Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the UFC ready for an openly gay male fighter?

Better question, on topic:

What would your opinion be of a male fighter who simply refused to fight an openly gay fighter regardless of his reasoning?

The players who are good in college usually have cameras in the house even if they aren't projected to go in the early rounds. Some players' game doesn't translate well. Sam was a great college D-lineman but many scouts think that he is too small to be a d-lineman and too slow to be an outside linebacker so his value wasn't all that high.
    This is a bit of misinformation. No one ever considered Sam a "great" college D-lineman. It is almost universally accepted that he was quite limited in his recognition and overall moves to get free. Also, he had one good year and nearly every scout accepts that it was due to teams focusing on Kony Ealy who went in the 2nd round.
    Last edited by SimpleJack; 05-16-2014 at 12:24 PM.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post

What would your opinion be of a male fighter who simply refused to fight an openly gay fighter regardless of his reasoning?
    I would lose respect for that fighter, regardless of the reasoning
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post

This is a bit of misinformation. No one ever considered Sam a "great" college D-lineman. It is almost universally accepted that he was quite limited in his recognition and overall moves to get free. Also, he had one good year and nearly every scout accepts that it was due to teams focusing on Kony Ealy who went in the 2nd round.
    I agree with Kevo. I would lose respect for the fighter as long as it was a legitimate fight between guys in the same weightclass.

I agree with him agreeing with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

I think you would see some guys feel as though they were put in a trick bag on this one is why I ask.

On one hand, if they lose, they COULD feel as though they were beaten by someone "less masculine" and it would cause some severe pride damage.

On another hand, if they were to win, they could be perceived in a totally different way depending on how the fight went.

6. Default

I agree with all the dicks. All of them.

Didn't Big Nog say he wouldn't train JJ with an openly gay guy? I would assume he wouldn't fight him either. I dunno though.

Hopefully if we get to see an openly gay fighter, he is one of the most feminine guys out there, knocking dudes smooth out.

I would enjoy that.

Jon Dodson?

Quote Originally Posted by The Return Of...... View Post
    See, you are doing the same thing that I questioned about Sakara. Did you even read my post? Did it not make any sense? Are you just trying to jump on the band wagon or not reading an entire post or thread then commenting????

Let me break it down for you. I NEVER said Sam shouldn't be openly gay. In fact I stated in my first post that he should be open about it. What I also stated that it should come in the form of a big announcement and take center stage over his football career and chances especially before he even makes a team.

I also stated that while I believe he did it the way that he did to to enhance his exposure that I thought the media was taking it too far and was going to make it even more difficult for his chances to make the team. Tebow faced the same thing because everyone was watching and critical of every move.

The segments you are talking about are more tabloid / magazine show than ESPN, although they probably have mentioned it before. If they were to do a 30 for 30 type or E60 or a football life about Sam in a year or 2 I would think it is great. The kid aint done shit yet though.

If you read the article about Fisher drafting Sam they highlight that the Rams drafted an openly gay player. Not a Def Player of the year player who scouts think is too small. Again, an injustice to the man himself.

And lastly, the fact that you are comparing Sam to Romo and Brady shows me that you are the type of person I am speaking against. Sam has NO place in a discussion with Romo or Brady. Lets break it down.

1. UFA who is now the QB and Leader for one of the most celebrated teams in history. Linked to a Hollywood Star (people love there TMZ)
    2. Drafted I believe 199 overall with 6 QB going ahead of him to become a multi time SB champion. Linked to a Celebrity Model. TMZ effect again.
    3. Openly Gay.

While all 3 of these could and should get TMZ coverage only 2 belong to be highlighted on sports networks at this stage. And not for who they are sticking there dick in. Sam could be a great story. It was over done. Let him play then have your stories. No matter what his career becomes he will be a trend setter, I get that. Yes they should have done a story on Sam. but not to the extinct that they did IF they are really trying to promote him as an equal and say its all about football. No they are taking advantage of Sam just as much as he tried to use it to his advantage.

Players who are good do not have national coverage in there house on draft day. Boyd was at one time a top prospect before returning to school. Plus I am willing to bet it was Local media not national media. I would fully expect local media to cover both during the draft.

ummmmm....HUH? I do not get this line of thinking or what Ice cold is trying to say. A top college player would have high draft prospects. What I can tell, though, is you are commenting on something that you have no clue about. Go watch NFL network and ESPN. The coverage is about there football prospects...With Sam it was just he is gay he is going into the draft he is gay he might get drafted. My point. again. for the PC crowd who doesn't get it is that it is an injustice to Sam and that it should be about football. Sam did NOT get anywhere near the coverage from ANY national sports network until he said he was gay.
    Jason White won the Heisman undrafted, Troy Smith won the heisman fifth round pick. Eric Crouch won the heisman third round pick.

Look at the list of all americans every year. There are plenty that aren't drafted or drafted later on. Did you not see this year's draft. They had video of a ton of late round picks being drafted.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    Jason White won the Heisman undrafted, Troy Smith won the heisman fifth round pick. Eric Crouch won the heisman third round pick.

Look at the list of all americans every year. There are plenty that aren't drafted or drafted later on. Did you not see this year's draft. They had video of a ton of late round picks being drafted.
    The ones you quoted, just for reference, were awarded the Heisman for overall career achievements rather than being a standout, dominant player who would translate to the next level.

Grossman deserved it the year Crouch won. McFadden the year Smith won, and Larry Fitz and Eli over Jason White.

Here is a better question why would said fighter feel the need to share what he does in his bed room with the world why not just shut the fuck up and fight

Thread Information