Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UFC sues New York man for more than $32 million for alleged piracy

Oh getting sued for 32 millions, unless the guy is a millionaire the UFC will never see that money. The only effect this has (and other such cases) is that it will ruin one individual's life and maybe, maybe scare away few pirates who will soon be replaced by newcomers who will be even more careful when uploading events online.
    If they actually want to battle piracy in a effective way they should start attacking sites that actually offer those uploaded events. Taking down one guy does absolutely nothing....

Or they should start looking at their own product more closely and actually try to figure out what makes people pirate their event instead of buying it for 65 dollars (?). The price itself is ridicilous considering how watered down half of the cards are. At least we don't have to pay 65 euros/dollars for a single event in Finland...
    Last edited by Flou; 05-02-2014 at 11:26 AM.
    Favourite fighters: Mark Hunt, Tom Niinimäki and Anton Kuivanen

Feel free to tell me I'm a thief and a jerk and etc. etc....

But I think this is LAME corporate greed.

Pasha K... I agree with you man.

And I will continue to stream/download/steal UFC fights as long as I can.
    And I won't feel bad about it IN THE LEAST.
    And the UFC will CONTINUE to pull in MASSIVE profit and be JUST FINE!!!!

Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    I agree with your point... But as the music industry has came to realize, taking a stand against piracy is not going to increase you bottom line. Fringe fans and those who cannot afford to pay for the product are the typical streamer, if anything illegal streaming is helping grow the sport and interest in it.
    That is a good point about it generating interest. One of the producers the main guys that works HBO is quite ok with Game of Thrones being the most pirated show on TV at the moment because he feels it leads to DVD sales down the road.

I get the argument that a lot of the pirating that goes on is people who would not pay if they had no other choice and there is certainly merit to that. I do think there are a lot of people that do stream/download the PPV's though that can afford it. A while back the UFC actually did a blitz across Toronto and gave a bunch of bars cease and desists orders for illegal streaming. Found this out because the bar we frequented was not paying for a commercial license even though it was packed on UFC nights.

It is a losing battle for them either way though and the only real way to combat piracy is to alter your product to the point that piracy isn't an option that people feel inclined to use.

Quote Originally Posted by initial_zen View Post
    Imo, this is a large reason why itunes is so successful. They are just so damn convenient. If you want a song or album, all you have to do is click a few buttons and it automatically charges a few bucks to your account. The music industry screwed themselves over pretty hard when they first decided to fight piracy with lawsuits, rather than convert to what consumers wanted, downloadable digital copies.

I don't really know what the ufc should do to prevent piracy. The only things that come to mind are to add extra incentives for buying cards or lowering the prices, which I don't think they will do.
    I remember having to pay $25 for CDs that only had a few good songs on them. Napsters couldn't come soon enough.

I don't think it would be unreasonable for them to lower their PPV prices on the UFC.TV site. When people order a PPV through their cable the money is split 50/50 with the PPV provider. If they charged $40 instead of $60 on UFC.TV they would still be making more money streaming a PPV than providing it via cable.

There is always to WWE model. They have a package similar to Fight Pass but it also includes access to all the PPVs. If they bumped up the price of fight pass and included PPVs I would gladly pay for it. Right now, for the money it costs to buy all the PPVs, I could pay to get access to every NHL, NBA, MLB and NFL game.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Attacking piracy is like the war on Drugs, they will nwver win.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    Attacking piracy is like the war on Drugs, they will nwver win.
    Considering a lot of pirating sites are hosted in countries that do not have piracy laws it is pretty much impossible to stop.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    That is a good point about it generating interest. One of the producers the main guys that works HBO is quite ok with Game of Thrones being the most pirated show on TV at the moment because he feels it leads to DVD sales down the road.
    Exactly. Word of mouth alone will slowly benefit quality productions, in some twisted way online pirates kinda end up working as a "free marketing unit" around the globe by creating a buzz around quality productions.
    Not to mention all those people who start pirating a show in the beginning might turn into customers later on when they find something worth paying for.

And sometimes the reason for piracy is just to get the show earlier. During this day and age, it's really difficult to avoid spoilers if you are active online. For example Walking Dead was heavily pirated in Helsinki, I think it was on top10 list of locations in the world, until Fox decided to start airing the episodes here the next damn day and piracy ratings plummeted in Helsinki and Finland.

These industries just need to adapt to this modern age, instead of fighting a battle they can't win and luckily some of the industries are and have been doing exactly this.
    Favourite fighters: Mark Hunt, Tom Niinimäki and Anton Kuivanen

Iron Maiden hired a company to see which countries torrented the most music from them. When they found their music was heavily pirated in South America they started to focus their touring there. It's worked out well for them.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...tours-20131226

On a side note,
    How the hell did this guy get caught! What kind of moron does that level of pirate shit FROM THEIR HOUSE.l?

Quote Originally Posted by Tongan.Death.Grip View Post
    On a side note,
    How the hell did this guy get caught! What kind of moron does that level of pirate shit FROM THEIR HOUSE.l?
    I dont know if you read the entire article or not but he has to be the dumbest streamer inj the history of mankind. He was going around soliciting himself and charging people for his streams.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Thread Information