Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UFC sues New York man for more than $32 million for alleged piracy

Quote Originally Posted by kalebarker View Post
    Kevin Spacey on the future of TV/movie distribution - "...we have demonstrated that we've learned what the music industry didn't -- give people what they want, when they want it, in the form they want it in, at a reasonable price, and they'll more likely pay for it rather than steal it."
    I'm assuming he was referring to Netflix there?

The music industry has learned a fair bit they are still over priced (imo) but finally switching over to a digital delivery system that allows you to purchase what you want was a big step in the right direction

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    I'm assuming he was referring to Netflix there?

The music industry has learned a fair bit they are still over priced (imo) but finally switching over to a digital delivery system that allows you to purchase what you want was a big step in the right direction
    Imo, this is a large reason why itunes is so successful. They are just so damn convenient. If you want a song or album, all you have to do is click a few buttons and it automatically charges a few bucks to your account. The music industry screwed themselves over pretty hard when they first decided to fight piracy with lawsuits, rather than convert to what consumers wanted, downloadable digital copies.

I don't really know what the ufc should do to prevent piracy. The only things that come to mind are to add extra incentives for buying cards or lowering the prices, which I don't think they will do.
    Last edited by initial_zen; 05-02-2014 at 03:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by initial_zen View Post
    Imo, this is a large reason why itunes is so successful. They are just so damn convenient. If you want a song or album, all you have to do is click a few buttons and it automatically charges a few bucks to your account. The music industry screwed themselves over pretty hard when they first decided to fight piracy with lawsuits, rather than convert to what consumers wanted, downloadable digital copies.

I don't really know what the ufc should do to prevent piracy. The only things that come to mind are to add extra incentives for buying cards or lowering the prices, which I don't think they will do.
    Agreed with itunes and other suppliers of music.. I think the price point is still to high but that's the problem when you have to many hands reaching expecting to be paid for something like this a lot of whom have little to do with the actual product being made.

At the the price point they charge for PPV's they'll never stop piracy like you said the only way they'll see it decrease is with a drastic reduce in price or an entirely different package that makes it worth paying for. Cuttng back on the number of PPV's and stacking the cards would possibly help. Better cards less frequently would make them worth the price and fits better into a lot of people's budgets easier tho spend 60 bucks every couple months instead of at least once every 4 weeks. Wouldn't be entirely successful in eliminating piracy losses, but if they were able to pull in more viewers on Fox they could go the route of having more shows there and gain the ad revenue there as well

Are these people ever charged with a crime, or are they just sued by the UFC?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Agreed with itunes and other suppliers of music.. I think the price point is still to high but that's the problem when you have to many hands reaching expecting to be paid for something like this a lot of whom have little to do with the actual product being made.

At the the price point they charge for PPV's they'll never stop piracy like you said the only way they'll see it decrease is with a drastic reduce in price or an entirely different package that makes it worth paying for. Cuttng back on the number of PPV's and stacking the cards would possibly help. Better cards less frequently would make them worth the price and fits better into a lot of people's budgets easier tho spend 60 bucks every couple months instead of at least once every 4 weeks. Wouldn't be entirely successful in eliminating piracy losses, but if they were able to pull in more viewers on Fox they could go the route of having more shows there and gain the ad revenue there as well
    They should set up some deal with xbox, where you can split the price of a ppv with someone (or maybe a couple people) on your friends list, and let all of you stream it live on your xboxs at the same time.. that would actually be pretty cool with a party chat going. I'm sure Microsoft would love to work out some kind of deal with them, and I guarantee it will attract people who wouldn't normally buy the card. Hell, they wouldn't even need to have the option for all their ppv's, maybe just do it for special occasions and and pimp out a sponsor, like call of duty, while they're at it.
    Last edited by initial_zen; 05-04-2014 at 09:39 PM.

They should set p some deal with xbox, where you can split the price of a ppv with someone (or maybe a couple people) on your friends list, and let all of you stream it live on your xboxs at the same time.. that would actually be pretty cool with a party chat going. I'm sure Microsoft would love to work out some kind of deal with them, and I guarantee it will attract people who wouldn't normally buy the card. Hell, they wouldn't even need to have the option for all their ppv's, maybe just do it for special occasions and and pimp out a sponsor, like call of duty, while they're at it.
    That sir is an awesome idea. Imagine our crew being able to link up and comment during a good fight instead of wasting time typing.

I prefer Bandcamp. I have the option to download albums in FLAC and I don't have to put shitty software on my computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Hey Pashak, you know how you are an awesome musician? Well how about I take your work and make money off of it and you get nothing. Deal?
    One thing worth noting is, a streamed event is much lower quality than a paid for HD PPV event.

I would be willing to bet not too many musicians would give a shit if you were to tape one of their songs off the radio to a cassette tape, which would be about the equivalent quality of a stream.

Quote Originally Posted by VimyRidge View Post
    Sakara=Excitement, do all your GIFs pass the litmus test?
    Nope. The UFC view animated GIFs as a copyright infringement.

Quote Originally Posted by W.Silva>C.Norris View Post
    Can we assume that 10% roughly of the income they generate goes to fighter pay (overall)? So, that would be 15,000 per event more dollars in the fighters pockets if that guy didnt steal the UFC product, reproduce it, and essentially enable thousands of others to steal it.
    I think that is a big leap in your assumptions to think the fighters would get an increase in pay when/if people stopped streaming or downloading events. I personally dont think the fighters pay would be changed at all if the UFC earned an extra 150k per event, expect for those hand full of fighters who have ppv points in their contracts. But even then, I bet only about 25% of 'streamers' would pay for an event if they did not have the option to stream.

If you don't make a stand against your product being stolen then why would anybody bother paying for it?

Also a lot of the streaming sites are generating revenue from showing stuff like this which is no different then bootlegging and profiting off of the ufc while not compensating them at all. Even if you are making millions as you suggest I would think you'd be against people doing this.
    I agree with your point... But as the music industry has came to realize, taking a stand against piracy is not going to increase you bottom line. Fringe fans and those who cannot afford to pay for the product are the typical streamer, if anything illegal streaming is helping grow the sport and interest in it.

I agree.

Lowering the prices or increasing the quality of the product you get for you 60$ is the only way to decrease illegal streams and piracy.

The law is not an effective deterrent in most cases.

With all that said and before anyways loses their shit, yes, piracy is illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by VimyRidge View Post
    Sakara=Excitement, do all your GIFs pass the litmus test?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Nope. The UFC view animated GIFs as a copyright infringement.
    Have they ever successfully sued over GIFs? I thought that, maybe with the exception of long gifs that serve to replay a short fight in entirety, that this would be protected under fair usage. For example, this GIF (couldn't resist...)

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    Have they ever successfully sued over GIFs? I thought that, maybe with the exception of long gifs that serve to replay a short fight in entirety, that this would be protected under fair usage. For example, this GIF (couldn't resist...)
    I dont think they have gone after people who post gifs - not that it would not still be considered copyright infringement.

I think they have just been forcing websites to take them down.

Thread Information