+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyoto Machida: I know how to beat Chris Weidman

Default Lyoto Machida: I know how to beat Chris Weidman

Lyoto Machida: I know how to beat Chris Weidman
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/5/4/...-chris-weidman
    "The extra time to train was good, but at the same time it was not," Machida told MMAFighting.com. "I was training hard and would be ready to fight in May even though I got the offer with two months’ notice, but I will use the extra weeks to work even better and get in there stronger."

At 2-0 since dropping down to middleweight, with wins over Mark Munoz and Gegard Mousasi, "The Dragon" is confident that his takedown defense and stand-up weapons will be enough to give Weidman his first professional loss.

"He has a good wrestling game and hits hard," Machida said. "He has a good cardio but I believe a lot in what I do and in my work. I believe in me."

With a powerful grappling background, Weidman will go for takedowns at UFC 175, and the Brazilian doesn’t expect an easier night since the champion had to go through knee surgeries.

"As a champion, I know he would never take risks if he really didn’t need it," he said. "I don’t think he will be in disadvantage because of the surgeries. He wouldn’t risk his title, so I believe he will be 100 percent ready."
    "I sure do (know how to beat him)," he said, "but I won’t tell you how now [laughs]."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Lyoto seems to have more confidence recently and be in better shape. Really looking forward to this fight; crazy to think that Silva may not be Weidman's toughest test this year!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Either that or some cooter-crabs.
    It's gonna be a good weekend

3. Default

This fight is going to be either absolutely thrilling, or the most frustrating fight ever. There will be no middle ground. How Weidman manages to close the distance will be the deciding factor.

Quote Originally Posted by W.Silva>C.Norris View Post
    This fight is going to be either absolutely thrilling, or the most frustrating fight ever. There will be no middle ground. How Weidman manages to close the distance will be the deciding factor.
    Yeah and he hasn't really been hit hard in his career so we don't really know anything about his chin. I'm a little nervous for this fight not gonna lie hopefully he pulls it off.

Chris will be fine. Machida's puzzle has been solved multiple times, his style will be ineffective.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Machida has the style to beat anyone. He just hangs back too much sometimes. When hes a bit aggressive he actually has more success with his combos

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    Chris will be fine. Machida's puzzle has been solved multiple times, his style will be ineffective.
    I'm not sure about that. And while I'm a Weidman fan, I think he's a particularly slow MW. He's going to have trouble closely quickly and finding the angles he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    I'm not sure about that. And while I'm a Weidman fan, I think he's a particularly slow MW. He's going to have trouble closely quickly and finding the angles he wants.
    I dont think Machida has ever lost to anyone with not only a good chin but a great chin. Shogun had never been knocked out in his career at that point, Rampage and Davis were never knocked out in their UFC careers. Obviously neither has Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    I dont think Machida has ever lost to anyone with not only a good chin but a great chin. Shogun had never been knocked out in his career at that point, Rampage and Davis were never knocked out in their UFC careers. Obviously neither has Jones.
    Not sure I follow this.. Lyoto lost to those guys. Are you saying he's never beaten anyone with a great chin? Because I think Hendo and Gegard both qualify there.

O kinda chuckled at this. I mean I like Machida plenty but has he ever really changed his approach to a figh? To me all he is saying is that hanging back and looking for an opening or Cou teeing is the way to beat weidman. I think when you are facing Machida, you have a pretty good idea what kind of fight you are going to get.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information