Thread: Ben Fowlkes

Default Ben Fowlkes

Alright... so I don't want to bash anyone. But I have brought up this topic before and I'm going to bring it up again.
    And I'm going to try to be respectful.

Ben Fowlkes.

Did anyone see the video he posted "Cheaters Always Win (In the UFC)"?

If not... here ya go : http://mmajunkie.com/2014/06/ben-fow...win-in-the-ufc

Is it just me, or is it EXTREMELY strange for a reporter to post a video like that?

1) I saw the Caraway fight. It looked to me like Caraway was using a COMMON technique of placing his hand over his opponents mouth to disrupt their breathing... and his fingers went inside the guy's mouth. Caraway was asked about the incident at the post fight press conference and basically said that that is what happened. So... why is Ben stating "Caraway fish hooked him" like it was a deliberate act? (Maybe it was! Maybe it wasn't. But why would a reporter "report" it as FACT when, really, he has no way of knowing?)

2) Yes, Pearson got robbed. But was that the first bad call in MMA? Was it the worst? Not really. Was it "obvious signs of corruption"? Ummmm... not really. It was a bad call. But I don't know of any evidence that the judges were somehow paid off or in cahoots with Sanchez to "give" him the fight. And to suggest it seems pretty unprofessional.

3) Benson Henderson pretty much called a spade a spade when he said that the media likes to get guys to say stuff and build up hype and create artificial interest/story lines. That's a pretty honest and obvious statement. So... why does Ben make it out like Henderson is "talking crazy"???

Please let me hear some opinions on this.

Admittedly I'm not a Ben Fowlkes fan. I make no secret of this.

But that video just blew me away.
    I mean... it's not even reporting.
    It's like watching the old Glenn Beck show or something.

Thoughts?
    And feel free to tell me to F.O. and that I'm completely wrong!

Journalism isn't journalism anymore. It's all opinions. Everything is driven by money, and wanting to be known as a famous personality. As someone who went to school for journalism, and as a human person, I am disgusted by it.
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

Like dono said journalism today is a forgotten ideal not a reality. That Ben Fowlkes hes no Peter Jennings. Though frankly mma journalism has very few bright stars and everybody else is at the bottom of the pit. So if u take exception with ben u probably wont like 99% of the mma media and what few nuggets of journalism they deliver.
    I should mention that i pretty much agree with everything Fowlkes asserts in this short video.
    Last edited by mmawolverine; 06-10-2014 at 04:28 AM.

I've never liked Fowlkes. I thought cagepotato actually got better when he left...not much, but addition by subtraction. I'm not going to bother to watch the vid, because I find him that annoying...but I think it's hilarious that he doesn't even bother to type, that he's trying to present himself as some type of personality within the sport.

Today's media is dodgy at best. MMA media is even worse, it has the least boundaries and attracts the least journalistic talent available.

He's doing this to build his brand. Responsible, even-handed reporters don't attract notice--particularly not in an industry that has been overcome by hype. Zuffa's fans--and now MMA fans in general--don't want to read both sides of the story and think for themselves. They want a polarizing slant that they can swallow wholeheartedly or vociferously disagree with.

I used to be able to simply consider the source and dismiss it, but shit reporting has become the norm, and good stories are few and far between. It's like all mma reporting has a vague brown wash over the type.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

5. Default

Not really interested in the video, but....

UFN was terribly full of fouls. I wont even discuss the bad judging, as I feel that has become just an aspect of this "sport" now. Eye pokes, fish hooks, repeated punches to the back of the head, and worst of all, ref's watching this all happen.

Caraway can make any excuse he wants, but regardless of your intentions, your fingers wound up in your opponents mouth. If you cant perform the Matt Hughes patented face cover without putting fingers where fingers shouldnt be, DONT USE THE TECHNIQUE.

The same goes for the Yves Edwards vs Hallmann. How Hallmann wasnt deducted a point for his 2nd eyepoke I'll never understand. When an "accident" happens a 2nd time, its not an accident anymore.

About half of the punches that RDA used to finish off his opponent too were right to the back of the head. Then, to top it off, he pretty much ended his own fight. Ref's should NOT let fighters dictate when the fight is over. I wont say it was an early stoppage, but in no way should RDA be telling Yamasaki the fight is over.

I guess when you let one of your champions get away with constant and consistant fouls, its hard to dicipline the mid-card guys for it.

I bet that some websites would hire Bloodstain Lane as a journalist. That must be enough to realize that you do not have to be a journalist at all to get that job.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Thread Information