+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Melendez: I can walk right through Pettis' kicks

Default Melendez: I can walk right through Pettis' kicks

Melendez: I can walk right through Pettis' kicks

Anthony Pettis is the most effective and dynamic striker in the UFC's lightweight division and it's what got him to be a world champion. That and world class jiu-jitsu.

Next opponent Gilbert Melendez believes he has the tools to defeat Pettis and isn't worried about any of his striking, kicks included:

His striking and his kicks and his creativity is awesome, but its nothing I fear at all, Melendez said. I feel quite confident in this matchup. I feel like stylistically, this is a matchup Ive been wanting for a long time.

I think hes a great guy and creative, but Im not scared of those kicks at all. I feel I can walk right through them, to be honest. Hes good at what he does, but I think Im better in a bunch of different dimensions.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

This is almost humorous. Gilbert has been in some wars and is battle tested. It's hard to believe he's going to walk tthrough the kind of kicks he will be seeing though. But I really want to see it!

I enjoy Gil as I truly believe he is the Nightmare 2.0 and I would enjoy seeing him go against Pettis BUT I do not see him walking through a plethora of leg kicks from Pettis. I would love for it to happen but I do not see it as such.
    4 LIFE

It'll be hilarious to see him try.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

I guess he must've missed the Lauzon and Cerrone fights, just to name a couple

I hadn't really bought into Pettis as "elite" even after the Cerrone bout, because Cowboy's fight IQ isn't the highest a lot of the time, but taken in total, between that bout, the Lauzon bout and the blink and you'll miss it Bendo rematch, Gil's crazy if he thinks he can walk into this fight thinking he can stand and bang with Pettis.

IMO, he's blowing smoke and this is most likely NOT his game plan. Gil's going to have to either A) get close and grind or B)work a finesse game with massive output.... I don't know if he's got the speed to outwork Pettis and I don't know if he has the size to really impose on Pettis in the clinch. Gil's takedowns could be key to whether or not he can take the fight.

His take downs and ability to grind are definitely key to him beating Pettis. Pettis is so much better than him with his striking.

I feel like he is trying to goad Pettis into throwing a high volume of kicks to create openings for takedowns.

So what if he gets taken down? He's still dangerous off of his back. Tony is going to take this no matter where this fight goes. Bendo thought it was a good idea to take him down too but look how that worked out for him...

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    So what if he gets taken down? He's still dangerous off of his back. Tony is going to take this no matter where this fight goes. Bendo thought it was a good idea to take him down too but look how that worked out for him...
    Wait, we're calling him "Tony" now lol?

Yeah, I really don't think taking Pettis down is meant to undermind Pettis' groundgame by any stretch, but rather, is more an indicator that the disparity on the ground is a lot smaller than on the feet and thus, Gil's best chances of scoring a win. Can he get subbed by Pettis? Sure, but I think he's got a much higher risk of getting KO'd and hence, probably should look to take a different route....

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information