Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 83

Thread: Is the UFC ready for an openly gay male fighter?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    19,504

    Default Is the UFC ready for an openly gay male fighter?

    Is the UFC ready for an openly gay male fighter?

    Is the UFC ready for an openly gay male fighter?

    "Why not?" Benavidez answered.

    There is an openly gay player in the NBA, the same for NCAA Division I men's college basketball. Michael Sam became the first openly gay player in the NFL on Saturday when he was drafted by the St. Louis Rams and former boxing champion Orlando Cruz came out in 2012.

    Benavidez, one of the best 125-pound MMA fighters on the planet, doesn't think the UFC should be any different.

    "It would be cool to see a gay guy just beat the s*** out of somebody," he told FOX Sports. "I think that would be that much cooler. Busting a stereotype."

    It's funny Benavidez used that word, because you already know the stereotype about UFC fighters. They're supposed to be meatheads and uneducated. How could you expect men and women who punch and choke people for a living to be tolerant or enlightened?

    They're trained to exploit the weaknesses of their opponents in the Octagon. But it seems clear they don't view homosexuality as any such weakness.

    When FOX Sports asked more than a dozen current and former UFC athletes if the league is ready to welcome and accept an openly gay male competitor, it was a nearly unanimous "yes." UFC president Dana White has said for years that an openly homosexual male fighter would not be treated differently. And in 2013, women's bantamweight Liz Carmouche became the first lesbian fighter in the UFC.

    "People shouldn’t be afraid to be who they are -- period," said Miesha Tate, who fought Carmouche last month at FOX UFC Saturday. "Whatever makes you, you at the end of the day, that's unique to you. I think that's what America stands for."
    There are fans who have been unaccepting of gay players in other sports, but Benavidez says, "fans are going to give you crap no matter what sexual orientation you are."

    "It's the same as any sport," UFC light heavyweight Phil Davis said of a male fighter coming out. "I don't see why not. I would not think any less of anyone that did so. It has nothing to do with their capabilities inside the cage."
    "If he's tough, who cares?" Liddell said. "If he's a fighter, he's a fighter. As long as he wins fights, it doesn't matter."
    "I have no prejudice against the gays, but I wouldn't train with someone who's gay," Nogueira told UOL Esporte (translated by Bloody Elbow). "I have no malice, I don't take our physical contact as (something) sexual. But what if the gay person has that malice of having physical contact with me, of staying there grappling? I would have no problems having a gay student in my academy, but I would rather not train with him."

    None of the fighters interviewed by FOX Sports said they did not want to see a gay fighter in the UFC. But both UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones and middleweight contender Luke Rockhold declined to talk about the subject.
    "I don’t really know what I think about homosexuality and MMA," Jones said. "I've never really put much thought into it. It's a very sensitive topic. I'd rather not even comment on it."

    It's almost statistically certain that there are several gay male fighters in the UFC, the same way Sam and Collins aren't the only ones in their respective leagues. They're just the only ones to have gone public. It isn't easy to be a trailblazer by any means.

    "I'll tell you right now, if there was a gay fighter in UFC, I wish he would come out," White said in 2011. "I could care less if there's a gay fighter in the UFC."

    Added bantamweight contender T.J. Dillashaw: "It's the real world. People just need to accept it. … There probably are [gay fighters in the UFC], they just haven't admitted it [publicly] yet."

    "If you're not comfortable with who you are and yourself, that kind of close contact, it doesn’t make any sense to me," she said. "Someone's sexual preference has nothing to do with it anyway. … If you're busy thinking about that when you're fighting somebody, your mind frame is in the wrong place anyway."

    Mike Brown agreed. The current UFC fighter, former WEC featherweight champion and coach at American Top Team in Florida said a gay male fighter should not be a problem in 2014. Brown believes the majority of fighters would be "fine with it."

    "When you're a fighter, you have plenty to worry about already," Brown said. "You're in the cage with someone trying to take your head off. We don't really sweat the small stuff."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    9,529

    Default

    There are gay fighters all over now; just not ones who are openly stating it for various reasons.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

  3. #3

    Default

    I think the whole coming out and announcing it thing is stupid. I think Sam did it to try and boost his draft stock and personally I hate it. Nothing against the fact that he is gay but he was projected a late rd to undrafted FA. The stories that have been posted about him being drafted basically admit to Fisher taking him because of the media surrounding a gay player. Sports stars should be judge on the skills and skills alone.

