Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anderson Silva cleared to train, White says end-of-year return would be 'great'

Default Anderson Silva cleared to train, White says end-of-year return would be 'great'

Anderson Silva cleared to train, White says end-of-year return would be 'great'
    http://mmajunkie.com/2014/05/anderso...would-be-great
    Anderson Silva‘s doctor from Los Angeles’ Kerlan-Jobe clinic today cleared the ex-champ to begin training in MMA, his longtime manager Ed Soares told MMAjunkie.

“We’ve talked with the UFC, and we’ll see what they come up with,” said Soares when asked what’s in store for Silva when he returns.

If you’ve been following Silva’s social media postings, the change is merely a formal designation. The ex-UFC middleweight champ has been seen training in boxing with Freddie Roach, lifting weights, grappling, and all the other components to preparing for competition.

In any event, Silva’s recovery appears to be well ahead of schedule five months after he broke his leg while attempting to win back the title in a rematch with current champ Chris Weidman at UFC 168.

Now, the question is when the future UFC Hall of Famer will return. Soares said it is too early to pinpoint an exact time frame for Silva’s return, but agreed with a window UFC President Dana White gave MMAjunkie in a recent interview.

White repeatedly has said the ex-champ would return before the end of the year, but this past Friday said, “He could be the last fight of this year or the first fight of next year.”

Asked about a potential year-end return, White said, “That would be great.”

Earlier this year, Silva told a Brazilian media outlet that he wouldn’t return before the end of the year. White, though, didn’t put much stock in that opinion.

“What? Anderson Silva is saying something completely opposite of what’s happening? I don’t believe it,” he joked. “This is what he does every time he talks to the media. He says, ‘I absolutely will not fight Chael Sonnen again.’

“He always does that with the media. I don’t know if he likes to play with you guys or what he likes to do, but I said, he’ll be back in 2014 or first thing in 2015. End of 2014 or beginning of 2015 is what I said.”

Silva (33-6 MMA, 16-2 UFC), who lives in Los Angeles, linked up with the Kerlan-Jobe Clinic shortly after his injury, which awarded Weidman (11-0 MMA, 7-0 UFC) his second win over the once-dominant champ. The clinic has treated dozens of professional athletes and its doctors have served as team physicians for sports teams such as the Los Angeles Lakers.

Soares wouldn’t say who the 39-year-old champ wouldn’t like to fight next, though another chance to win the belt is undoubtedly at the top of the list.

“He’s not one to call anyone out particularly,” said Soares.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Time for that Mousassi dream match from few yr's back!!
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

Anderson Silva is saying something completely opposite of what’s happening? This is what he does every time he talks to the media. I am proud of him. He is learning many things from me
    Fixed
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Silva/Bisping in London. Fuckin do it already. Put it on fight pass, and watch the # of subscriptions bump.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Anderson VS Bisping in London.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

Bisping can't hang with him. Give the guy the just beat Bisping.

Quote Originally Posted by hass View Post
    Of course he can't hang with him. But there's not a lot of fighters ahead of him he can hang with. He's also no where near a title shot, and Silva shouldn't be either. The UFC has wanted this fight for a while, I say now is the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

8. Default

I love the Bisping fight idea actually. Mike has been calling to fight Silva for years, so lets see it happen.

On a side note, has anyone really missed Anderson so far? It sort of dawned on me after reading this article that I really havent noticed his absence as much as I thought I would. Dont get me wrong, I am a fan, I enjoy watching most of his fights(much more so before the showboating and taunting started, but...) I just havent really seen a big void since he was on the injury shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by hass View Post
    Bearing in mind that I don't see Anderson ever making another run at the title, I wouldn't give him Kennedy. Tim is too big of a threat with too little cache for Anderson to fight. If Tim beats him, it's 3 losses in a row for Silva, and the last one to someone the casual fans don't know shit about. If Anderson beats him, it's "wow. he beat a guy nobody knew about, and who wasn't ranked top 10 last year."

But if he fights Bisping, it's a nice draw, and either outcome can be spun successfully by the reality-makers in zuffa's labs: if Anderson wins, it's "Yay, he's still relevant, outstriking outstanding striker and perrennial contender Michael "the Count" Bisping! blahblahblah. If Pip wins, it's "Wow, way to bounce back from an off night against Tim Kennedy and right back into title contention!" The latter gets more legs if Weidman beats Machida convincingly and Belfort stays weird and unreliable...or the results of his test are published and are less than flattering, public-relationally.

Quote Originally Posted by W.Silva>C.Norris View Post
    On a side note, has anyone really missed Anderson so far?
    roadawg still lurks around, even if he isn't posting. I'm sure he does.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

3 losses in a row for Silva? Did I miss something?
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

Thread Information