Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: UFC on Fox (July 26th) Main Event: Robbie Lawler vs Matt Brown.

Brown, Lawler, Johnson, Lil Nog, Thompson, Bermudez, Cruckshank all on the same card you say?

For free you say?

Me likee. I would pay for this card without hesitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    I'm sure getting paid 100k + a fight also doesn't hurt.
    Only if his wallet throws his hip out of alignment.

Your point actually is what blows my mind about a guy like Diaz. He stays in good shape all year, and bitches about money. Why not take good match ups, every freaking chance you get? If I was only interested in money, I would take every fight that I thought I could get through without taking a ton of damage. Wash, rinse, repeat every 3-4 months.
    USA! USA! USA!

Quote Originally Posted by Goremire View Post
    Brown, Lawler, Johnson, Lil Nog, Thompson, Bermudez, Cruckshank all on the same card you say?

For free you say?

Me likee. I would pay for this card without hesitation.
    Very nervous about Diet Nog and Thomson's ability to stay healthy. But man, if this plays out, it's as good as any PPV in my mind.

My best guess is that the Dana's throwing Lawler a bone here. An easy payday and an opportunity to get a highlight reel KO against a massively overmatched opponent and secure another title fight. Props to the Dana for taking care of Lawler and quelling the ridiculous notion of Brown being a contender in one fell swoop.
    ROCK...CHALK...JAYHAWK

Quote Originally Posted by grambino View Post
    My best guess is that the Dana's throwing Lawler a bone here. An easy payday and an opportunity to get a highlight reel KO against a massively overmatched opponent and secure another title fight. Props to the Dana for taking care of Lawler and quelling the ridiculous notion of Brown being a contender in one fell swoop.
    He has 7 fucking straight UFC wins. What in the fuck does the man have to do to shed whatever label he had before the streak?
    USA! USA! USA!

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    He has 7 fucking straight UFC wins. What in the fuck does the man have to do to shed whatever label he had before the streak?
    beat someone in the top 10

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    100%

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    How does no one see that there is a serious problem with the system, that a guy like Brown, or anybody, has to put together this many wins to get a top 10 fight?! I like Sonnen. I hate Diaz. Neither one deserved the shots they got. Freaking Matt Brown is having to put in way more work than either of them, to get a fight that could lead to a fight that could lead to a fight that could lead to a title fight. How is everyone OK with being a fan of an organization where one guy has to win at least 8 fights to get a title fight, but another guy can get a shot based on being entertaining, and having 1 win or maybe even a -1 win streak? How is that OK?!?! I get that it is a business, but it is a business based in the sports world, and in the sports world if you win a bunch then you get to play for titles. In the sports world there is a clear path to the title. Take the NFL. The Bills generally are average to below average. A non-Bills fan doesn't give two shits about them, but if they win their division, and the appropriate amount of playoff games, then they are going to the Super Bowl. The NFL isn't gonna throw a couple extra playoff games at them just because the fans aren't adequately excited enough for their championship appearance. Will the NFL be happy about it? He'll no, but they won't pull them in favor of the Broncos or Cowboys, because they are more popular. The UFC system sucks.

Wanna compare it to boxing, and their rankings system? How's that working out for the popularity of the sport?

Wanna compare Matt Brown to a NCAA team with a cake schedule? College football fans go on this exact same rank, all the time.

The problem is that the UFC keeps trying to push their money makers without doing enough to credit their up and comers. I mean they do credit some up and comers, but they have to crown you as the future beforehand, or you will never get the recognition you deserve. They can't adapt to guys "coming out of nowhere". That's all just my opinion, but I feel strongly about it, because I love MMA, and this is a dangerous path. What do you do when the term "super fight" doesn't mean shit, because everybody is sick of hearing it, and they think all of your super fighters have retired?
    USA! USA! USA!

i would argue a bad sequence of events is why he hasnt had a top 10 guy, not the UFCs fault. They had him lined up against Hardy, Alvez and Condit at different times during his win streak and the fighters were scrapped due to injury one way or the other.

I would also still argue he would need a top 10 win inside the WW division with the murders row of killers that division has all of a sudden.

Thread Information