Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Is the UFC ready for an openly gay male fighter?

Quote Originally Posted by mma #1 fan View Post
    Here is a better question why would said fighter feel the need to share what he does in his bed room with the world why not just shut the fuck up and fight

Famous people often cite their "coming out" as an attempt to give hope to children who are struggling to accept their own sexual orientation.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by mma #1 fan View Post
    Here is a better question why would said fighter feel the need to share what he does in his bed room with the world why not just shut the fuck up and fight
    According to you, everyone should just shut the fuck up.

It is indeed to give hope to those who are different, who are bullied for it and are struggling to make something of themselves while they view their world as being against them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    According to you, everyone should just shut the fuck up.

It is indeed to give hope to those who are different, who are bullied for it and are struggling to make something of themselves while they view their world as being against them.
    Fluff pieces are there to make a quick buck. E60, 30 for 30, A Football Life, any documentary..those are there and can provide inspiration and hope for those who have been bullied and struggling. Not someone who hasn't even had a career yet. I am not saying they should ignore it, but the man hasn't even made the team yet. It would be different if they did a piece on his college career and his struggles leading up to him getting drafted...but thats not the direction they are going so far and to me that is an injustice.

Back to the topic. I think some fighters would have an issue with it. I do not think the younger generation would. I think the biggest problem would be Dana would rush them to the top, protect them and try to get them to the title before they were really ready just to cash in. Again, it wouldn't be the heart warming story everyone wants it would be exploitation. I could see Remy going the same route, although hopefully he would put them in the tournament and let them earn there shot and fame.

The only way I could ever accept someone turning down and refusing the fight is if it something like Cain refusing to fight Butterbean because its just a pointless stupid match-up.

I wish someone like chuck Liddell or Roy Nelson would come out... One of the real redneck casual fan favorite. The guy the tough guys like. Just come out manly as ever and challenge everyone's status que of what a gay male is... And then just refuse to talk about thier personal life. Because it's no ones business. Come out, blow some minds, and go back to business.

Quote Originally Posted by rspier View Post
    I wish someone like chuck Liddell or Roy Nelson would come out... One of the real redneck casual fan favorite. The guy the tough guys like. Just come out manly as ever and challenge everyone's status que of what a gay male is... And then just refuse to talk about thier personal life. Because it's no ones business. Come out, blow some minds, and go back to business.
    I would go as far as to guarantee that both of those guys aren't gay.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    Better question, on topic:

What would your opinion be of a male fighter who simply refused to fight an openly gay fighter regardless of his reasoning?

This is a bit of misinformation. No one ever considered Sam a "great" college D-lineman. It is almost universally accepted that he was quite limited in his recognition and overall moves to get free. Also, he had one good year and nearly every scout accepts that it was due to teams focusing on Kony Ealy who went in the 2nd round.
    He was pretty great man. SEC defensive player of the year is no joke. I agree with the Ealy analysis. I am actually not big at all on Sam being a good pro but he was a big name in the college football world even before he came out publicly.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    I would go as far as to guarantee that both of those guys aren't gay.
    I don't think they're gay. That's also not my point...

.....wow. Surprised at the lack of GSP jokes in thread....
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

9. Default

GSP has ran through more tail than all of us combined.

Quote Originally Posted by The Return Of...... View Post
    I think the whole coming out and announcing it thing is stupid. I think Sam did it to try and boost his draft stock and personally I hate it. Nothing against the fact that he is gay but he was projected a late rd to undrafted FA. The stories that have been posted about him being drafted basically admit to Fisher taking him because of the media surrounding a gay player. Sports stars should be judge on the skills and skills alone.

I say be yourself. If you are caught or someone ask admit to who you are but this whole coming out of the closest or announcing you are gay is not helping the gay community like everyone thinks. Enough with the drama and special media attention. You want to be accepted and not treated any different then there doesn't need to be an announcement. Unless Sam blows the roof off the place in Stl he will forever be known as the first openly gay football player and that's bullshit. He should be judged like everyone else on the field.

Same goes for fighters. I highly doubt in 2014 many people care if a fighter is gay or straight. What most care about is can the dude fight. Who in there right mind would want anything detracting from his great of a fighter / football player / athelete they are? Maybe I'm missing something because I don't get it but it seems to me sexual orientation doesn't have anything to do with sports

And this isn't just my opinion on gay athletes. It applies to people like Tim Tebow as well. The media either loved him or hated him but either watbit always skewed what he did as a player one way or another.
    So you're in with the "Don't ask don't tell" crowd then? Because if seems like you're completely missing the point about celebrities and athletes coming out. It's about representation and showing that you can be yourself. A gay teenage boy who plays football has no one to look up to, now he has Sam (How good Sam is is a story for another time), and that's an extremely valuable thing to see someone you relate to do something that you dream of doing someday.

And personally for Sam, it's about not hiding himself and not having to hide from his teammates or media like Kerry Rhodes, who infamously was outed by the media.

If you don't care, then I don't see why you would care if someone came out anyways. Seems like you'd jjust be better off to say "whatever" and move on.

Thread Information