Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jose Aldo to defend UFC featherweight title Aug. 2 at Staples Center

Default Jose Aldo to defend UFC featherweight title Aug. 2 at Staples Center

Jose Aldo to defend UFC featherweight title Aug. 2 at Staples Center
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/sports...m_source=15600
    Jose Aldo, the Ultimate Fighting Championship's dominant featherweight champion, will defend his belt in a rematch against top-ranked contender Chad Mendes of Sacramento on Aug. 2 at Staples Center in UFC 176.
    Am I the only one underwhelmed by this announcement?

I like this fight as long as Chad doesn't try taking Aldo down against the cage. I think Aldo would grab the cage again and risk a point rather than be under Chad for a round.

Quote Originally Posted by 1inthechamber View Post
    I like this fight as long as Chad doesn't try taking Aldo down against the cage. I think Aldo would grab the cage again and risk a point rather than be under Chad for a round.
    Yeah Aldo's TDD isn't the greatest. Hominick took him down easily and held him there dominating him from the top. Mendes has gotta get the takedown in the middle of the octagon.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    Yeah Aldo's TDD isn't the greatest. Hominick took him down easily and held him there dominating him from the top. Mendes has gotta get the takedown in the middle of the octagon.
    Pretty much and Chad is a monster but I don't think he can stand with Aldo. But he can't look so desperate for the tds. He should take emwwhen he can.

Mendes win 50-45.
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

Are you kidding me? Jose Aldo has one of the best TDD in the game. Hominick took him down when Aldo was gassed at the very end. Almost all the time when Aldo even gets taken down, he springs right back up.

I'm not here to condone the blatant cage grab that Aldo did against Mendes, but before that, Aldo stuffed 6 of Mendes' TD attempts, against Frankie he stuffed 9 of 11 (one of them shouldn't even count as a TD), against florian he stuffed 18 of 19 TD attempts, against Faber he stuffed all 9 attempts, and against Mike Brown he stuffed all 4 attempts. The only time we have even seen Aldo on his back for a decent amount of time is right at the end of the fight when his gas tank isn't up to par.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    Are you kidding me? Jose Aldo has one of the best TDD in the game. Hominick took him down when Aldo was gassed at the very end. Almost all the time when Aldo even gets taken down, he springs right back up.

I'm not here to condone the blatant cage grab that Aldo did against Mendes, but before that, Aldo stuffed 6 of Mendes' TD attempts, against Frankie he stuffed 9 of 11 (one of them shouldn't even count as a TD), against florian he stuffed 18 of 19 TD attempts, against Faber he stuffed all 9 attempts, and against Mike Brown he stuffed all 4 attempts. The only time we have even seen Aldo on his back for a decent amount of time is right at the end of the fight when his gas tank isn't up to par.
    Frankie only gets takedowns bc of his boxing and speed. He's significantly worse than Aldo in both of those areas.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Frankie only gets takedowns bc of his boxing and speed. He's significantly worse than Aldo in both of those areas.
    Also his strength.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Mendes has been impressive since their first fight. Riding a five fight winning streak and wrecking four straight opponents (three inside the first round) before winning a decision over Lentz. Wasn't there a point where he said he was ill before and/or during the fight?

The first round will likely be slow paced because neither will want to overcommit to anything. Unless Mendes just throws everything at him for the duration of the fight in an attempt to tire him out.

The two clear cut top guys fighting in a rematch. It should be good.

Thread Information