Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lyoto Machida: I know how to beat Chris Weidman

Quote Originally Posted by Jelyman View Post
    O kinda chuckled at this. I mean I like Machida plenty but has he ever really changed his approach to a figh? To me all he is saying is that hanging back and looking for an opening or Cou teeing is the way to beat weidman. I think when you are facing Machida, you have a pretty good idea what kind of fight you are going to get.
    he was very different in the Munoz fight than he was in both the Davis and Mousasi fights.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Quote Originally Posted by W.Silva>C.Norris View Post
    This fight is going to be either absolutely thrilling, or the most frustrating fight ever. There will be no middle ground. How Weidman manages to close the distance will be the deciding factor.
    That's the standard Machida fight now a days. It's all a matter of how aggressive his opponent is in trying to make things happen how good the fight will be.

I'm curious to see if Weidman is going to try and take this to the ground or if he is going to try and keep it standing.

Machida's takedown defense is underrated. Lyoto held an 80+% TDD in the LHW division while being comparatively undersized. Weidman better make the most of those takedowns because he won't get more than a couple.

The Machida Era 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    Machida's takedown defense is underrated. Lyoto held an 80+% TDD in the LHW division while being comparatively undersized. Weidman better make the most of those takedowns because he won't get more than a couple.

The Machida Era 2.0

But the machida era 1.0 never actually happened...also his takedown defense is not underrated. He is very well known for having good takedown defense, just because a figther is good at somethign doesn't mean they are underrated.

To some it is underrated. I have been hearing much talk of Weidman easily taking him down in articles and videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    To some it is underrated. I have been hearing much talk of Weidman easily taking him down in articles and videos.
    I think that is more of a testiment to Weidman being able to take down anybody than it is Machida having bad take down defense. Weidman has not had much issues taking people down in his career.

7. Default

One differance I see is fighters watched and trained to beat Silva for years Chris seemed to have Andersons Number like he trained so much for him he had great automatic reactions for Anderson. If that is so Machida could pose problems from being different and not taking Chris litely. If Chris's game plan doesn't work from the start it could easly be a bad night for him as Machida could be up 3 rds before he does

Thread Information