Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stefan Struve Returns from Heart Condition, Meets Matt Mitrione at UFC 175

Default Stefan Struve Returns from Heart Condition, Meets Matt Mitrione at UFC 175

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...one-at-ufc-175

Stefan Struve makes his long-awaited return to the UFC this summer, as the Dutch mixed martial artist has received clearance to return to the cage.

Struve meets fellow heavyweight Matt Mitrione at UFC 175 in Las Vegas in July. The card, headlined by two championship bouts between Chris Weidman and Lyoto Machida, as well as Ronda Rousey and Alexis Davis, now gets deeper with the addition of two high-profile, exciting heavyweights.

Struve returns to the Octagon for the first time since March 2013, when he was brutally knocked out by Mark Hunt in Japan. Struve suffered a jaw injury and some missing teeth for the beating he took from "The Super Samoan."

After that fight, Struve was found to have an enlarged heart, which put his career in jeopardy. He has now been cleared by doctors to return to competition, which will undoubtedly lead Struve to one of the best comeback stories of all time.

Struve takes on Mitrione, a veteran of The Ultimate Fighter 10, where Mitrione transformed from a former NFL defensive lineman to a certified mixed martial artist.

Mitrione is 7-3 in his career, all of which have taken place in the UFC. He went through a tough streak recently that saw him go 1-3 against tougher competition, but he righted the ship in his last fight, downing Shawn Jordan with some nasty strikes.

Mitrione, who is considered a big heavyweight at 6'3", 260 pounds, will be much smaller than the Dutchman, as Struve stands around 7'0". Mitrione has immense knockout power, which he will look to use here, while Struve will use his size and reach to keep Mitrione at bay.

It is not confirmed whether this is a main or preliminary card fight, though one would think with the backstory of Struve that this would make a great main card bout.
    Fucking stoked to see Struve back!

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

This should be a fun fight. I feel like Struve is gonna go to sleep.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    Although I think you might be right, I hope you're wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    Not vs Matt lol

Maybe the doctors have released Struve after determining that the swelling of his heart was simply due to the same blow that broke his jaw? (Yes, Mark Hunt is a BMF'er.) Seriously though it is good to see Struve back and i think this is a good match to see where he really fits in the mix. I agree that the match is a little dangerous for Struve and Matt has decent power but I think Struve chokes Matt out in the second.

I'd like to see Struve get the win after being away for so long. It's good to have him back, and it helps the division by creating more potential matchups.

WAR Skyscraper!

Struve: What Mitrione did was 'pathetic'
    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...-was-pathetic/
    October he returned to light training.

Last month his medical team cleared him to return to fighting.

Earlier this week it was announced he would be fighting Matt Mitrione at UFC 175 on July 5th in Las Vegas, NV. The card will be headlined by UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman vs. Lyoto Machida.

Now Struve has done his first interview, with MMAWeekly's Ken Pishna,

“In Macau, when Mitrione fought, he was really interested (in my heart condition), so I explained to him what was going on and all that. So he knew where I was at,” said Struve. “Then, a couple months later, even before I’m cleared to return to the Octagon, you tell Joe Silva that you want to fight me for my comeback fight?”

“I wasn’t even cleared to fight yet. Everybody knew I was on the way up, things were looking good, but I wasn’t cleared yet. Everybody knew that I had a heart issue and then you call up the matchmaker without knowing I’m cleared and then you ask for the fight?

“The only way you would do that is because you think you have a better chance of winning that fight. In my opinion, that really is pathetic and Matt Mitrione made this personal.”

“It’s just kind of pathetic. I would never do something like that. Big mistake by him because I’m gonna absolutely show this guy.”
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Struve: What Mitrione did was 'pathetic'
    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...-was-pathetic/
    I love the fight but this bothers me if its true. You're not doing yourself any favors by calling out a guy MIA for over a year because of a heart condition.

I honestly don't buy that story. There are easier fights to ask for if all you want is the win.

Thread Information