, accusing him of being one of the Internet’s most prolific piraters of their wildly popular Pay-Per-View events.

The mixed-martial-arts behemoth is seeking $32 million from Messina, who lives in Great Kills with his mom and dad, according to a Brooklyn federal lawsuit.

The UFC claims in its suit that Messina uploaded 141 UFC presentations to controversial file-sharing sites like Piratebay and provided a PayPal donation link to keep the illegal practice going.

While Messina thought he was operating anonymously from his parents’ home under the moniker “Secludedly,” UFC investigators tracked down his real name and location and avalanched him with the massive civil suit.

UFC officials took note of Messina after he became increasingly cocky about his growing online status and referred to himself as the “Provider of Best MMA & Boxing rips online!,” the suit states.

He asked viewers to “Help Me Cap PPV!” through his PayPal account, called “MMA Capping Fund!,” according to the court papers, which allege he was trying to become the king of PPV pirates online.

He and his cohorts “are intent on becoming the most well known pirates and infringers on the internet by making their mark on the major torrent websites available on the internet,” the suit states.

Messina did not return a call for comment.

Along with HBO Boxing and Vince McMahon’s World Wrestling Entertainment, the UFC is one of the highest-grossing PPV attractions on television.
    Last edited by IceCold48; 05-04-2014 at 06:07 PM.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    In the article, there is a link to the original new york post article.

http://nypost.com/2014/04/30/ufc-web...ve-mma-events/

UFC: Web ‘pirate’ owes $32M for stealing live MMA events
    I caught that part but what I was trying to point out is, this guy was not charging people to watch the streams he was providing but instead giving people the opportunity to donate towards his cause.

Not sure how much of a difference it would make legally but I think it is worth noting.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    I caught that part but what I was trying to point out is, this guy was not charging people to watch the streams he was providing but instead giving people the opportunity to donate towards his cause.

Not sure how much of a difference it would make legally but I think it is worth noting.
    Regardless he was still making money off of it.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

If all the donation money was reinvesting in providing people with content he isn't really making money off it.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Quote Originally Posted by kalebarker View Post
    If all the donation money was reinvesting in providing people with content he isn't really making money off it.
    He's making money off of it though just in the fact that he's collecting it and people are giving him money... whether it's a profitable venture or how he chooses to spend that money after receiving it doesn't really matter.

Thread Information