+ Reply to Thread

Thread: UFC removes T.J. Grant from official lightweight rankings

Default UFC removes T.J. Grant from official lightweight rankings

UFC removes T.J. Grant from official lightweight rankings

Approaching a full year since his last fight, the UFC has taken lightweight contender T.J. Grant off of the rankings list.

Less than 12 months ago, T.J. Grant (21-5) was slotted for a PPV main event lightweight title fight against then-champion Ben Henderson. The Canadian had earned it after an upset knockout against Gray Maynard at UFC 160 on May 25th, a win that extended his unbeaten run at lightweight to 5-0. A concussion suffered in training soon forced him out of the Henderson fight, which is why Anthony Pettis is the current champion. Grant's concussion problems are still lingering, and with Pettis is instead fighting Gilbert Melendez at the end of the year, he's officially lost his spot as "#1 contender".

Today, the UFC's rankings page was updated, and Grant's name has been removed from his #4 spot and is unranked -- which I guess means that he can no longer "milk" his injury like Michael Johnson claimed. Everyone ranked below him has moved up one spot, with Jorge Masvidal entering the top 15 for the first time.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Well I get that he's been injured, but if we're following that logic, what the fuck is Dominick Cruz doing still ranked?

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

It's possibly because Cruz did have a signed contract but pulled out of the fight.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Quote Originally Posted by kalebarker View Post
    It's possibly because Cruz did have a signed contract but pulled out of the fight.
    Yeah that's what I was thinking, but still I don't think he should be there. They removed Lil Nog too for the same reason if I remember correctly.

Just read an article (haven't checked the rankings myself) that said Nate Diaz was removed from lightweight rankings too.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    Just read an article (haven't checked the rankings myself) that said Nate Diaz was removed from lightweight rankings too.
    Well that is very stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    Well that is very stupid.
    I like it if it means that they're in the middle of installing a consistent policy that says "X amount of time away and you're temporarily off rankings" that seems fair. It might be a little soon for Nate to be removed, but otherwise I think it's a fair way of keeping your title contenders obvious to casual fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Either that or some cooter-crabs.
    It's gonna be a good weekend

Trainer: If T.J. Grant got booted from rankings, why are Dominick Cruz and Cat Zingano still ranked?
    http://www.mmamania.com/2014/5/9/569...ill-ranked-mma

McLean explained his stance to Full Contact Fighter:

"I don't think it matters in the long run regardless, but it seems a little silly, a little premature on their part. If he was refusing fights and healthy, well, then that's up to them. But that's not the case, they know the difference."

In a follow up comment, McLean says if inactivity is the sole reason for getting booted from the rankings, then how does it explain that Dominick Cruz -- a fighter who hasn't seen the inside of the Octagon in two years due to injury -- still holding a spot?

So too, is Cat Zingano, who is still the the current No. 1 contender to the women's bantamweight strap, despite sitting on the sidelines for nearly a year due to injury.

According to McLean, if you're going to start making new rules, then they have to apply to everyone.

His beef:

"I would question the UFC's decision again as Dominick Cruz is still ranked at No. 9 and Cat Zingano at No. 1. I am sure there are others. In the long run I doubt it will make much difference, but that's not the point. For me sometimes things are a little bit more about principle. The principle of knocking him off the rankings. It's completely fine if they follow suit in everybody who hasn't fought in eleven months and two weeks, and whatever days, whatever it happens to be, if they're bumped from the rankings, but if not, then you know what's the reasoning behind it? If it's just due to inactivity, cool, then they're going to have to do that for everybody."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Zuffa wants to move someone up higher in the rankings who would be lower than him in order to increase the sale of a fight to the fans: #6 suddenly becomes #5, etc. The variability of the inactivity will be not be consistent. Zuffa management is anything but consistent with regards to treatment of fighters.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    It's true. And the article raised some very cool points about what that kind of "rigging" means in terms of the credibility/validity of the UFC's rankings.

Check it out : http://mmajunkie.com/2014/05/with-uf...uestions-arise

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information