Thread: Random question about Anderson Silva

Default Random question about Anderson Silva

Random question.....

Do you guys consider Anderson Silva to be from PRIDE?

Literally yes, but in the way he's viewed, no. It's like, do you consider Babe Ruth to be a Red Sox?
    USA! USA! USA!

Nice comparison.

Basically, I was just thinking about how the Nogueira brothers have fallen off lately and got to thinking about how some people argued that the PRIDE fighters didnt amount to anything when they all came to the UFC. A handful of them became champions though (Rampage, Shogun, Minotauro, Anderson). I realized that Anderson only fought five times in PRIDE, but I do consider him to be from there.

For the record, even though he started in the UFC, I consider Hendo from PRIDE.

4. Default

Aside from the WEC into anything sub 185, Id say the PRIDE infusion was possibly the most successful "merger" in UFC history. Def much more so then SF.

Id still lean more towards the WEC, since it added a lot more depth to an area that the UFC needed depth at the time of the merger.

On topic, Id say Anderson was a bit more of a journeyman until his UFC explosion. He was kind of all over the place. Id say that was more a sign of where MMA was at at the time though, then anything

And I feel the same way about Wandy that you feel about Hendo.

I always say "he came from Pride" however, I do not consider him a part of Pride's greatness all that much. He wasn't a title contender or in any tournaments and had a mediocre record. If Pride stayed around and he was still in it he probably would've became a guy truly associated with Pride but the fact is he went to the UFC before he could establish himself as a force.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Quote Originally Posted by W.Silva>C.Norris View Post

And I feel the same way about Wandy that you feel about Hendo.
    Very very true. I guess I just didn't mention it because I thought it was universally understood that Wand was a PRIDE fighter even if he did start first in the UFC. =)

But as far as the topic goes....
    Since Wand and Mirko are the ones mentioned as an argument when people say that the PRIDE fighters were always overrated, but yet most of them had successful UFC runs, would it be fair to use Anderson Silva's name as a counter argument?

I have personally would, with one of the reasons being from Chris Leben's prefight comments with Anderson when he said that he going to "send him back to Japan where the competition is easier."

I think it's where ever you spent the majority of your career where you consider that fighter is from not where you started or spent the earlier part of your career.

well he made of fought in pride but he made his mark in the UFC .

Thread Information