Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barao wants Dillashaw, Dillashaw wants Cruz, Assuncao wants Dillashaw

1. Default Barao wants Dillashaw, Dillashaw wants Cruz, Assuncao wants Dillashaw

Pederneiras: Let’s see if TJ Dillashaw is man enough to fight Renan Barao in Brazil
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/5/26...in-brazil-news

"The ideal would be bringing this fight to Brazil," he said. "There's going to be a big event here in Brazil, apparently in October in Rio de Janeiro. Let's see is these guys are man enough to fight Barao in his house."

UFC: Ludwig doesn't think Barao will get an immediate rematch
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/5/26...atch-dillishaw

I guess in some contracts, they have immediate rematch clauses, but I don't know about T.J.'s, nor can I comment on it because that stuff is confidential. I don't think it's fair for Barao to get an immediate rematch. That fight wasn't even close, but then, who else is T.J. going to fight? Who is the Number 1 contender? It's still Barao. I know he's gonna need some time to recover, so I doubt he'll be the next guy to challenge for the belt.

Dillashaw Talks Next Fight, Which Might Be Ex-UFC Champ
    http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2014/05/...-ex-ufc-champ/

Another possible future opponent, former champion Dominick Cruz, is someone Dillashaw has looked up to in the sport and a person he would welcome as a foe.

“Hopefully, he can make a comeback,” Dillashaw said. “He was a great champion. He was a champion when I first started fighting that I looked up to and it would be an honor to fight that guy.”

With One Win Already On Resume, Assuncao Wants Dillashaw Next
    http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2014/05/...illashaw-next/

Assuncao (22-4) is 6-1 inside the Octagon, including five consecutive wins. He defeated Pedro Munhoz this past February after the Dillashaw win last October.

Since a 2011 loss to Erik Koch, he’s topped Johnny Eduardo, Issei Tamura, Mike Easton and Vaughan Lee, with two of those coming by finishes.

In seeing what Dillashaw did to defeat Barao, Assuncao stated that was what he had in mind, adding, “It was a similar strategy. Me and T.J. already fought and I would love to fight him again.”
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Dillashaw vs. Assuncao 2
    Barao vs. Mizugaki for the next shot.
    Cruz vs. McDonald for when Dominick can return.

If everyone is healthy, this could work. Maybe?

Edit: I just realized Dillashaw is the first runner up of TUF to win a UFC title. I feel dumb.
    Last edited by CA_Gas Bag; 05-26-2014 at 06:24 PM.

I'd like to see Barao get the rematch... but not IMMEDIATELY.

And here's why:

It occurred to me that this loss to Dillashaw is just about the best thing that could happen to Barao.

Here's a guy who is one of the most dominant champions in MMA history... and most people wouldn't recognize him if they passed him on the street! Ask random folks who Renan Barao is... and most would have NO clue!
    I suspect that he was EASILY the lowest paid champion on the UFC roster.
    And it seemed like no one could figure out how to change that.

Along comes Dillashaw.

IF Barao had won... it would be another title defense. No big deal. Nothing changed.
    But now that he lost... he has the excitement of a Rematch on the horizon.
    All of a sudden guys are wondering how he'll perform in his next fight... after going SO long without losing. How will it affect him?
    What would happen if he and TJ met again??!

All of a sudden you have all this interest around a guy who, let's face it... no one was that interested in.

Which is really a great thing... since I often thought Barao kinda got the short end of the stick... never getting paid what a Champ should... never getting the respect that he should.

If he can come back and win and set up a rematch... well... it's pay day time for Barao.

Just my two cents.

No immediate rematch. It would be stupid. I only like to see an immediate rematch if its a close fight, or a dominant champion gets a flash (some say fluke) KO on him in like the first round. This was utter domination, bell to bell, and shouldn't warrant a rematch, no matter how many wins Barao had in a row.

