+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Will Brooks lashes out at Bellator and Bjorn Rebney

1. Default Will Brooks lashes out at Bellator and Bjorn Rebney

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/5/20...-says-fighters

Following Will Brooks' controversial win for the Bellator interim lightweight title against Michael Chandler, Bellator's Bjorn Rebney stated that champion Eddie Alvarez was still able to request a fight with Chandler instead of Brooks. Apparently this was something built into Alvarez's contract, meaning that Brooks could have his shot at the full lightweight title delayed because the man he just beat will get first crack.

That led to Brooks going on a bit of a rant on Twitter last night, blasting a system he says he's determined to change.

Here's the complete Will Brooks Twitter rant:

Will Brooks ✔ @illwillbrooks86
    Follow
    I honestly couldn't careless about what Bellator does next. I'll be here getting better and ready to fight anyone anytime. #anyonecangetit
    1:02 PM - 19 May 2014
    Follow
    Like it or not I won the belt. I don't care what Bjorn or Bellator does next, go do Chandler/Alvarez III I don't care #nofucksaregiven
    1:34 AM - 20 May 2014
    Follow
    Bjorn's not going to send 1 of Bellator's poster boys to the back of the line and back in the tournament. Let's stop playing games
    1:36 AM - 20 May 2014
    Follow
    I honestly don't need the Bellator belt to be champion I just want to get better as a fighter and change the way things work now.
    1:38 AM - 20 May 2014
    Follow
    I paid Chandler respect said "with or without a belt Chandler is a champion still" he can't show the same respect fine lets do it again bro
    1:47 AM - 20 May 2014
    Follow
    We the fighters break our necks, grind, suffer, and sacrifice in the gym to battle and entertain. And for what? To be taken advantage of
    1:57 AM - 20 May 2014
    Follow
    Some people believe Chandler beat me and that's fine your entitled to your opinions. But this fight I took wasn't about a win or the belt
    1:59 AM - 20 May 2014
    Follow
    I took the fight against Chandler because I believe 100% that it's time for a change in the organization so I put myself out there
    2:00 AM - 20 May 2014
    Brooks joins a long tradition of Bellator fighters who have been unhappy with the promotion.

Alvarez had a long contract battle that ended up in court, Muhammad Lawal lost his mind on Rebney both before and after Bellator 120, Patricio Freire has gone off about Bellator passing up tournament winners to get favorable match-ups, Attila Vegh claimed to be healthy when he was light heavyweight champion but was treated as injured allowing the promotion to book their desired Lawal vs. Newton rematch...and so on.
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

Translation: Chandler lost, but lets bury Will Brooks and pretend like that fight never happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

I kinda like Brooks more now.

He was given a great opportunity on short notice to fight one of the best lightweights in the world. He stepped up and won, regardless of what fans thought of the decision. He's willing to fight Chandler again if necessary or fight Alvarez. The fact that he could be passed up for Alvarez/Chandler 3 is stunningly disappointing after what Bjorn said about Alvarez's contract.

Chael getting a title shot was bullshit. Tate getting a title shot was bullshit. Brett Rogers facing Overeem in Strikeforce was bullshit. This is worse than any of them, in my opinion, from a pure matchmaking point. Brooks should face Alvarez to unify the titles.

One interesting thing that Brooks said was Bellator doesn't want to send their 'poster boy' back to the end of the line and make him earn his title shot through the tourney.

I could be wrong, but I remember prior to Chandler, Alvarez was the poster boy and he didnt have to go through the tourney again to fight Chandler. He fought Aoki and Freire and earned his shot. Seems like Bellator wants Chandler to avoid the tourney, beat Eddie as the quickest way to earn his shot, and sell it as a PPV trilogy fight and let Eddie go out on a loss.

I am ok with former champs not having to go through the tournament since if all they have is the tournament and the champion, doesn't leave many fights or many guys per division, all you need is 8 people per season for the tournament and the champion sitting around at the end waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by MMA4EVERRR View Post
    One interesting thing that Brooks said was Bellator doesn't want to send their 'poster boy' back to the end of the line and make him earn his title shot through the tourney.

I could be wrong, but I remember prior to Chandler, Alvarez was the poster boy and he didnt have to go through the tourney again to fight Chandler. He fought Aoki and Freire and earned his shot. Seems like Bellator wants Chandler to avoid the tourney, beat Eddie as the quickest way to earn his shot, and sell it as a PPV trilogy fight and let Eddie go out on a loss.

Many times the longer-reigning former champions have to fight once or twice [and beat their opponent(s)] to get a title shot. I think an interesting way to solve the problem of former champions not having to enter the whole tournament is that he should get a bye until the semi-finals or finals. It'll be an interesting twist to some tournaments [and a breath of fresh air] when former champions enter it.

Cat already posted this

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    Many times the longer-reigning former champions have to fight once or twice [and beat their opponent(s)] to get a title shot. I think an interesting way to solve the problem of former champions not having to enter the whole tournament is that he should get a bye until the semi-finals or finals. It'll be an interesting twist to some tournaments [and a breath of fresh air] when former champions enter it.
    I agree.

Bellator needs to update their tournament format and then stick to the rules of it.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information