Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything POST UFC 173

1. Default Everything POST UFC 173

T.J. Dillashaw vs. Renan Barao scorecards show UFC 173 dominance
    http://mmajunkie.com/2014/05/photo-t...-173-dominance

Which rematch for UFC champ T.J. Dillashaw? Renan Barao or Raphael Assuncao?
    http://mmajunkie.com/2014/05/which-r...phael-assuncao

Newly installed UFC bantamweight champion T.J. Dillashaw is likely to face a familiar foe in his first title defense. The question, of course, is which one?

Dillashaw pulled off one of the biggest championship upsets in MMA history in Saturday’s UFC 173 pay-per-view headliner. He upended long-reigning champion Renan Barao, who hadn’t lost a fight since 2005, with a fifth-round TKO.

But following the pay-per-view headliner at Las Vegas’ MGM Grand Garden Arena, the question was obvious: Who’s first up for the champ?

Is it Barao (32-2 MMA, 7-1 UFC), a top pound-for-pound fighter who looked simply outmatched on Saturday night, or Raphael Assuncao (22-4 MMA, 6-1 UFC), who scored a controversial split-decision win over Dillashaw (10-2 MMA, 6-2 UFC) back in October?

UFC President Dana White wasn’t ready to commit to either scenario, though he sees it as a win-win situation.

“I’d want to see both,” he told MMAjunkie when pressed after the event (watch the full post-event media scrum below). “(But) I’d want to see this rematch. Hell yeah, I’d want to see it. I’d want to see which Barao shows up for the next fight, and I think that’s a great fight.”
    Assuncao, in fact, was expected to fight Barao before Dillashaw did. However, Assuncao couldn’t accept the UFC 173 slot due to a rib injury, so Dillashaw stepped and upset Barao, who entered the fight a 10-1 favorite.

After the event, Assuncao told MMAjunkie he could be ready to fight the new champ in as little as a few months. He also said no other matchups make sense for him, and he wants the first shot at Dillashaw.

“I’ve got to get a set of X-rays and an MRI to see how the soft tissues are inside, and go from there,” Assuncao said. “I think in another eight weeks, I should be completely healed.”
    White, though, suggested he wants to capitalize on the Barao rematch immediately. While most observers (and the betting public) considered Dillashaw little more than a squash match for the long-dominant Barao, Team Alpha Male’s first UFC champ proved the Brazilian beatable. Perhaps the only thing Barao (and the 135-pound division as a whole) really needed was a good rivalry.

With Dillashaw and Barao, perhaps they finally have it, even if it means Assuncao has to wait a little longer.

“You start asking yourself, did [Barao] get caught up in the hype? Did he not take Dillashaw seriously? Did he not do this? Did he not do that,” White said. “Only he knows that. Only he knows the answer to that. I think he came out to fight the fight but got caught. When you get hit with the shot he got hit with, most people would have got knocked out with that shot. He kept fighting and showed lots of heart and durability.

“But good question: How does he bounce back from a loss like that? … We’re all going to see what Renan Barao is really made of.”
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

2. Default

TJ Dillashaw to remain at Team Alpha Male but will ‘cross train’ with Duane Ludwig during his fight camps
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/5/25...lpha-male-news

T.J. Dillashaw has no intentions of parting ways with his head coach Duane Ludwig.

The Team Alpha Male product produced the performance of a lifetime on Saturday night, as he dominated Renan Barao en route to a fifth round TKO stoppage to become the new undisputed bantamweight champion. It was a staggering performance from a challenger who initially stepped into the octagon as a 7-1 underdog.

While "Bang" Ludwig's coaching tactics have clearly influenced the entire fight team during his one-year stay with Team Alpha Male, Dillashaw marks the first ever UFC champion in the team, which is a testament to his abilities as a coach.

Dillashaw is aware of this and revealed at the post-fight press conference that he intends on cross training with Ludwig and "making the best of both worlds."

"I'm going to continue training with team Alpha Male," Dillashaw said at the post-fight press conference. "But I'm gonna cross train with Duane. I'll go out and train with him when I'm out of camp, and will fly him in when I'm in camp. I'm going to work with Duane. He'll be in my corner. I plan on getting my blackbelt under the guy. He is a genius.

