Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: UFC on Fox (July 26th) Main Event: Robbie Lawler vs Matt Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    i would argue a bad sequence of events is why he hasnt had a top 10 guy, not the UFCs fault. They had him lined up against Hardy, Alvez and Condit at different times during his win streak and the fighters were scrapped due to injury one way or the other.

I would also still argue he would need a top 10 win inside the WW division with the murders row of killers that division has all of a sudden.
    That's still the UFC's fault, because it is their job. He fights, they make sure that the whole setting up of the fights thing is done correctly. He wouldn't get a pass if some complications came up in his training that affected his performance. Why do they get a pass? It is called the top 10, as in there are 10 of them. You can't tell me that they don't suck at their jobs for not finding 1 out of 10 guys to fight him 2-3 fights ago. They screw up a ton, and never catch enough shit for it. They are a premier organization, and should function as such. How many PPVs have blown or even been scrapped, because they couldn't competently overcome one freaking problem?
    Big Hairy American Winning Machine

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    He has 7 fucking straight UFC wins. What in the fuck does the man have to do to shed whatever label he had before the streak?
    I don't have a problem with Brown. I like fighters and he's a real fighter, no pretense. I just feel the #5 ranking and #1 contender opportunity are flawed. Seven wins against a list of who's that doesn't even come close to rectifying 11 losses. He doesn't have a single signature win. Every person in the top 10 deserves this fight more than he does. Regardless of recent losses or not because they all would beat his last seven as well. The reason they have losses is due to fighting quality fighters.

He's earned a shot against a fringe top ten at this point. Instead the Dana is ass pounding every fighter in the division who's doing it right. No lube either. The model for a #1 contender fight can't be going 12-11, losing to every decent fighter you fight, then fight 7 guys outside the top 15 to leap frog numerous true contenders.

Congratulations to Matt though. It doesn't matter what the friek I think anyway, I'm a nobody trying to apply common sense when I already know there's a history no sense match making in the UFC. So while I hate the idea of how the fight came to be, I'll sure as hell be tuning in!
    ROCK...CHALK...JAYHAWK

Quote Originally Posted by grambino View Post
    I don't have a problem with Brown. I like fighters and he's a real fighter, no pretense. I just feel the #5 ranking and #1 contender opportunity are flawed. Seven wins against a list of who's that doesn't even come close to rectifying 11 losses. He doesn't have a single signature win. Every person in the top 10 deserves this fight more than he does. Regardless of recent losses or not because they all would beat his last seven as well. The reason they have losses is due to fighting quality fighters.

He's earned a shot against a fringe top ten at this point. Instead the Dana is ass pounding every fighter in the division who's doing it right. No lube either. The model for a #1 contender fight can't be going 12-11, losing to every decent fighter you fight, then fight 7 guys outside the top 15 to leap frog numerous true contenders.

Congratulations to Matt though. It doesn't matter what the friek I think anyway, I'm a nobody trying to apply common sense when I already know there's a history no sense match making in the UFC. So while I hate the idea of how the fight came to be, I'll sure as hell be tuning in!
    The thing is that this is how it should have went, and should go to even the lowest of the low.

1st win of the streak- Brown was about to get cut. He should have fought somebody else that was about to get cut, or a newcomer.

2nd win of the streak- He should have been fighting either somebody else that had also recently ended their losing streak, a new guy that had won their debut, or a guy that was ranked top 15 but is on a losing streak.

3rd win of the streak- This is the turning point to me. This is the point where it is decided if the guy is on a legit streak or if he's just a guy that wins a few, and then loses a few. He should have been fighting a top 15 guy, or a young guy that is really making some waves.

4th win of the streak- The guy is on a 3 fight streak. He should be fighting in the 8-11th ranked guy range.

5th win of the streak- 4 wins including a fringe top 10 win. This is where title talks begin. He should be fighting the 1-7 guy.

6th win of the streak- if the last fight was against a top 3 guy, and there isn't a monsterous traffic jam up top, then this should be his title fight. If his last fight was in the 4-7 range, then he should be guaranteed a title shot with a win here, and this fight should be against a top 5 guy.

7th win of the streak- Nobody should get to this many wins, all in the same weight class, without a title shot.

All of this could be fixed with better planning on the UFC's part, a real rankings set up that matters, and more consistent title defenses.
    Last edited by The Donosaur; 05-28-2014 at 11:08 AM.
    Big Hairy American Winning Machine

Thread Information