Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dana White's stance on fans, fights, and the internet

1. Default

I can not argue and whole heartedly agree with this quote
    “…It’s tough to interact with people on the internet – nameless faceless people who can say what they want without consequences.”
    “Engaging in social media is good if you have the patience and social skills.”
    - Dana White
    Notice DW said patience and social skills he does not have these and admits it as you can't say the first thing that comes to your mouth with a strong belief and expect everyone to agree.
    My argument is there running it more for entertainment than as a legit sport. Yes they have to make money but that can't always set who fights who for a title. Not so bad for mid tier fights and down but not title fights.

I am confused...

What you have quoted below doesnt even match up with your link:

“I found that our fans are going to bitch about everything. We know what fights people want to see. We have different types of fights, ones that hard-core MMA fans are into, and then fights that break through, that spill over into main stream that people will PPV to see. (On knowing what people want to see?) Because I’m the biggest fucking fight fan there is.“I literally don’t read the internet anymore. I used to go on all the time, but I’m just not into it anymore. I’ve shut myself off from that whole world. All you need to is to get some money, build a website and you’re an instant journalist.”“…It’s tough to interact with people on the internet – nameless faceless people who can say what they want without consequences.”“Engaging in social media is good if you have the patience and social skills.”

- Dana White
    From the link posted to mmamania:

"I found that our fans are going to bitch about everything. We know what fights people want to see. We have different types of fights, ones that hard-core MMA fans are into, and then fights that break through, that spill over into main stream that people will PPV to see. I literally don't read the internet anymore. I used to go on all the time, but I'm just not into it anymore. I've shut myself off from that whole world."
    And here is MMA sucka where the interview originated from:
    http://mmasucka.com/2014/05/08/manag...ts-dana-white/

I was fortunate to be able to speak with the President of the UFC Dana White and get some insight into running the business.

Fans tend to complain about certain fighter’s styles, but they also complain when fighters are released for various reasons. How does he deal with that?

“I found that our fans are going to b*tch about everything,” White said, and described their system as having a finger on the pulse of the MMA fan, sensing what keeps their interest alive. “We know what fights people want to see. We have different types of fights, ones that hard-core MMA fans are into, and then fights that break through, that spill over into main stream that people will PPV to see.”

How does he know what fans want?

“Because I’m the biggest [expletive] fight fan there is.”

Is he often faced with a dilemma such as Fighter A deserving a title shot because he beat a bunch of guys in line, but the fans are crying for Fighter B to get the next shot?

“When we have to deal with that (offering a fight), there are a lot of different factors that come into play,” White explained. “When did he last fight, injuries, suspensions, personal issues, so many different things.”

Apparently, things are more complicated than simply “deserves” or “not deserves.”

How important is the voice of the fans on the Internet? The power and influence of online social media is undeniable – Twitter, Facebook, MMA news websites, blogs, forums, etc. Fighters have been known to call out other fighters online, and soon after, the match is booked. However, Mr. White isn’t as concerned about the Web as we may think.

“I literally don’t read the internet anymore,” he said. “I used to go on all the time, but I’m just not into it anymore. I’ve shut myself off from that whole world.”

He went on to explain that he doesn’t feel that input from the Internet drove their business, but places like chat sites can breed negativity. He “shut off the minority,” and gets the majority voice through expanding and going off into television. White also isn’t impressed with online MMA journalism overall. These days, we find MMA news pages side by side with editorials, where bloggers write their opinions, analysis, and supposition about future match-ups, retirement, and signings.

“All you need to is to get some money, build a website and you’re an instant journalist,” he commented.

How much of a role should fighters take in promoting themselves on social media? How essential is it?

“I think it’s a positive thing. It definitely adds value, but a lot of fighters don’t have that skillset. It’s tough to do sometimes. It’s tough to interact with people on the internet – nameless faceless people who can say what they want without consequences.”

People’s time in professional sports is limited. White went on to say that no sport is really a career – it’s an opportunity. “Once their careers are over, you have to make the most of the opportunity. Engaging in social media is good if you have the patience and social skills.”

