Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 83

Thread: Is the UFC ready for an openly gay male fighter?

  1. Default

    I just dont see the logic behind this. Why could a gay teenager not look up to anyone they chose to idolize? Why would it have to be another gay football player? When I played, I looked up to guys like Bryan Cox, Warren Sapp, Gilbert Brown, Gary Plummer.... Not for who they slept with, not for the colour of their skin, but for their athletic abilities.

    There's a difference between not caring about someone's sexuality, and "dont ask dont tell". Prejudice still exists today, because for some reason, we as society feel a need to make everyone's differences front page news, or a ticker-tape parade, or a half-hour tv program.. Things that if equality was really important, wouldnt matter in the slightest.

    Im not proud of someone for "coming out of the closet", Im proud of them for accepting themselves, and being themselves because thats what makes them happy. The only reason I can ever think of to have to come out and say "Im gay" or "Im straight" is because you just got hit on by someone, and you need to tell them why its not your cup of tea.

  2. #72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Twist of Lemon View Post
    So you're in with the "Don't ask don't tell" crowd then? Because if seems like you're completely missing the point about celebrities and athletes coming out. It's about representation and showing that you can be yourself. A gay teenage boy who plays football has no one to look up to, now he has Sam (How good Sam is is a story for another time), and that's an extremely valuable thing to see someone you relate to do something that you dream of doing someday.

    And personally for Sam, it's about not hiding himself and not having to hide from his teammates or media like Kerry Rhodes, who infamously was outed by the media.

    If you don't care, then I don't see why you would care if someone came out anyways. Seems like you'd jjust be better off to say "whatever" and move on.
    Maybe you should try reading my post, all of them before making assumptions. Let me try to explain it to you although you come off by your post as narrow minded as you are accusing me of being

    I never said Michael Sam should hide who he is. In fact I stated that he should be open about being gay. What I said was being gay has no impact on whether he makes it in the NFL. Any gay teenager who plays football can look up to any football player they choose. It shouldn't matter if they are gay or not. By people making such a big deal about him being gay instead of and over the fact that he is a football player is an injustice.

    As far as a rile model for a football player at the NFL he hasn't even made the team yet.

    Yes it pissed me off and I think they did Sam wrong by every time he was shown are draft talking about him coming out and being gay instead of talking about what he can do on the field and what he brings to a NFL defense.

    I also stated that I felt they did the same thing to Tebow. Just for a different reason. At least with him it was after he made the team.

    You people come off as ignorant preaching about how everyone is equal yet think Sam should get treated special because he is gay.

    Now keep in mind. I also think its stupid how they keep showing and bringing up McCarrons gf. The only reason it doesn't piss me off as much is that is usually leads to funny shit like the championship game.

    For any athlete of any sport it should be about can they play. I'm not saying hide who they are. I'm saying there sexual preference shouldn't matter. If they would have focused on Sam as a football player I would have been happy. Sam even said I want to be known as Michael Sam the football player not Michael Sam the gay football player.

    If people really want equality and equal rights then being gay shouldn't be breaking news. I'm not saying a guy can't say he is gay but breaking news?

    But maybe you are the kind of person who that sort of thing matters and you think sexual preference should be listed under the profile because it somehow matters in the world of sports.

  3. Default

    Yeah you ignorant people!

  4. #74
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    with my parents of course
    Posts
    2,650

    Default

    Well if you are playing in a televised sport like the NFL or the UFC, you really have to address that issue. If you don't and it comes out, you'll have to address it anyway. And then the media will be all over you for "hiding it". Best to just put it out there and do your job better than the next guy vying for your spot, just as any player/fighter would. There are certain things you have to address head on when you become a celebrity. And if you are on television performing in front of millions of people, that by definition makes you a celebrity. Like it or not.
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

    "I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee


  5. #75
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NY--->MIA
    Posts
    8,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joeodd2 View Post
    Well if you are playing in a televised sport like the NFL or the UFC, you really have to address that issue. If you don't and it comes out, you'll have to address it anyway. And then the media will be all over you for "hiding it". Best to just put it out there and do your job better than the next guy vying for your spot, just as any player/fighter would. There are certain things you have to address head on when you become a celebrity. And if you are on television performing in front of millions of people, that by definition makes you a celebrity. Like it or not.
    I see what you are saying but at the same time i don't really like the way Michael Sam went about this. He is walking around like this superhero when he could've said hey look I'm gay and I play football..that's it. Yes it would've gotten a big reaction but he isn't really making it his private life. Also a lot of people do keep their private lives very private. I do not think that TMZ is snopping around following seventh round picks to find out who they are dating. I for on keep my sex life very private with people I know. I don't really know why I just don't tell anyone I just do my thing and move on. Yes I'm a horny motherfucker but most of my friends don't even know that or some of the girls I've been with.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

