Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Jorge Masvidal to take on Daron Cruickshank at UFC on Fox 12

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    18,849

    Default Jorge Masvidal to take on Daron Cruickshank at UFC on Fox 12

    Jorge Masvidal to take on Daron Cruickshank at UFC on Fox 12
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/5/22...shank-mma-news
    The Detroit Superstar gets his next step up the ladder against "Gamebred" Jorge Masvidal on July 26th.

    For many fans, Daron Cruickshank has already proven himself to be a much better fighter than they thought possible. The TUF: Live contestant has put together a 4-2 record in the UFC and his most recent win, a knockout of Erick Koch, was undeniably the biggest of his career. That said, if he beats Jorge Masvidal at UFC on Fox 12, Cruickshank will have made a claim as one of the world's top tier lightweights. Fox Sports first reported the matchup, and that the bout has been confirmed by the UFC.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,190

    Default

    Have been super impressed with Cruickshank's standup in his last few fights. That finshing sequence he put on Koch was a thing of beauty featuring multiple attacks, feints and level changes: including a faked punch to draw Koch's counter right-hook which created the opening for the left-high kick.

    I think this guy will actually look more dangerous as he faces higher calibre opposition: some of the setups he uses actually requires a decent level of striking knowledge on behalf of his opponent to work.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    'Merica
    Posts
    5,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goremire View Post
    Have been super impressed with Cruickshank's standup in his last few fights. That finshing sequence he put on Koch was a thing of beauty featuring multiple attacks, feints and level changes: including a faked punch to draw Koch's counter right-hook which created the opening for the left-high kick.
    That was a thing of beauty. Koch thought that right hook he was throwing was going to be a perfect counter to Cruickshank's punch and then BLAM he gets smoked with a kick to the face he never saw coming. Cruickhank set the trap and Koch fell right into it. I was super impressed when I saw the instant replay and saw everything slowed down.

    This is a tough fight for him though. Probably be about pick em odds.

    I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dbader08 View Post
    That was a thing of beauty. Koch thought that right hook he was throwing was going to be a perfect counter to Cruickshank's punch and then BLAM he gets smoked with a kick to the face he never saw coming. Cruickhank set the trap and Koch fell right into it. I was super impressed when I saw the instant replay and saw everything slowed down.

    This is a tough fight for him though. Probably be about pick em odds.
    Yep. Koch's counter was way short because he bit so hard on Cruickshank's faked left hook.

    What I found really interesting when I re-watched the fight is how the first time Cruickshank had exploded with combinations Koch had tried to back up and circle out and walked right into to body kick. The second time he tried to circle out and throw that counter hook and walked into the body kick again. It's like the third time he was determined to stay in the pocket and counter: big mistake.

    I agree Masvidal is a very tough test though. While he is a competent striker from what little I have seen of him he may want for take this to the ground where Cruickshank has looked very beatable.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,762

    Default

    Is Masvidal dropping down?

    He was just calling Nate Diaz out on his official Facebook yesterday, that doesn't sound like a bad match up either imo.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,190

    Default

    Dropping down to where? Cruickshank is at lightweight just like Masvidal...?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,284

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1inthechamber View Post
    Is Masvidal dropping down?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goremire View Post
    Dropping down to where? Cruickshank is at lightweight just like Masvidal...?
    He was just calling Nate Diaz out on his official Facebook yesterday, that doesn't sound like a bad match up either imo.
    He's a lightweight.. Diaz vs Masvidal would be sweet action! I'm torn on who to take on that one tho. Think Diaz would take it easily if it went to the ground, but in the stand up their boxing is about the same caliber with maybe a slight edge to Nate.

    This fight will definitely highlight and define where Cruickshank stands. Jorge Masvidal may not be top tier but he's no slouch at all, he's definitely a more game opponent than Erik Koch.

    I like this fight, I think it goes in Jorge's favor tho. If NOT toss the guy a top 5 and see what happens, he's going places.
    Last edited by HillbillyDeluxe; 05-24-2014 at 01:54 AM.
    "I leave this as a declaration of intent, so no one will get confused. 1: Si vis pacum para bellum. Latin. If you want peace, prepare for war. 2: Frank Castle is dead. He died with his family. 3: In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacies, it is necessary to act outside the law. To pursue natural justice. This isn't vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response. No, not vengeance. Punishment "

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyDeluxe View Post
    He's a lightweight.. Diaz vs Masvidal would be sweet action! I'm torn on who to take on that one tho. Think Diaz would take it easily if it went to the ground, but in the stand up their boxing is about the same caliber with maybe a slight edge to Nate.

    This fight will definitely highlight and define where Cruickshank stands. Jorge Masvidal may not be top tier but he's no slouch at all, he's definitely a more game opponent than Erik Koch.

    I like this fight, I think it goes in Jorge's favor tho. If NOT toss the guy a top 5 and see what happens, he's going places.
    So the Koch fight was at lightweight? Forgive my ignorance lol but wasn't Koch a fw?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Greater Toronto Area.
    Posts
    13,857

    Default

    Koch was an FW but felt as though he was giving up too much on the cut, so at his age(25) he and his people thought they could get the most optimized performances out of him at LW, honing his technical aspects etc.

    As for the Masvidal/Crux fight, I'm a big Masvidal fan and think that he'll make the fight uncomfortable for Cruickshank, won't allow him the time to really set up his strikes, put massive pressure on him along with massive output and can really make this a dirty clinch war and big brother Daron around. I've always said that Jorge's overall game was massively underrated and I think it's this type of fight where he'll be fighting somebody with a bit of hype and buzz coming off the Koch KO, that we'll se Masvidal really take it into another gear and pull off a nice 30-27.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    680

    Default

    Cruickshank's only real chance is that he's actually improving as much as his flashiness suggests. Personally I don't see it. Koch has always been easy to hit for decent strikers and Daron lost a decision to Makdessi and was finished by Adriano Martins while Masvidal has been competitive vs. all his opponents even top tier WWs. Anything under -250 would make Jorge a good bet imo.
    Talk is cheap...because supply exceeds demand.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •