Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mayweather vs Maidana fight in jeopardy: Will glove controversy cancel tonight's PPV?

Default Mayweather vs Maidana fight in jeopardy: Will glove controversy cancel tonight's PPV?

Mayweather vs Maidana fight in jeopardy: Will glove controversy cancel tonight's PPV?
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/5/3/...marcos-maidana
    Tonight is Floyd Mayweather vs. Marcos Maidana in a boxing mega-fight. Or is it? Team Mayweather says the fight may be cancelled if Maidana does not change his gloves. Get the details here.

We are less than 24 hours away from the latest fight from boxing's pound for pound king and top draw Floyd Mayweather, but in the past hours, that fight has hit a snag. Mayweather is scheduled to face Marcos Maidana tonight, Saturday May 3 live on Showtime PPV, but if the Mayweather camp is to be believed, that fight may be in jeopardy.

The issue at play here is the gloves Maidana wants to wear into the ring. Maidana wants to wear a pair of custom Everlast gloves into the ring Saturday night. Mayweather and his camp have argued that those gloves are not properly padded, giving Maidana an unfair advantage in the fight. As the fight takes place in Las Vegas, it is under the domain of the Nevada State Athletic Commission. That commission has inspected the gloves and ruled that they are allowed, but despite the commission approval, Team Mayweather is demanding a change. Yesterday was full of meetings between the camps, commission, and Showtime executives. Maidana's camp proposed an alternative glove, but those too were denied by Mayweather's team.

As of now, no final verdict has been reached, but Mayweather's manager Leonard Ellerbe has definitively stated that is the gloves are not changed, "We're not fighting."

If Mayweather were to pull out, the entire PPV would be cancelled.

To be clear, the chances of this fight actually being cancelled are miniscule. The repercussions to Mayweather would be huge. When you factor in the venue, the PPV, Showtime, the live audience, the closed circuit, the commission... there are just too many constituencies at play here for Mayweather to anger. And this would indeed come down entirely on Mayweather - the gloves are commission approved, so there is no reason to not allow Maidana to fight in them.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Mayweather vs Maidana: Riots break out at MGM after Mayweather vs Maidana fight, gun fired

Apparently the fans weren't altogether pleased with the result of the close fight between Floyd Mayweather and Marcos Maidana. Despite a very strong effort from Maidana, Mayweather took two judges' scorecards while one judge had the bout a draw.

Consequently, a riot broke out at the post-fight presser. Spectators took to Twitter to describe the mayhem.

Apparently there were people injured, trampled in an incident when folks were rushing from arena. #boxing #MayweatherMaidana
    — Dan Rafael (@danrafaelespn) May 4, 2014

Shots fired at MGM, riots broke out, ppl bleeding, chairs broken, stores damaged, it was a zoo. I ranned out of there!
    — Kimberly (@kimmy_kLopez) May 4, 2014

Scary way to end my trip....almost being trampled after shots ring out behind me at the MGM Grand. #vegas #rachet
    — Tim McTee (@THEMCTEE) May 4, 2014

A few bystanders even reported that a gun was discharged at the scene.

Ridiculous scenes at the MGM Grand after the fight. Some guy starting shooting a gun and there was riot / stampede on the way out. Scary.
    — Andrew Harding (@AndrewHarding9) May 4, 2014

Not sure what happen. leaving fight. Someone brought a gun.... And I think shots were fired at MGM. It was chaos for a few minutes" UP A RA
    — Dennis Morrison (@DennisMorrison_) May 4, 2014
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Aside from boxing, Floyd Mayweather's favorite pastime has to be making money—and then bragging about it.

After Mayweather's victory over Marcos Maidana that banked him a cool $32 million, Money May posted a photo that breaks down his payout by the numbers.

According to his caption, he hasn't even earned half of what he's set to receive: "$32,000,000.00 for 36 minutes. I'm waiting for the PPV numbers to come in so I can make another $38,000,000.00 on the back-end... making it a grand total of $70,000,000.00."

Chances are, we'll be seeing a lot more of Mayweather's new toys on his Instagram soon enough, especially after he gets his full payout.
    Holy. Shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

I don't understand how people could think that Floyd lost that fight. Definitely not automatic rematch worthy.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    I don't understand how people could think that Floyd lost that fight. Definitely not automatic rematch worthy.
    It was closer than I thought, especially the early rounds. But Mayweather pulled away the second half of the fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

He fought like Ricky Hatton, the only difference was that it went the distance. Sloppy/partially blocked strikes gainst the ropes isnt equal to accurate/clean landing power shots.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

I wonder what people with that much money do.

I mean, I bet he already has all the cars he wants, all the mansions everywhere he wants, he has been in all places he wanted, all the clothes, he has absolutely everything. What do you do with the money when you are already a billionaire and then you get some 70 millions more?

Him, his children and grand children already have their life solved. They can never work a single day in their lives and they will still have enough money.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Despite that he has so much money now, he will be broke within 7 years of retiring. The life he lives will outpace his earnings, and all of that child support will take its toll. Its difficult to chamge the way you live when you have lived so lavishly for so long.

I fully expect to see him on a documentary about broke former athletes. The man doesnt leave home without 1mill in cash on him at all times.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era

I think that he will still make tons of money after he retires.
    If that guy manages to get those insane amounts of money, it means that aside of being a great boxer, he definitely is a good businessman.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

ugh, fuck this rematch...

WE ARE ALL WITNESS: JANUARY 3, 2015

Thread Information