"I think it is making the best of both worlds. A new coach will come in and will watch me from there and I'll be able to get training from Duane. I've got to stay with Team Alpha Male. They've got me where I'm at. Best sparring partners you can get at my weight class."

UFC Quick Quote: Joe Rogan tells TJ Dillashaw 'that was the greatest performance I have ever seen!'
    http://www.mmamania.com/2014/5/25/57...enan-barao-mma

That was one helluva' a show that T.J. Dillashaw put on last night, but was it the best evah?

"That was the greatest performance I have ever seen in my life!… You surpasses all expectations tonight with this performance. This was just … stunning…. This was incredible…. T.J., this is one of the finest performances I have ever seen. The best performance — I’ll say it right now — this is the most spectacular performance I have ever seen against a guy in Barao who is easily one of the best pound-for-pound fighters on the planet. Congratulations on just a masterful work tonight. It was an honor calling this fight. Thank you very much, brother."
    -- Over-the-top Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) color commentator, Joe Rogan, poured it on thick last night (Sat., May 24, 2014) in his post-fight interview with T.J. Dillashaw, who delivered the performance of a lifetime to upset dominant Bantamweight champion, Renan Barao, with a fifth-round technical knockout in UFC 173's main event. Even before the finish, Dillashaw was routing the Brazilian, who company president Dana White claimed was the clear-cut No. 2-ranked pound-for-pound fighter on the planet. Not anymore. Dillashaw -- who wasn't even the first choice to fight Barao (it was Raphael Assuncao) -- scored one of the biggest upsets in UFC championship history. It certainly wasn't on par with Matt Serra upending George St-Pierre or even Randy Couture turning back time at the expense of Tim Sylvia, but it was a memorable performance. But, the best ever? That's a debatable stretch ... even for the passionate Rogan.
    Last edited by Sakara=Excitement; 05-25-2014 at 11:16 AM.

3. Default

UFC 173 post-event bonuses: TJ Dillashaw pockets $100,000 for title-winning performance
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/5/25...0000-for-title

While UFC 173 arguably appeared to be an underwhelming Pay-Per-View on paper, it turned out to be an entertaining night of fights that featured a variety of compelling bouts and stoppages, including the unforeseen conclusion of the evening's main event.

T.J. Dillashaw undoubtedly stole the show on Saturday night. The Team Alpha Male product entered the octagon as a 7-1 underdog but produced the performance of a lifetime against champion Renan Barao en route to claiming the bantamweight title.

Not only did Dillashaw defy the odds and dominate every single round of the encounter, he remained aggressive late in the fifth round until he finally found his opening and finished the fatigued champion via TKO. Barao's loss is his first since 2005.

Mitch Clarke picked up his second straight victory in the UFC octagon when he choked out Al Iaquinta with a sneaky D'arce choke that forced the referee to step in and call of the fight. The slick submission earned the Edmonton native an extra $50, 000 for his efforts.

"I knew I had that D'Arce right away," Clarke said after the fight. "That's my money move."
    Fight of the Night: Renan Barao vs. TJ Dillashaw

Performance of the Night: TJ Dillashaw and Mitch Clarke

4. Default

Daniel Cormier wins at UFC 173, calls out Jon Jones
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-ca...041027351.html

Immediately after dominating and finishing former champion Dan Henderson on Saturday night at UFC 173, undefeated No. 1 light heavyweight contender Daniel Cormier called out rival and division champ Jon Jones.

"Jon Jones...you can't run away from me forever. I'm the kid in the wrestling tournament that is in your bracket...you'd better hurry because I'm getting better," Cormier shouted during his post-fight interview.

"I know no one can wrestle me so it doesn't matter. If I decide to take Jon Jones down 100 times, I will...this is my Octagon, I'm the man."
    From the start, Cormier was simply too much for the game legend "Hendo," slamming him to the ground and riding him on the ground with ease. In the third round, Cormier was once more on top of Henderson, as he had been most of the fight, when he transitioned from mount to the back and sunk in a rear naked choke.

Cormier flattened Henderson out on his belly while squeezing the choke. Henderson refused to submit and went out cold before the referee stepped in and called the fight.

When he came to, Henderson was classy and entertaining as always, giving Cormier credit for the win. "He's a heavy guy, got on top of me and just wore me out a little bit," Henderson said.

