Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jose Aldo to defend UFC featherweight title Aug. 2 at Staples Center

Quote Originally Posted by kalebarker View Post
    Also his strength.
    That was not a takedown though...
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Quote Originally Posted by CA_Gas Bag View Post
    Mendes has been impressive since their first fight. Riding a five fight winning streak and wrecking four straight opponents (three inside the first round) before winning a decision over Lentz. Wasn't there a point where he said he was ill before and/or during the fight?

The first round will likely be slow paced because neither will want to overcommit to anything. Unless Mendes just throws everything at him for the duration of the fight in an attempt to tire him out.

The two clear cut top guys fighting in a rematch. It should be good.
    I think Chad's biggest improvement this fight is going to be his mental improvement. It seemed like he was a little scared of Aldo the first time. He has looked like a much more confident fighter over the last couple years.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Quote Originally Posted by W.Silva>C.Norris View Post
    Also ignoring the cage grab, that turn around knee he KO'd Mendes with the last fight was f'ing glorious.
    How can you just ignore the cage grab? That knee wouldn't have happened without it. If it weren't a title fight I could have seen Mendes appealing it to be overturned to a no contest.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    Are you kidding me? Jose Aldo has one of the best TDD in the game. Hominick took him down when Aldo was gassed at the very end. Almost all the time when Aldo even gets taken down, he springs right back up.

I'm not here to condone the blatant cage grab that Aldo did against Mendes, but before that, Aldo stuffed 6 of Mendes' TD attempts, against Frankie he stuffed 9 of 11 (one of them shouldn't even count as a TD), against florian he stuffed 18 of 19 TD attempts, against Faber he stuffed all 9 attempts, and against Mike Brown he stuffed all 4 attempts. The only time we have even seen Aldo on his back for a decent amount of time is right at the end of the fight when his gas tank isn't up to par.
    I was about to say.. Aldo's great takedown defense is one of the reasons why he is able to implement his amazing stand up.

I'm picking Money again.

IMO, the entire complexion of the first fight feels tainted and I'd like to see a clearer and cleaner conclusion....

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    How can you just ignore the cage grab? That knee wouldn't have happened without it. If it weren't a title fight I could have seen Mendes appealing it to be overturned to a no contest.
    I am drunk but I believe he was speaking hypothetically and if he ignored the cage grab then the KO was beautiful. That KO was beautiful...But those of us who hate the fuck out of that cage grabb which is probs him 2 wont rank it in our favs cause it shouldn't havve happened.
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

Quote Originally Posted by CA_Gas Bag View Post
    Mendes has been impressive since their first fight. Riding a five fight winning streak and wrecking four straight opponents (three inside the first round) before winning a decision over Lentz. Wasn't there a point where he said he was ill before and/or during the fight?

The first round will likely be slow paced because neither will want to overcommit to anything. Unless Mendes just throws everything at him for the duration of the fight in an attempt to tire him out.

The two clear cut top guys fighting in a rematch. It should be good.
    The only part of this post I like is this..The two clear cut top guys fighting in a rematch. It should be good.

Other then that Mendes hasn't just been on a tare but always was and his lone lose could be not there if not for illegal activities,
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

Quote Originally Posted by W.Silva>C.Norris View Post
    Essentially yeah. The cage grab completely changed the fight, and totally affected the outcome, but yes, I was just referring to the turn-around knee in and of itself. Absolutely beautiful.

Sorry for speaking on your behalf, But I suppose I got it right without being the Douche I can be.

-Sam Rockwell

Thread Information