  6. #76
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    I see what you are saying but at the same time i don't really like the way Michael Sam went about this. He is walking around like this superhero when he could've said hey look I'm gay and I play football..that's it. Yes it would've gotten a big reaction but he isn't really making it his private life. Also a lot of people do keep their private lives very private. I do not think that TMZ is snopping around following seventh round picks to find out who they are dating. I for on keep my sex life very private with people I know. I don't really know why I just don't tell anyone I just do my thing and move on. Yes I'm a horny motherfucker but most of my friends don't even know that or some of the girls I've been with.
    I dont get what the big deal is either. Definitely not worthy of lime light just because of it.

    You know what's sad? People criticized Tim Tebow for his faith and public display of it(praying and the John 3:16 eye glare block) They dont like it, but they love and glorify homosexuality in the public professional spotlight. It's the exact same thing really if you think about it. Just one persons beliefs/preferences.

    So what you are gay and are a professional football player now, who cares? I dont see the fascination of why anybody give any shits about people's sexual preferences and who they sleep with. Too each their own
    "I leave this as a declaration of intent, so no one will get confused. 1: Si vis pacum para bellum. Latin. If you want peace, prepare for war. 2: Frank Castle is dead. He died with his family. 3: In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacies, it is necessary to act outside the law. To pursue natural justice. This isn't vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response. No, not vengeance. Punishment "

  7. #77
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NY--->MIA
    Posts
    8,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyDeluxe View Post
    I dont get what the big deal is either. Definitely not worthy of lime light just because of it.

    You know what's sad? People criticized Tim Tebow for his faith and public display of it(praying and the John 3:16 eye glare block) They dont like it, but they love and glorify homosexuality in the public professional spotlight. It's the exact same thing really if you think about it. Just one persons beliefs/preferences.

    So what you are gay and are a professional football player now, who cares? I dont see the fascination of why anybody give any shits about people's sexual preferences and who they sleep with. Too each their own
    I agree with you 99 percent on this such a great point and there is an awesome meme about it too. Only thing is I understand why they banned the eye black thingsince players could use it to advertise and what not.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

  8. #78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    I see what you are saying but at the same time i don't really like the way Michael Sam went about this. He is walking around like this superhero when he could've said hey look I'm gay and I play football..that's it. Yes it would've gotten a big reaction but he isn't really making it his private life. Also a lot of people do keep their private lives very private. I do not think that TMZ is snopping around following seventh round picks to find out who they are dating. I for on keep my sex life very private with people I know. I don't really know why I just don't tell anyone I just do my thing and move on. Yes I'm a horny motherfucker but most of my friends don't even know that or some of the girls I've been with.
    ^^^^^^^this. Maybe I didn't word it right. But this really sums up what I was saying all along. That and that the media should focus on him as a football player.

  9. #79
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by W.Silva>C.Norris View Post
    I just dont see the logic behind this. Why could a gay teenager not look up to anyone they chose to idolize? Why would it have to be another gay football player? When I played, I looked up to guys like Bryan Cox, Warren Sapp, Gilbert Brown, Gary Plummer.... Not for who they slept with, not for the colour of their skin, but for their athletic abilities.

    There's a difference between not caring about someone's sexuality, and "dont ask dont tell". Prejudice still exists today, because for some reason, we as society feel a need to make everyone's differences front page news, or a ticker-tape parade, or a half-hour tv program.. Things that if equality was really important, wouldnt matter in the slightest.

    Im not proud of someone for "coming out of the closet", Im proud of them for accepting themselves, and being themselves because thats what makes them happy. The only reason I can ever think of to have to come out and say "Im gay" or "Im straight" is because you just got hit on by someone, and you need to tell them why its not your cup of tea.
    Excellent post. The world needs more of this.
    USA! USA! USA!

    Stealing is wrong!

  10. #80
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    13,396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Return Of...... View Post
    That and that the media should focus on him as a football player.
    Don't agree. You could make an argument that ESPN should just focus on him as a football player, because thats what they do; sports. But the rest of the general media are under no such obligations and can report on whatever part of the story they feel is the biggest news.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •