Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spike TV President: Chandler doesn't want Alvarez leaving Bellator with belt

Default Spike TV President: Chandler doesn't want Alvarez leaving Bellator with belt

http://mmajunkie.com/2014/05/spike-t...ator-with-belt

Spike TV President Kevin Kay is preparing for that eventuality, and he believes it will serve to motivate Michael Chandler.

“There’s so much at stake in this fight between these two guys,” Kay told MMAjunkie. “You’ve got Michael Chandler who does not want Eddie Alvarez to leave the promotion with his belt right? Chandler is going to be in Bellator for a long time, and he wants to avenge that loss. He is so talented and so driven, so he’s got a lot at stake.

“Obviously Eddie Alvarez has plenty at stake. He’s an incredibly talented fighter and he’s made a decision that win or lose, he’s probably leaving this promotion. And if he wins, he kind of gets to write his own ticket. If he loses, boy, that’s a lot of risk.”

Alvarez (25-3 MMA, 9-1 BMMA) and Chandler (12-1 MMA, 9-1 BMMA) headline next Saturday’s “Bellator 120: Alvarez vs. Chandler III” event, which takes place at Landers Center in Southaven, Miss. The night’s five-fight main card airs on pay-per-view, a first for the California-based promotion.

Of course, the pair’s second meeting was also supposed to air on pay-per-view, but UFC Hall of Famer Tito Ortiz, who was scheduled to compete in the night’s main event against former UFC light heavyweight champ Quinton “Rampage” Jackson, was forced to withdraw from the event with injury. Promotion officials ultimately elected scrap the premium plans and instead air the card on Spike TV.

Kay admits that was a disappointing development but may ultimately have paid dividends in pushing the trilogy fight.

“We learned a lot from the first time around,” Kay said. “It wasn’t ideal. Tito got that injury, and we ended up scrapping it and putting it onto Spike. It ended up being a big success, and we had that great Alvarez vs. Chandler second fight on Spike, which was awesome. It was like, ‘Alright, there you go. Now it’s a trilogy. Let’s put it on pay-per-view.’

“It’s huge and everybody wants to see it and it only makes sense.”
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

LOL Alverez is leaving again? I'll believe that when I see him in the UFC.
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by joeodd2 View Post
    LOL Alverez is leaving again? I'll believe that when I see him in the UFC.
    It's written in to his contract that if he beats Chandler twice, he can bolt for the UFC. Not much they can do to stop it this time.

Bellator definitely did Eddie dirty the first time around.
    You have to know what you don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by SickNasty View Post
    Bellator definitely did Eddie dirty the first time around.
    So did Alvarez's inept lawyer/management .

This should be illegal. Bellator stands a lot to lose from him leaving with the belt, thus that puts them in the unethical position of having this fight. They just need to let him go win lose or draw. He's not a slave, he doesn't need to win his freedom, he fulfilled his contract and they hold him hostage. The courts showed that they know nothing about mma, contracts and ppv buys. Bellator has never "matched" any offer the ufc has given because all of their shows combined have never equaled one of ufc's weakest ppv buys which means Alvarez was not "matched".
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

Bellator didnt even want to resign one of their champions (Askren) and will now lose yet another champion when Eddie comes to the UFC. Thus making Bellator more of a joke (imo) than ever before.

Dana White responds to Bjorn Rebney, Bellator pay-per-view woes
    "That was the legit fight on the card. It's tough. It's tough losing that," White said, before taking aim at Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney for comments the Bellator chief recently made to the Latin Post, in which he placed blame on Zuffa for the continued ban on mixed martial arts in New York.

"It's one of those things," White said. "Those guys, I don't care about those guys. I don't see them as competition whatsoever. I see that Bjork (Bjorn Rebney) has been saying a lot of stupid s--t lately, he's in the press. He's screaming for attention. Screaming for attention. Talking about New York and the union and he's going to... what the f--k has he done to do anything in New York? What has that guy done to raise the bar in mixed martial arts whatsoever? He's done nothing. He's done completely zero. Zilch.

"So good luck to him on their pay-per-view."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    Bellator didnt even want to resign one of their champions (Askren) and will now lose yet another champion when Eddie comes to the UFC. Thus making Bellator more of a joke (imo) than ever before.
    Regardless of the issues that Bellator is having the fights they put on are stellar! I watch every single event that I can. I have a lot of issues with the way they do some stuff somewhat recently but I have just as many issues with the almighty UFC.
    FW-Hominick
    LW-Stout, Cerrone, Jim Miller
    WW-GSP, Fitch, Goulet, Rory
    MW-Shlemenko
    LHW-Jones
    HW-Carwin, Barry, Russow

RRR=the Rhonda Rousey Resistance

classic - "this is the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. thats like me having a picture of Hitler posted, and saying "I dont believe in his politics, but I like to hear him talk" W.Silva>C.Norris

HOSS-Bork, you should spend more time brushing up on your MMA history, and less time complementing guys on how young their penises taste.

I agree with cnlclink. Bellator puts on a quality product. They have their faults, just like the UFC does. They are not equal to the UFC but the more mma the merrier for me. I like the tourney format and I like getting to know their regulars. Alvarez vs chandler is as good as any one fight can be and it needs to happen.

Thread Information