Another reason is it would kill the chance of another fight between them, without giving Barao time to learn, improve and evolve. IF they did it, and TJ won again, Barao would have to change divisions because nobody gets a third shot against the same champ (I can't even think of one that has lost twice and got a third title fight against the same champ). Maybe that's good though, I'd like to see Barao move up or down, moreso down to fight Mighty Mouse if he could drop the weight and win a fight there.

I like the idea of it being a tournament of sorts, with Dillashaw, Assuncao, Cruz and Barao, as long as Barao/Dillshaw isn't first. I think the Cruz/Barao fight would be a good plan, as they were booked to fight anyway.

All in all, it gives the ufc a marketable champ, a great fight in that division, and new challengers. Before this fight I personally wasn't too interested in the division, just seemed like Barao beats everyone and it was thin, kinda how WW looked when GSP was on top. Now the oportunities are wide open for fights, and they build 2 stars with that fight. And I'm interested. If only the same thing could happen in the paperweight (fly) division,

Dillashaw vs. Cruz vs. Barao vs. Assuncao fatal four way elimination!

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    Dillashaw vs. Cruz vs. Barao vs. Assuncao fatal four way elimination!
    With none other than Urijah Faber as special guest referee

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Dirten View Post
    I'd like to see Barao get the rematch... but not IMMEDIATELY.

And here's why:

It occurred to me that this loss to Dillashaw is just about the best thing that could happen to Barao.

Here's a guy who is one of the most dominant champions in MMA history... and most people wouldn't recognize him if they passed him on the street! Ask random folks who Renan Barao is... and most would have NO clue!
    I suspect that he was EASILY the lowest paid champion on the UFC roster.
    And it seemed like no one could figure out how to change that.

Along comes Dillashaw.

IF Barao had won... it would be another title defense. No big deal. Nothing changed.
    But now that he lost... he has the excitement of a Rematch on the horizon.
    All of a sudden guys are wondering how he'll perform in his next fight... after going SO long without losing. How will it affect him?
    What would happen if he and TJ met again??!

All of a sudden you have all this interest around a guy who, let's face it... no one was that interested in.

Which is really a great thing... since I often thought Barao kinda got the short end of the stick... never getting paid what a Champ should... never getting the respect that he should.

If he can come back and win and set up a rematch... well... it's pay day time for Barao.

Just my two cents.
    I agree. This is the best thing that happened for the UFC. If Barao went through Dillashaw, Barao would still not be well known and keep continuing to fly under the radar even if he was champion. Now that it is getting touted as the "biggest upset in UFC history", this has the potential to turn them both into stars.

It would be so much better if this was not an immediate rematch. If Dillashaw can perform the same way in his next fight (let's say against Assuncao) and Renan can blow through his next opponent (let's say Mizugaki), then it really helps build the fight. It would be similar to Jones/Gustafsson who both performed really well in their last fight respectively.

Tables, ladders, and Chairs. First man who captures the briefcase wins.....
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

The fight was so decisive. I can't imagine Barao ever beating TJ. He's met his kryptonite.
    ROCK...CHALK...JAYHAWK

Quote Originally Posted by grambino View Post
    The fight was so decisive. I can't imagine Barao ever beating TJ. He's met his kryptonite.
    So was Couture-Liddell 1. Fighters at times are able to strategize differently. Barao is an excellent fighter; he can turn this into a grappling match and potentially make the fight go differently.

However, I do agree that an immediate rematch should not take place here given that he was beaten so decisively and he was not a long-time reigning champion either. Each should have one more fight before a rematch happens. But we all know that an immediate rematch will likely happen as [1] UFC would be eager to build a rivalry in a not-so-popular division; [2] Assuncao and Cruz are still injured who would be the first two clear choices;[3] Faber isn't going to fight Dillashaw and just recently lost his chance; and [4] McDonald and Wineland just recently lost their fights as well. This pretty much only leaves Mizugaki or a Barao rematch unless they wait for Assuncao.

Thread Information