Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fabio Maldonado Replaces Injured Junior dos Santos, Faces Stipe Miocic at TUF Brazil

Default Fabio Maldonado Replaces Injured Junior dos Santos, Faces Stipe Miocic at TUF Brazil

"Brazilian light heavyweight Fabio Maldonado will move up to the heavyweight division to face Stipe Miocic in the main event at The Ultimate Fighter Brazil Finale on May 31. Brazilian website Combate first reported the news on Tuesday. UFC officials later confirmed the match-up.

Miocic (11-1) was originally scheduled to face former heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos on the Sao Paulo fight card. On May 5, dos Santos withdrew from the fight due to an injured hand.

Miocic made his UFC debut in October 2011, defeating Joey Beltran by unanimous decision. He won his next two fights by knockout. The 31-year-old lost for the first time in his career to Stefan Struve on Sept. 29, 2012. He rebounded with clear-cut wins over Roy Nelson and Gabriel Gonzaga.

Maldonado (21-6) is riding a three-fight winning streak. He debuted in the UFC in October 2010, knocking out James McSweeney at UFC 120. He lost his next three fights, but rebounded with back-to-back wins in 2013. The 34-year-old last fought March 23, defeating Gian Villante by unanimous decision at UFC Fight Night 38.

The Ultimate Fighter Brazil 3 Finale takes place on May 31 from the Ginasio do Ibirapuera in Sao Paulo Brazil. Maldonaldo vs. Miocic headlines the fight card."

http://www.mmaweekly.com/fabio-maldo...razil-3-finale

Well that makes my decision easier. Guess I'll be watching the Munoz vs Mousasi instead of this card (which I was only interested in the main event for JDS anyways). It totally sucks because if you combined these two cards, you would have a half decent card. Instead we get 2 watered down weak ass cards. I'll probably DVR the Brazil one and watch when I have time, and watch the Munoz/Mousasi one live. Anyone know when it would start live?

UFC Fight Night: Munoz vs. Mousasi; May 31 - Berlin Fight Pass
    Mark Munoz vs. Gegard Mousasi
    Francis Carmont vs. C.B. Dollaway
    Luke Barnatt vs. Sean Strickland
    Tom Niinimaki vs. Thiago Tavares
    Iuri Alcantara vs. Vaughan Lee
    Magnus Cedenblad vs. Krzysztof Jotko
    Drew Dober vs. Nick Hein
    Peter Sobotta vs. Pawel Pawlak
    Maximo Blanco vs. Andy Ogle
    Ruslan Magomedov vs. Viktor Pesta

UFC Fight Night: Dos Santos vs. Miocic; May 31 - Brazil
    Junior Dos Santos vs. Stipe Miocic
    TUF:Brazil 3 MW final
    TUF:Brazil 3 HW final
    Demian Maia vs. Alexander Yakovlev
    Rony Jason vs. Robbie Peralta
    Diego Brandao vs. Brian Ortega
    Elias Silverio vs. Ernest Chavez
    Rodrigo Damm vs. Rashid Magomedov
    Paulo Thiago vs. Gasan Umalatov
    Mark Eddiva vs. Edimilson Souza
    Matt Hobar vs. Pedro Munhoz

Howdy Folks! You like blood? Violence? Freaks of nature? Well then, come on down to Captain Spaulding's Museum of Monsters and Mad-Men. See the Alligator Boy, ride my famous Murder Ride. Most of all, don't forget to take home some of my tasty fried chicken! Ha ha! It just tastes so damn good!

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    I wanted to watch two fat guys stare at each other huffing and puffing

And the Maia and Brandao fights I'm interested in as well.

Howdy Folks! You like blood? Violence? Freaks of nature? Well then, come on down to Captain Spaulding's Museum of Monsters and Mad-Men. See the Alligator Boy, ride my famous Murder Ride. Most of all, don't forget to take home some of my tasty fried chicken! Ha ha! It just tastes so damn good!

Oh, one more note. Just realizing that Maldonado is a LHW moving up to HW for this fight. I guess there were no HWs available, or wanting to take this fight on short notice. Dude's gonna get squashed fighting Stipe (who I was never that impressed with until his win over Nelson).

Damnit, I'm a day too late. Can one of you mods just delete this?

Wow, Miocic is getting the shaft big time here. He goes from facing someone who can put him into near immediate title contention to someone who is irrelevant in the HW division.

Quote Originally Posted by dan the man 67 View Post
    Wow, Miocic is getting the shaft big time here. He goes from facing someone who can put him into near immediate title contention to someone who is irrelevant in the HW division.
    but at the same time he's getting the break of a lifetime.
    Because he's going from facing someone who can(and most likely will) destroy him to someone who is no threat to him at all.

He just went from the Shark Tank to the Playground.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

Quote Originally Posted by The8thPlague View Post
    He just went from the Shark Tank to the Playground.
    Awesome analogy.

Ultimately the guy gets to stay on the card and is pretty much guaranteed to get his win bonus as well. I can't remember the last time I thought someone is as big of an underdog as Maldanaldo is in this fight. It could be a lot worse for Stipe.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

I was thinking today, given how they really needed a name draw so to speak to fill in for JDS and they JUST signed Arlovski specifically because they're long on cards and short on name talent, I'm wondering if it wouldn't have made more sense to utilize Arlovski in this fight, as his name recognition, coupled with the fact that he's actually an HW, may have more value than Maldonado?

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    I was thinking today, given how they really needed a name draw so to speak to fill in for JDS and they JUST signed Arlovski specifically because they're long on cards and short on name talent, I'm wondering if it wouldn't have made more sense to utilize Arlovski in this fight, as his name recognition, coupled with the fact that he's actually an HW, may have more value than Maldonado?
    I honestly think they will try to build Arlovski back up slowly and let him try to make his way to a title shot (which I doubt). Arlovski may get someone like a returning Struve or Bigfoot rematch. Or maybe throw him in there with Jds when he gets better.

Maldonado... thats a zombie.

Thread Information