"I've never really noticed that much of a difference [in strength between he and other light heavyweights] before tonight...maybe I shouldn't have given him that chicken."

Henderson promised that he isn't done as an active fighter, despite turning 44 this summer and having lost four out of his last six fights. "I'm not done yet. I'm still going to compete," he said.

"I love this sport and I absolutely love the support you guys give me. I'm going to continue to do it until I can't."

DANIEL CORMIER: ‘I THINK I’VE EARNED A TITLE SHOT’ AT JON JONES AFTER UFC 173
    http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Dan...-UFC-173-68311

Daniel Cormier’s light heavyweight title aspirations have been no secret since he announced his drop to 205 pounds, and the two-time Olympian only reinforced his position with a dominant win over Dan Henderson in the UFC 173 co-headliner.

Now, Cormier has his sights set on UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones, and “DC” is willing to wait for a shot at the belt.

“I think I’ve earned a title shot. I’ve got five top-10 wins, and I’m undefeated,” Cormier said at the UFC 173 post-fight press conference. “I haven’t lost a round. I haven’t lost a fight in two weight classes. I won the Strikeforce grand prix. My resume speaks for itself.”
    Should the title picture become murky following Jones’ upcoming rematch with Alexander Gustafsson, however, Cormier said he will gladly prove himself once again against any light heavyweight in the UFC.

“I’m not saying I’m opposed to fighting. I’m just saying that after four years of what I’ve accomplished, I think I deserve a title shot,” said Cormier. “We’re going to talk, and if they come up with something good, I’ll fight. I’m not afraid of anybody. I can beat every one of these guys, so I’ll fight them all.”
    Cormier manhandled Henderson Saturday night, out-wrestling the Team Quest founder and punishing him with ground-and-pound for the majority of the three-round affair before putting the ex-Pride champ to sleep with a rear-naked choke.

“You can never underestimate a guy like Dan Henderson, but I just believe in my skill. It’s something I spent a lifetime accomplishing,” said Cormier. “When kids were hanging out at the lake at 16 [years old], I was overseas wrestling at the world championships. [Wrestling is] my sport. It’s what I’ve done my whole life, and I believe in it.”
    With four Octagon victories under his belt, Cormier will look toward UFC light heavyweight gold. Although the 35-year-old would no doubt accept a title shot no matter who owns the belt, “DC” would prefer to dethrone Jones if possible.

“I want to be the champion. That’s why I started fighting. We all praise Alexander Gustafsson for what he’s done. He’s a great fighter, but it means a little bit more to beat a Jon Jones,” said Cormier. “It’s like T.J. Dillashaw beating Renan Barao tonight, or Chris Weidman beating Anderson Silva. If anybody else was the champion, I don’t think it would have had the impact that it did. I would prefer for Jones to still be the champion.”
    Should Cormier find himself matched against “Bones” in his next fight, he is confident that he will walk away with the title, due in large part to his world-class wrestling pedigree. However, Cormier is also aware that such a result would certainly not come easily against a champion as proven as Jones.

“That’s a tough hill to climb. There’s no ‘just beating’ Jon Jones. I’d have to have my best performance, and knowing that I was fighting for the UFC title, I would train to have my best performance,” said Cormier. “Styles make fights, and I think I match up well with him. We haven’t really seen him on his back for an extended period of time. If I get on top of him, I think I can hold him down and get some offense off.”

Light Heavyweight Log Jam Causing Daniel Cormier to Wait for UFC Title Shot
    http://www.mmaweekly.com/light-heavy...ufc-title-shot

Daniel Cormier is next in line for a shot at the UFC light heavyweight title, but he’ll have to wait until Alexander Gustafsson takes his turn.

With his win over Dan Henderson at UFC 173 on Saturday night, Cormier earned the next shot at the belt. The only problem Cormier will run into is having to wait several months because champion Jon Jones will likely defend the belt against Gustafsson first this summer.

“These things happen,” Dana White said, answering questions about formidable No. 1 contenders. “Sometimes there are log jams in these divisions. Cormier’s awesome, he looked unbelievable. How about he’s done this in two weight classes with heavyweight and light heavyweight?