    I say be yourself. If you are caught or someone ask admit to who you are but this whole coming out of the closest or announcing you are gay is not helping the gay community like everyone thinks. Enough with the drama and special media attention. You want to be accepted and not treated any different then there doesn't need to be an announcement. Unless Sam blows the roof off the place in Stl he will forever be known as the first openly gay football player and that's bullshit. He should be judged like everyone else on the field.

    Same goes for fighters. I highly doubt in 2014 many people care if a fighter is gay or straight. What most care about is can the dude fight. Who in there right mind would want anything detracting from his great of a fighter / football player / athelete they are? Maybe I'm missing something because I don't get it but it seems to me sexual orientation doesn't have anything to do with sports

    And this isn't just my opinion on gay athletes. It applies to people like Tim Tebow as well. The media either loved him or hated him but either watbit always skewed what he did as a player one way or another.


  4. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Inside Your Mind
    Posts
    848

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Return Of...... View Post
    I think the whole coming out and announcing it thing is stupid....

    I say be yourself... If you are caught or someone ask admit to who you are but this whole coming out of the closest or announcing you are gay is not helping the gay community like everyone thinks. Enough with the drama and special media attention. You want to be accepted and not treated any different then there doesn't need to be an announcement. Unless Sam blows the roof off the place in Stl he will forever be known as the first openly gay football player and that's bullshit. He should be judged like everyone else on the field.
    Sooo... be yourself, but repress that major part of yourself from being public knowledge?

  5. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Return Of...... View Post
    I think the whole coming out and announcing it thing is stupid. I think Sam did it to try and boost his draft stock and personally I hate it. Nothing against the fact that he is gay but he was projected a late rd to undrafted FA. The stories that have been posted about him being drafted basically admit to Fisher taking him because of the media surrounding a gay player. Sports stars should be judge on the skills and skills alone.

    I say be yourself. If you are caught or someone ask admit to who you are but this whole coming out of the closest or announcing you are gay is not helping the gay community like everyone thinks. Enough with the drama and special media attention. You want to be accepted and not treated any different then there doesn't need to be an announcement. Unless Sam blows the roof off the place in Stl he will forever be known as the first openly gay football player and that's bullshit. He should be judged like everyone else on the field.

    Same goes for fighters. I highly doubt in 2014 many people care if a fighter is gay or straight. What most care about is can the dude fight. Who in there right mind would want anything detracting from his great of a fighter / football player / athelete they are? Maybe I'm missing something because I don't get it but it seems to me sexual orientation doesn't have anything to do with sports

    And this isn't just my opinion on gay athletes. It applies to people like Tim Tebow as well. The media either loved him or hated him but either watbit always skewed what he did as a player one way or another.
    There have been entire segments on ESPN dedicated to who Tom Brady and Tony Romo are dating. Did I miss the post where you complained about them being openly straight?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Return Of...... View Post
    Tinkerbell? Was that your pet name during your time away?
    I've fought with Sakara more than just about anyone on this board but the bringing up the fact that he did time is getting old and rather pathetic.
    Last edited by SwordofAres; 05-15-2014 at 11:13 PM.
    My Favorite Fighters

    1)Gray Maynard 2)Dan Henderson 3)Minotauro Nogueira 4)Wanderlei Silva 5)Roy Nelson 6)Tim Boetsch 7)Mark Hunt 8)Shogun Rua 9)Lyoto Machida 10) Connor McGregor

  6. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SwordofAres View Post
    There have been entire segments on ESPN dedicated to who Tom Brady and Tony Romo are dating. Did I miss the post where you complained about them being openly straight?



    I've fought with Sakara more than just about anyone on this board but the bringing up the fact that he did time is getting old and rather pathetic.
    See, you are doing the same thing that I questioned about Sakara. Did you even read my post? Did it not make any sense? Are you just trying to jump on the band wagon or not reading an entire post or thread then commenting????

