Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eddie Alvarez 'If I have to fight Chandler again, it's because Bellator wants it that

Default Eddie Alvarez 'If I have to fight Chandler again, it's because Bellator wants it that

Eddie Alvarez 'If I have to fight Chandler again, it's because Bellator wants it that way'
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/5/22...ts-it-that-way
    Bloody Elbow: What did you think of the Brooks/Chandler fight?

Eddie Alvarez: My initial reaction was that the fight was even, and if I had to give it to either guy, I'd give it to Brooks. The fight was super close, and I'd have to go back and watch it again before I made a more definitive decision on who won for sure.

Bloody Elbow: Bjorn Rebney said that you could demand to fight Michael Chandler if you wanted to, that it's stipulated in your contract. Who would you prefer to fight?

Eddie Alvarez: For the record, I've never, ever picked an opponent. I've always had my opponents selected for me by the promotion. I've never had a preference. I was simply told who I was fighting, and I fought them.

I want to be clear on this, whatever was written into my contract, was written by Bellator. I made no changes at all to the contract. If it says that I have to fight Mike Chandler again, that's because Bellator wants it that way.

I think it's only fair and right, just in the way things should go in a promotion, for me to fight Will Brooks. To me, that's the right way to go. I don't want to be a part of this whole debacle. It's very messy, and it just doesn't feel right that a guy has an interim belt, yet I'm supposed to fight another guy coming off a loss to the guy with the interim belt.

Will Brooks should be the guy they put me in front of for my next fight. Just know that whoever is picked, whoever I end up fighting, it was never my decision. Don't let anyone tell you any differently, it's not my decision and it never was.

Bloody Elbow: What was the whole deal with making the fight for an interim title?

Eddie Alvarez: That may be the first time in the history of MMA that was ever done. When we went to them after I suffered the concussion, I told them, it wasn't going to be months that I would be out, that it would just be about 6 weeks or so. The timing was unfortunate, but it wasn't an injury that was going to set me back several months.

Knowing that I wouldn't be out for very long, they still went ahead and set up an interim title. That was unprecedented. That was the fastest interim title I've ever seen instituted [laughs].

Bloody Elbow: Did you see Will Brooks' Twitter rant, and if so, what are your thoughts on it?

Eddie Alvarez: I feel bad for him. They say if you win the tournament, you get a shot at the champion. Not only did he not get a shot at the champion, he stepped in late, did everything he was supposed to do, won an interim belt, and now he still don't get a shot.

More than anything else, I want to get this point across, I actually prefer to fight Will Brooks. It will be more exciting for me than to fight the same guy three times in a row. If I ever were given a preference, it would be to fight Will. Training for the same guy three times running stinks. The thing is, it will never be up to me who I get to fight. I will fight whoever they put in front of me. That's how it's always been, and that's how it will always be.

Bloody Elbow: What did you think of Chandler's performance? Do you think he took Brooks too lightly?

Eddie Alvarez: I think Mike was hurt going into that fight.

Bloody Elbow: Kenny Monday was recently released from his contract with the Blackzilians. What are your thoughts on that?

Eddie Alvarez: I learned a lot from Kenny, and he helped me in many different ways. The whole situation is kind of over my head, but it's my understanding that he had some internal issues with other team members, his relationship with other members of the team wasn't the same as the one I had with him.

Bloody Elbow: Will your next fight be a PPV bout or will it just be an ordinary SPIKE card?

Eddie Alvarez: Yeah, it's definitely going to be a PPV fight. I only say that because they've already disclosed that information to the public.

Bloody Elbow: It must be a great relief to you that your contract fell under the old language, and since then, the new contracts are much more ironclad and binding as far as extensions go.

Eddie Alvarez: [Laughs] I didn't sign a contract this last time. People have a misconception about that. I signed an out of court settlement. The old contract was hard for me to deal with, but I'm certainly glad that I'm signed to that one instead of the new ones with all the extension provisions.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Why do I have a feel that every fighter at Bellator would be so much happier somewhere else?
    I've never wanted UFC to eat up another promotion before. But with Bellator that's an exception.
    WSOF would be a good place for 90% of their fighters. The other 10% go to UFC.
    Bellator seems like it runs by some crooked, dumb muthafuckas.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

Reading this week's Observer, Meltzer stated how the last thing Bellator wants is for Alvarez to fight and beat Brooks, because if he does, than he's beaten both of their LW champions and it kinda takes a lot of steam out of a potential Chandler/Brooks II down the line, if they've both dropped bouts to Eddie. He goes on to state how Eddie'd be far better off taking the Brooks fight, with the potential of leaving the promotion having beaten BOTH top Bellator "champions", leaving with the "unified title" and walking right into a UFC title fight with a lot of momentum.

Now they're going to have to work out a deal to entice Eddie to take a Chandler trilogy fight, but a Brooks fight makes a lot better "business sense" for him in the longterm...

If im Eddie - im looking for any chance i get to fuck bellator. Fighting Brooks and beating him would be the icing on the cake.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    If im Eddie - im looking for any chance i get to fuck bellator. Fighting Brooks and beating him would be the icing on the cake.
    On the flip side to that, if Eddie fights Brooks and loses, his stock plummets.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    wouldnt his stock plummet if he loses either fight? Chandler or Brooks. One would argue losing to an "interim" champ would be better than losing to the guy who just lost to the "interim" champ.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Personally, I don't see Eddie having any troubles with Brooks whatsoever, while he's already gone to war twice with Chandler and squeaked out a close one last time out, which was a lucky break that could've gone either way...

I was onboard with Brooks a while ago after the Kitaoka win but somewhat soured on him after the first Awad bout where he got blown out of the water early(his striking has improved since then but still not great), and in his subsequent tourney fights, Brooks has fought a helluva lot more conservatively and I think his chin and standup just won't hold up against Alvarez's and I think Eddie fights a lot more intelligently than Chandler did.

IMO, Brooks is still somewhat raw and has a lot of potential(he's only been pro three years) and will only be getting better, but he got dropped several times against Chandler(and blinked out for a second in the fifth), and this was against a Chandler who looked quite poorly in the bout. A strong argument could be made that if Chandler utilized a little superior fight IQ with regards to grappling and his willingness to give up his back(while looking to explode, which worked some, didn't work some), he very well might not have lost the key round they said he lost.

Bellator has become an absolute joke.

Quote Originally Posted by m1ckeykn0x View Post
    Bellator has become an absolute joke.
    I disagree. Jokes are funny. Bellator is just sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by zana1126 View Post
    I prefer to watch my grandmother fucking.
    Whatever floats your boat man...

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    wouldnt his stock plummet if he loses either fight? Chandler or Brooks. One would argue losing to an "interim" champ would be better than losing to the guy who just lost to the "interim" champ.
    I see it more as, Chandler Alverez can be sold as Eddie has beat Michael and Michael has beat Eddie. If Eddie fights and loses to Brooks, Eddie will then have lost to the top two guys in Bellator not just Chandler. But I see the point you are making.

Thread Information