Thread: Bellator signs Sokoudjou, announces Curran vs. Pitbull rematch is off due to injury

Default Bellator signs Sokoudjou, announces Curran vs. Pitbull rematch is off due to injury

Bellator signs Sokoudjou, announces Curran vs. Pitbull rematch is off due to injury

By Mookie Alexander @mookiealexander on May 22 2014, 4:10p
    Bellator 121 has lost its highly anticipated main event but gains the promotional debut of Sokoudjou.Another Bellator champion is out with an injury, as featherweight belt-holderPat Curran has been forced to withdraw from his rematch with Patricio Freire after he strained his right calf muscle. A Bellator press release confirmed the news late last night, leaving the June 6th "Summer Series" card without a main event.
    Curran (20-5) defeated Pitbull last year in a thrilling split decision victory, but after defending his title against Shahbuhlat Shamhalaev he lost in an upset to Daniel Straus atBellator 106. He recaptured the championship in March by choking out Straus with 14 seconds left in the final round. Freire (21-2) blasted through the season 9 FW tourney, but he's been highly vocal of Bellator after they skipped over giving him his rematch to do Straus vs. Curran.
    It's certainly a downer for fight fans as these two put forth a great battle last year, and Curran has become the 3rd different injured Bellator champion (joining Eduardo Dantas and Eddie Alvarez) in the past month.
    As Bellator looks for a new main event for it's first post-PPV card, today they announced the signing of the one and only Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou. The 30-year-old (14-12) has lost his last 2 fights by KO to relative unknowns in Russia, and has lost 4 of his last 6. At the height of his career, Sokoudjou KO'd Antonio Rogerio Nogueira and Ricardo Arona in PRIDE, parlaying that into a (failed) stint in the UFC. Since his 2008 release, Sokoudjou has hopped around the globe, but hasn't competed in the US since 2010. He will debut against an opponent TBD at Bellator 121.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/5/22...h-off-mma-news
    Follow the link for the entire article.

Tito/Soku
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Bellator should sign Arona. Dangling a rematch with Sokoudjou in front of him would be a bonus for him to knock off the excuses, get in shape and fight. If that worked out, they could talk a rampage rematch, too.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

I was about to make a "counting down 'til they sign Arona" joke, but honestly, if he hasn't come back after the injuries to make semi-big money with ZUFFA, all these years later I just don't see him ever coming back.

Arona is just not interested in MMA anymore. And even if he comes back, he will obviously not be the same he was 10 years ago.

As for Sokoudjou, he made a big impact in Pride, but since then, he has been extremely irregular. His biggest win after Pride is probably Kazuhiro Nakamura, 6 years ago.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    Arona is just not interested in MMA anymore. And even if he comes back, he will obviously not be the same he was 10 years ago.

As for Sokoudjou, he made a big impact in Pride, but since then, he has been extremely irregular. His biggest win after Pride is probably Kazuhiro Nakamura, 6 years ago.
    all he is really known for is the two wins in pride and falling short every other place

signing these former pride and ufc fighters is risky, but can draw eyeballs. And if you have hungry fighters who can beat them, it rises their stock a bit. I think Bellator is a shark tank, in many of their divisions. But Lightheavy seems to be a bit weak. They need to bring in some real killers for that division and put guys like Rampage and Tito to the test.
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

I won't be happy til a Houston Alexander rematch
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post

If he hasn't been training MMA it will have past him by this point. The fighters are so much better now then they were back in the Pride days.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    I was about to make a "counting down 'til they sign Arona" joke, but honestly, if he hasn't come back after the injuries to make semi-big money with ZUFFA, all these years later I just don't see him ever coming back.
    I thought he was complaining about zuffa low-balling him, along with Hellboy and a few other guys they should have picked up--and paid.

Quote Originally Posted by kalebarker View Post
    If he hasn't been training MMA it will have past him by this point. The fighters are so much better now then they were back in the Pride days.
    I don't think he'll be competitive overall. But if they were guaranteed as part of his signing, I bet he'd love those two rematches, and he can certainly match up well against either fighter. Two nice paydays, win or lose, and potential to parlay that into more if he's healthy and training. Obviously, that's a big "if..."

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Thread Information