    Let me break it down for you. I NEVER said Sam shouldn't be openly gay. In fact I stated in my first post that he should be open about it. What I also stated that it should come in the form of a big announcement and take center stage over his football career and chances especially before he even makes a team.

    I also stated that while I believe he did it the way that he did to to enhance his exposure that I thought the media was taking it too far and was going to make it even more difficult for his chances to make the team. Tebow faced the same thing because everyone was watching and critical of every move.

    The segments you are talking about are more tabloid / magazine show than ESPN, although they probably have mentioned it before. If they were to do a 30 for 30 type or E60 or a football life about Sam in a year or 2 I would think it is great. The kid aint done shit yet though.

    If you read the article about Fisher drafting Sam they highlight that the Rams drafted an openly gay player. Not a Def Player of the year player who scouts think is too small. Again, an injustice to the man himself.

    And lastly, the fact that you are comparing Sam to Romo and Brady shows me that you are the type of person I am speaking against. Sam has NO place in a discussion with Romo or Brady. Lets break it down.

    1. UFA who is now the QB and Leader for one of the most celebrated teams in history. Linked to a Hollywood Star (people love there TMZ)
    2. Drafted I believe 199 overall with 6 QB going ahead of him to become a multi time SB champion. Linked to a Celebrity Model. TMZ effect again.
    3. Openly Gay.


    While all 3 of these could and should get TMZ coverage only 2 belong to be highlighted on sports networks at this stage. And not for who they are sticking there dick in. Sam could be a great story. It was over done. Let him play then have your stories. No matter what his career becomes he will be a trend setter, I get that. Yes they should have done a story on Sam. but not to the extinct that they did IF they are really trying to promote him as an equal and say its all about football. No they are taking advantage of Sam just as much as he tried to use it to his advantage.


    Players who are good do not have national coverage in there house on draft day. Boyd was at one time a top prospect before returning to school. Plus I am willing to bet it was Local media not national media. I would fully expect local media to cover both during the draft.


    Quote Originally Posted by Goremire View Post
    Ok, cool, so it sounds like ESPN coverage is to be expected for the top college players - regardless of their draft prospects.
    ummmmm....HUH? I do not get this line of thinking or what Ice cold is trying to say. A top college player would have high draft prospects. What I can tell, though, is you are commenting on something that you have no clue about. Go watch NFL network and ESPN. The coverage is about there football prospects...With Sam it was just he is gay he is going into the draft he is gay he might get drafted. My point. again. for the PC crowd who doesn't get it is that it is an injustice to Sam and that it should be about football. Sam did NOT get anywhere near the coverage from ANY national sports network until he said he was gay.
    Last edited by The Return Of......; 05-16-2014 at 10:57 AM.

  7. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NY--->MIA
    Posts
    8,283

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Return Of...... View Post
    See, you are doing the same thing that I questioned about Sakara. Did you even read my post? Did it not make any sense? Are you just trying to jump on the band wagon or not reading an entire post or thread then commenting????

    Let me break it down for you. I NEVER said Sam shouldn't be openly gay. In fact I stated in my first post that he should be open about it. What I also stated that it should come in the form of a big announcement and take center stage over his football career and chances especially before he even makes a team.

    I also stated that while I believe he did it the way that he did to to enhance his exposure that I thought the media was taking it too far and was going to make it even more difficult for his chances to make the team. Tebow faced the same thing because everyone was watching and critical of every move.

    The segments you are talking about are more tabloid / magazine show than ESPN, although they probably have mentioned it before. If they were to do a 30 for 30 type or E60 or a football life about Sam in a year or 2 I would think it is great. The kid aint done shit yet though.

    If you read the article about Fisher drafting Sam they highlight that the Rams drafted an openly gay player. Not a Def Player of the year player who scouts think is too small. Again, an injustice to the man himself.

    And lastly, the fact that you are comparing Sam to Romo and Brady shows me that you are the type of person I am speaking against. Sam has NO place in a discussion with Romo or Brady. Lets break it down.

    1. UFA who is now the QB and Leader for one of the most celebrated teams in history. Linked to a Hollywood Star (people love there TMZ)
    2. Drafted I believe 199 overall with 6 QB going ahead of him to become a multi time SB champion. Linked to a Celebrity Model. TMZ effect again.
    3. Openly Gay.


