Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Melendez: I can walk right through Pettis' kicks

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I don't know that sub was Pettis being great as much as it was Bendo underestimating him.

No. He does not. But he's less one-dimensional than people give him credit for, and he's good enough to capitalize, and if Gil overlooks his groundgame and leaves an arm out there to snatch, he'll pay, just like Ben did.

I don't think he's out of his league, but I have Gil winning it if he comes in with the right game plan, checks leg kicks, takes him down and grinds on him.

I think the problem is people watched the Guida fight and determined that Pettis' kryptonite is his ground game, and that's not precisely accurate...it can be, but it's not as easy as it looks.

rh
    Pettis has had some pretty sick subs though in his career. Roler and Bendo come to mind. He has a very ellusive guard. He is dangerous unless you sit on top of him and do absolutely nothing and the ref just allows it....yes I'm referring to Guida.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Even guida was constantly defending subs. Pettis' ability to apply his bjj to mma is better than a lot of black belts we have seen in the cage.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. Thatís right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Pettis had all of one sub attempt vs guida.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Wow. I am going to have to rewatch it.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. Thatís right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Nice.

I say a ton of dumb shit on here and have only been negged like twice and probably deservedly so. That being said, pointing out that Pettis had one sub attempt in that fight isn't really all that controversial. It's simply a recorded stat.

Pettis gave up 5 takedowns that night and did very little to avoid losing every round of that fight. Love or hate it, he lost cleanly and unanimously.

And for the record, wrist control is a defensive move and does not equate to a sub attempt or even a "scoring" maneuver. When was the last time you saw two guys go at it and say, "wow, he was on his back but boy did he control the fuck out of that guys wrists!"

The way I remember it is Pettis wasn't constantly looking for subs, always throwing up his legs for armbar or triangle or attacking Guida's arm for kimuras. Guida didn't really do anything except avoid Pettis' offense and not landing anything other than a few shoulder strikes on the ground. I thought Guida won given the way MMA is judged but would have lost if MMA fights were judged properly.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    Pettis had all of one sub attempt vs guida.
    Yeah he really didn't have any space to do anything he literally dry humped him and shouldered him. Gave him no room to do anything it was such bullshit. What a shitty way to fight. I'm one of the first to get pissed off at people who cry about guys holding guys down but damn that was awful.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Not that I disagree.

I was simply stating the at it wasn't like Pettis was somehow ever a threat that night off his back.

Pettis isn't a world-class grappler. He's good. Not great. Certainly, he can catch Gil if Melendez underestimates him, but in a submission grappling match, Gil wins 10 out of 10. Hell, Bendo wins 10 out of 10 in a pure submission grappling match.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Nobody else has even been able to stand with Pettis. His only recent loss was from a grinder, which I do not even consider to be a mma loss. Grinder loss maybe.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

Thread Information