Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: White: Brown one fight from title shot

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    I believe they call that the Koscheck Gameplan.
    That's Phase I of the Koscheck Gamplan.

Phase II involves abandoning all pretext of striking skill, and replacing all offensive output with Left-Eyepoke, Sloppy Overhand Right.

I think he is overrated, but never thought he would beat Swick, Mein, Pyle or Silva. (Although I think if Silva had tried to land a couple more body shots, that fight would have been over in the 2nd). I think he has earned a shot against a top 5 guy. If he beats one of them, and if it makes most sense at the time, I would have no problem with a title shot, but he still has to win his next fight, not like he will have been given a gift.

Both Mein, and Silva have been seen as the future of the division, all 4 of the above impressive wins. Say what you want about Brown, but that is one of the best turnarounds in UFC history, I thought he would have been out of the UFC by now. Hope he keep winning. Win or lose, he comes to fight. Just like Diaz.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    So if Dana came out tomorrow and said that Matt was the new #1 contender, that would have been a gift?
    It wouldn't be something based on merit but he's certainly put in work.

I'd contend that his resume is far inferior to both fitch and diego at the time they went on their streaks and the clamoring for a title fight started.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

IMO If someone was trying to ensure Brown a title shot then I find the most fun Lawler but I feel Lawler smashes him bad
    and early. I think safest could potentially be Rory seeing as he don't seem to fair well while be chased down.

Both matchups depend on future outcomes but could work depending on Hendricks recovery time.
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Fitch was 8-0 (4 finishes) in the UFC and was awarded a title shot. Then went on a 5 fight streak (0 finishes) and getting a draw in the title eliminator fight. Since then he has gone 2-3.
    Notable wins during the 1st streak: Diego Sanchez, Thiago Alves, Josh Burkman, Luigi Fioravanti

Diego was 6-0 (2 finishes) in the UFC at WW, testing hot for weed. He then was shot to the top of the division going 0-2. He would go on to win 2 more at WW, drop to LW, win 2 and get a title fight. Since the title fight he is 3-5.
    Notable wins during streak: Karo Parisyan, Nick Diaz, Joe Riggs, Kenny Florian

Brown is currently 7-0 (6 finishes) in the UFC.
    Notable wins during streak: Erick Silva, Jordan Mein, Mike Swick, Mike Pyle, Stephen Thompson

Jon received a title shot after beating UFC newcomer Chris Wilson. Diego lost to Koscheck and Fitch at WW plus tested positive for weed. Brown is right there and based off of everything, it would have merit.
    Brown came off of a 1-4 stretch in the ufc where he was finished three straight times. Neither fitch nor sanchez had a stretch like that at the time.

Further, matt doesn't have the quality of opponents either of them had. Diaz an alves alone were perennial top 5-10 guys with Parisyan and sanchez being there as well. No one on browns list even breaks the top 10.

That all said, I think we agree somewhat. It's not like its a gift at all. It's just not something that's necessarily earned based on working his way up the ladder. He's beaten a lot of fringe fighters and done it impressively.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    Brown came off of a 1-4 stretch in the ufc where he was finished three straight times. Neither fitch nor sanchez had a stretch like that at the time.

Further, matt doesn't have the quality of opponents either of them had. Diaz an alves alone were perennial top 5-10 guys with Parisyan and sanchez being there as well. No one on browns list even breaks the top 10.

That all said, I think we agree somewhat. It's not like its a gift at all. It's just not something that's necessarily earned based on working his way up the ladder. He's beaten a lot of fringe fighters and done it impressively.
    I think what would make it a gift isn't the historical comparison but the fact that you have guys like T-Wood, Rory, and Lombard who have been fighting at a higher level of competition. While they aren't on the same streak, they have overall more impressive successes IMO.

Thread Information