+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MMA fighter taps out instead of beating on opponent

Default MMA fighter taps out instead of beating on opponent

Amateur MMA fighter Mike Pantangco lost in extraordinary fashion recently. Pantangco appeared to be teeing off on Jeremy Rasner during their Prison City Fight League bout when he kneeled down and tapped out, signaling his submission and forcing the referee to step in and hand the win to his opponent Rasner.
    According to statements given to Axs TV, Pantangco began to feel sympathy for his opponent and so he opted out of the fight.
    "I just feel that there's no point in fighting him because he didn't train against me and I didn't train for him and I just feel like we're amateur fighters. We don't get money. We don't get paid," said Pantangco in a heavy accent.
    "And I know that the only thing [that'd happen] is him to go to the hospital or get hurt. I just feel terrible so I'm just going to give him the win."
    Watch highlights of the fight below and let us know what you think in the comments section.
    Do you agree with Pantangco's decision to give up rather than attempt to finish his opponent or do you think it was bizarre behavior?

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mm...205232432.html

Great sportsmanship I think.

"He's not a fighter."

I guess it's good sportsmanship. I know if I was the other fighter though I would be offended in a way. If he really didn't want to bust him up on the feet maybe he could have went to the mat and submitted him instead?
    Legalize MMA in New York

Because it's an amateur bout i think it's a sign of good sportmanship. Had it been a professional bout i think Pontangco would have kept going until the other guy was knocked out or the ref stopped the fight. But since it's an amateur bout where there is literally nothing on the line i think he did the right thing.

personally I feel this is very disrespectful. Am / pro both guys signed up to fight so fight to the finish. I would not win a fight like that. if you can finish me finish is me. It is the Ref, Coaches and doctors job to stop a fight not a fighters. Also what if the kid that was losing hit the other kid with a comeback flash KO or sub and won the fight anways?

1st Degree Black Belt American Kickboxing
    Belt: 2010 W.K.K.O U.S. Tournament Runner Up 132lbs.
    Silver Medal: 2011 W.K.A North American Tournament Runner Up 141lbs

On one side I think it was great, because he was beating the hell out of his opponent and nothing was on the line anyway.

On the other side, I agree that he could have taken the fight to the ground and submit him (however who knows, maybe his opponent in paper was very good in the ground).

I think it was humiliating for his opponent, because it is probably better to lose rather than "win" in that way. But hopefully he learns from this fight and improves.

BTW that Mike guy showed some really great stuff for being an amateur. Very good technique.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Sportsmanship is a good thing... will it make any difference down the road if he decides to turn pro? I don't think so... it's good that he thinks of safety...

dude did the right thing, his opponent was not ready for competition. amateur fights need better organization and oversight, no one gains from lopsided matchups.

Quote Originally Posted by Leucoethiops View Post
    "He's not a fighter."
    Nope he's a Martial Artist.
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Work on your grappling.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information