Fighters usually start building their ‘careers’ by amateur fights. There’s no set number, but fighters often have between one and eight amateur bouts before they go pro, or some jump right into a professional bout. It is often said that that amateur sports in general are about skill, while professional sports are about money and business.

“I think amateurs should get paid, too,” White said on the topic. “I think college football players should be paid, and basketball. A lot of revenue is being generated off their skill.”

He spoke enthusiastically about expansion. “The sport continues to grow!” he said. “We have TUF going off in all different countries. We’re creating new fans and bringing in new fighters. Fight Night is a way of building and cultivating. We see Fox and Pay-Per-view as being equal.”

In addition to talented athletes, marketing and the aesthetics of the show are very important. “As far as live events, we have two different components. The TV side is very important to us, and then the live show in-house. We’re trying to use better technology for production every time. Better sound systems, better lighting, screens, everything.”

So take what you want from the interview but I dont think Dana comes off like an idiot in the interview at all.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

dimerules28 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    Ok, I'm kind of confused here. Did you start a thread just so you could bash Dana? You obviously don't like the guy, and I know a lot of people don't, but why specifically don't you like him? I get that you think he's an idiot but based on that quote alone, he really doesn't come across that badly...
    Dana doesnt come off like an idiot to you because you are an idiot lol. Dana is lying through his teeth here as always and you just take it all in as if its gospel. Dont blame Ice cold cause you dont understand what youre reading.

Quote Originally Posted by dimerules28 View Post
    Dana doesnt come off like an idiot to you because you are an idiot lol. Dana is lying through his teeth here as always and you just take it all in as if its gospel. Dont blame Ice cold cause you dont understand what youre reading.
    What parts do you think Dana is lying about?
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

dimerules28 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    I am confused...

What you have quoted below doesnt even match up with your link:

From the link posted to mmamania:

And here is MMA sucka where the interview originated from:
    http://mmasucka.com/2014/05/08/manag...ts-dana-white/

So take what you want from the interview but I dont think Dana comes off like an idiot in the interview at all.
    Hahah man ppl on here are dumb as fuck... Dana is not the biggest fight fan there is... Not even close. Just that quote rfht there makes him sound utterly retarded. He is a promoter first and works for the fertittas. Meaning money is way more important to him then putting together fights the fans really want to see. Dana says stupid shit everytime he talks and morons come in and defend him. Fuck mma fans.

Dana says stupid shit everytime he talks

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Hahah man ppl on here are dumb as fuck... Dana is not the biggest fight fan there is... Not even close. Just that quote rfht there makes him sound utterly retarded. He is a promoter first and works for the fertittas. Meaning money is way more important to him then putting together fights the fans really want to see. Dana says stupid shit everytime he talks and morons come in and defend him. Fuck mma fans.
    I would say post like this only further back Dana's point. I don't agree with everything Dana does but I agree even less with a lot of the ignorance on here who think they are the only true fans, that they actually know how to run a business , and be a promoter, and fail to realize what the main stream market actually means and that a lot of them probably don't share the opinions of fans who actually visit the boards. Plus I've seen people on here bitch all the time just to be bitching

I mean come on people are calling for Matt Brown to get a title shot yet some of these same people didn't think Tex should have been fighting for the title because they wanted Goose to get an immediate rematch

Also its kinda funny how the rant started based off of quotes that were entirely out of context. Almost like someone on the internet just wanted to bitch.

8. Default

And once again, the appearance of Dimerules on a thread re-inforces the "any idiot can have an opinion on the internet" theory.

Quote Originally Posted by W.Silva>C.Norris View Post
    And once again, the appearance of Dimerules on a thread re-inforces the "any idiot can have an opinion on the internet" theory.
    I'm glad I blocked that fool's posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

The guy that mows my lawn is an idiot... Dana is a liar and a salesman. Which are mostly the same. An idiot doesn't seize an opportunity like Dana did and capitalize on it to make millions.

Thread Information