Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Melendez: I can walk right through Pettis' kicks

Pettis has world class bjj?

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    Wait, we're calling him "Tony" now lol?
    I can't take all of the credit for that one. Tommy Toe Hold said it first, as seen here when instructed to test out his new kick...

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Gilbert has little chicken legs. Pettis gonna beat the shit out of them.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

4. Default

Wow, really? Am I the only one who thinks Pettis is going to be out of his league here? I can see Gil putting on a boxing clinic here.

Quote Originally Posted by W.Silva>C.Norris View Post
    Wow, really? Am I the only one who thinks Pettis is going to be out of his league here? I can see Gil putting on a boxing clinic here.
    Out of his league? Yes. Yes, I think you may be the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

The top 5 LW are all capable of beating each other on any given night.
    I have always seen Melendez as the best LW overall.

This match is the most exciting for me. More so than anyting in the works at the moment.

We will see...

I always look back to the Masvidal fight, where Jorge broke one or maybe both of his hands in the first round and Gil still didn't get too much the better on him in the standup and ate a decent amount of solid shots(and from that, always feel as though Gil hangs his head out a bit more than he should). Since then, Gil has had razor close bouts with Punk and Bendo, which I think haven't shown the "best" Melendez. While I thought he looked quite excellent in the Diego bout(at least the first two rounds for certain), he's now looking at a yearlong layoff against a much younger and IMO faster fighter, I don't like the matchup for Gil, but I don't know if it's my reticence regarding his camp, that I don't hold in much regard, but I'm taking Pettis on the feet and probably in the fight...

Quote Originally Posted by Tongan.Death.Grip View Post
    The top 5 LW are all capable of beating each other on any given night.
    I have always seen Melendez as the best LW overall.

This match is the most exciting for me. More so than anyting in the works at the moment.

We will see...
    Top 7 if you count alvarez and chandler.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    So what if he gets taken down? He's still dangerous off of his back. Tony is going to take this no matter where this fight goes. Bendo thought it was a good idea to take him down too but look how that worked out for him...
    I don't know that sub was Pettis being great as much as it was Bendo underestimating him.

Quote Originally Posted by MIZjitsZOU View Post
    Pettis has world class bjj?
    No. He does not. But he's less one-dimensional than people give him credit for, and he's good enough to capitalize, and if Gil overlooks his groundgame and leaves an arm out there to snatch, he'll pay, just like Ben did.

I don't think he's out of his league, but I have Gil winning it if he comes in with the right game plan, checks leg kicks, takes him down and grinds on him.

I think the problem is people watched the Guida fight and determined that Pettis' kryptonite is his ground game, and that's not precisely accurate...it can be, but it's not as easy as it looks.

rh
    Last edited by rivethead; 05-08-2014 at 11:57 AM. Reason: doublesig
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I don't know that sub was Pettis being great as much as it was Bendo underestimating him.
    Honestly, I think the sub had more to do with bendo still being hurt/stunned from Pettis's body kicks prior.

Thread Information