“But there’s no denying that Gustafsson deserves this rematch. So Cormier’s in line, he’s going to have to wait.”
    As many fight fans recall, Jones and Gustafsson fought a memorable match at UFC 165 that saw Jones get bloodied and bruised by the challenger. Jones won the bout by unanimous decision, but many felt Gustafsson should have been awarded the win, causing call for an immediate rematch.

Gustafsson instead fought Jimi Manuwa, picking up a win and earning another shot at the title.

Cormier has been calling out Jones for months, drawing attention and intrigue towards a potential match-up between the 205-pound champ and the former Olympian.

White confirmed an earlier report that said Gustafsson signed a bout agreement to face Jones at UFC 177 on Aug. 30 in Las Vegas. Jones has yet to sign the bout agreement.
    Last edited by Sakara=Excitement; 05-25-2014 at 11:15 AM.

5. Default

T.J. DILLASHAW ON UFC 173 VICTORY: I KNEW I HAD TO APPLY PRESSURE TO BEAT BARAO
    http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/TJ-...at-Barao-68309

T.J. Dillashaw just shook up the MMA world.

Listed as a 7-to-1 underdog by some bookmakers, Dillashaw was given little chance of besting bantamweight king Renan Barao in their UFC 173 headliner. If Dillashaw was affected by that collective lack of faith, he certainly did not show it on Saturday night, as he ripped through the highly regarded Brazilian to become the newest UFC champion.

Saturday’s situation was a familiar one for Dillashaw’s camp, Team Alpha Male, as founder Urijah Faber had twice come up short against Barao in title opportunities. However, lightning would not strike three times for the Nova Uniao rep, as Faber’s protégé succeeded where “The California Kid” had failed.

Dillashaw took control of the bout from the jump, using deft footwork and feints that made it difficult for Barao to find his rhythm. Late in round one, Dillashaw hauled off and clocked the champion, planting Barao on the deck with a massive overhand right.

“I didn’t really see it [at the end] of the first round, but coming out for the second, I could see the look in his eyes and tell that I maybe had him [broken],” said Dillashaw. “Especially after the second round, I just knew I had it. After I walked through the second round and felt awesome, I knew I had it. I could see it in his eyes.”
    For the next three rounds, Dillashaw stayed one step ahead of the champion, who had not been defeated in more than nine years prior to his loss on Saturday night. Darting in and out of range while rifling off three- and four-punch combinations, Dillashaw constantly kept Barao on his heels, lighting up the Brazilian from all angles and continually finding his mark with a left high kick.

“The plan was to move my feet a lot, switch my stance up, use angles and just be the faster athlete tonight. After that, it was just [about] flow,” said Dillashaw. “I did what I drilled in camp and what Duane [Ludwig] told me to do, and I just reacted. The plan was to take him down when need be, and I didn’t feel I needed to.”
    As sharp as he looked through four rounds, Dillashaw saved his best for last, wrapping his left shin around Barao’s dome midway through the final frame. The Team Alpha Male rep eagerly pursued his unsteady foe, further hurting him with a crisp flurry of punches and then dropping him to the canvas with a solid left hook. Violent ground-and-pound would follow, prompting referee Herb Dean to wave of the contest and declare Dillashaw the new UFC bantamweight king.

“I train to fight five-round fights, even for my three-round fights. I’m a very well-conditioned athlete, and I knew I had to keep pressure [on him] the entire time,” said Dillashaw. “I’m an aggressive fighter. That’s when I’m at my best, when I’m moving my feet and not staying in front of [my opponent].”

UFC 173 post-fight press conference video
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/5/25...nference-video

Dana White UFC 173 post-fight scrum video
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/5/25...ht-scrum-video
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

7. Default

ugh, Dana already calling for an immediate rematch? Im pretty sick of that concept already, thanks.

Is there any word on whether Jake broke his hand?
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Was last night great or what? Prelims were pretty good but the main card was on a downward slope to being at least a slight if not major letdown and then the ME. Made me jump out of my seat and stand the rest of the fight just like I did for Couture/Sylvia only this time a fighter I don't even particularly care for trumped that performance and even finished. Just incredible.
    Talk is cheap...because supply exceeds demand.

Yea, I'm not feeling an immediate rematch.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

Thread Information