    While all 3 of these could and should get TMZ coverage only 2 belong to be highlighted on sports networks at this stage. And not for who they are sticking there dick in. Sam could be a great story. It was over done. Let him play then have your stories. No matter what his career becomes he will be a trend setter, I get that. Yes they should have done a story on Sam. but not to the extinct that they did IF they are really trying to promote him as an equal and say its all about football. No they are taking advantage of Sam just as much as he tried to use it to his advantage.


    Players who are good do not have national coverage in there house on draft day. Boyd was at one time a top prospect before returning to school. Plus I am willing to bet it was Local media not national media. I would fully expect local media to cover both during the draft.




    ummmmm....HUH? I do not get this line of thinking or what Ice cold is trying to say. A top college player would have high draft prospects. What I can tell, though, is you are commenting on something that you have no clue about. Go watch NFL network and ESPN. The coverage is about there football prospects...With Sam it was just he is gay he is going into the draft he is gay he might get drafted. My point. again. for the PC crowd who doesn't get it is that it is an injustice to Sam and that it should be about football. Sam did NOT get anywhere near the coverage from ANY national sports network until he said he was gay.
    Jason White won the Heisman undrafted, Troy Smith won the heisman fifth round pick. Eric Crouch won the heisman third round pick.

    Look at the list of all americans every year. There are plenty that aren't drafted or drafted later on. Did you not see this year's draft. They had video of a ton of late round picks being drafted.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

  8. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Return Of...... View Post
    I think the whole coming out and announcing it thing is stupid. I think Sam did it to try and boost his draft stock and personally I hate it. Nothing against the fact that he is gay but he was projected a late rd to undrafted FA. The stories that have been posted about him being drafted basically admit to Fisher taking him because of the media surrounding a gay player. Sports stars should be judge on the skills and skills alone.

    I say be yourself. If you are caught or someone ask admit to who you are but this whole coming out of the closest or announcing you are gay is not helping the gay community like everyone thinks. Enough with the drama and special media attention. You want to be accepted and not treated any different then there doesn't need to be an announcement. Unless Sam blows the roof off the place in Stl he will forever be known as the first openly gay football player and that's bullshit. He should be judged like everyone else on the field.

    Same goes for fighters. I highly doubt in 2014 many people care if a fighter is gay or straight. What most care about is can the dude fight. Who in there right mind would want anything detracting from his great of a fighter / football player / athelete they are? Maybe I'm missing something because I don't get it but it seems to me sexual orientation doesn't have anything to do with sports

    And this isn't just my opinion on gay athletes. It applies to people like Tim Tebow as well. The media either loved him or hated him but either watbit always skewed what he did as a player one way or another.
    So you're in with the "Don't ask don't tell" crowd then? Because if seems like you're completely missing the point about celebrities and athletes coming out. It's about representation and showing that you can be yourself. A gay teenage boy who plays football has no one to look up to, now he has Sam (How good Sam is is a story for another time), and that's an extremely valuable thing to see someone you relate to do something that you dream of doing someday.

    And personally for Sam, it's about not hiding himself and not having to hide from his teammates or media like Kerry Rhodes, who infamously was outed by the media.

    If you don't care, then I don't see why you would care if someone came out anyways. Seems like you'd jjust be better off to say "whatever" and move on.

  9. Default

    I just dont see the logic behind this. Why could a gay teenager not look up to anyone they chose to idolize? Why would it have to be another gay football player? When I played, I looked up to guys like Bryan Cox, Warren Sapp, Gilbert Brown, Gary Plummer.... Not for who they slept with, not for the colour of their skin, but for their athletic abilities.

    There's a difference between not caring about someone's sexuality, and "dont ask dont tell". Prejudice still exists today, because for some reason, we as society feel a need to make everyone's differences front page news, or a ticker-tape parade, or a half-hour tv program.. Things that if equality was really important, wouldnt matter in the slightest.

    Im not proud of someone for "coming out of the closet", Im proud of them for accepting themselves, and being themselves because thats what makes them happy. The only reason I can ever think of to have to come out and say "Im gay" or "Im straight" is because you just got hit on by someone, and you need to tell them why its not your cup of tea.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •