Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rebney ecstatic over redesigned glove

If the gloves do help with injuries and eye pokes, then I'm happy there's a solution. Awesome for the sport.

Harsher, swifter punishment for eye pokes will do more than any glove modification will ever do, short of a glove that cuts off a fighter's fingers when they put it on.
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

Should be a claw glove where your fingers can't poke.

Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

I wonder if Dana will embrace these gloves? if so will he begrudgingly give Bjorn credit?
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by CA_Gas Bag View Post
    If the gloves do help with injuries and eye pokes, then I'm happy there's a solution. Awesome for the sport.
    These gloves are supposed to be build so it harder to keep your fingers extended. It would be interesting to see the amount of eye pokes bellator has had since the introduction of the gloves compared to the ufc.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Bellator announces initial injury data on new 'Powerlock' MMA glove
    http://mmajunkie.com/2014/05/bellato...lock-mma-glove
    According to a press release:

Since the new gloves debuted at Bellator 110, Bellator has held nine events and experienced zero hand breaks inside the Bellator cage. By way of comparison, Bellator Season 8 saw eleven events using the old glove design, and included eight broken hands during the season, including welterweight champion Douglas Lima and lightweight standouts Saad Awad and Alexander Sarnavskiy. Bellator’s ninth season also featured eleven events, and saw seven fighters suffer breaks, including Herman Terrado, Joe Taimanglo and once again, Douglas Lima.

The revamped gloves feature a slight curve to its design, as well as additional padding for the first and fifth metacarpal, which are commonly injured bones. Everlast also touts “redesigned” foam for the glove’s striking area. The goal was to promote proper hand form and technique, with the promise to reduce face, hand and wrist injuries.

In today’s announcement, fighters such as Lima and Bellator 120 co-headliner Quinton Jackson endorsed the glove.

“When I put on these new gloves for my recent title fight, I already felt better,” stated Lima, who defeated Rick Hawn at Bellator 117 to win the vacant belt. “I could tell it was going to add more protection and felt like it was designed just for me. It put me more at ease, and I walked out of that fight with the belt around my waist and my hands felt great.”

According to Rebney, Bellator and Everlast may identify other equipment to improve.

“As our sport continues developing, fighters have become bigger, faster and stronger while delivering strikes with more velocity and power,” he stated. “Broken hands take fighters out of the sport for months and sometimes years. It’s incumbent on us to put fighters in the best possible position to eliminate those injuries where possible. This new design has revolutionized fighter hand protection and safety. And, I will keep working with our team and partners to find additional sports technology advancements that can help our fighters.”
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Thread Information