Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Report: Bellator 120 PPV buys estimated at 65,000 for 'Rampage vs. King Mo'

Default Report: Bellator 120 PPV buys estimated at 65,000 for 'Rampage vs. King Mo'

http://www.mmamania.com/2014/5/27/57...vs-king-mo-mma

Bellator MMA finally made its pay-per-view (PPV) debut with "Rampage vs. King Mo," which took place back on May 17, 2014, inside Landers Center in Southaven, Mississippi (results). It was a card the promotion asked you to pay anywhere from $35-$50 for, depending on your location and PPV provider.

So, how many fight fans opened their wallets?

According to Dave Meltzer (via Fight Opinion), Bellator pulled in roughly 65,000 PPV buys, which is above the 50,000 number thought to be the "break even" mark. Keep in mind this is also a card that lost the Eddie Alvarez vs. Michael Chandler trilogy when Alvarez got hurt and was forced to withdraw.

That left the light heavyweight contest between Quinton Jackson and Muhammed Lawal -- as well as the freak show fight pitting Tito Ortiz against Alexander Villechaize Shlemenko -- to carry the card, which had a strong lead-in from its Spike TV "Prelims," featuring Cheick Kongo and Marcin Held, among others.

Now what?

Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney has already threatened promised to air another PPV event when the time -- and the roster -- is right, which could become more difficult after Will Brooks upset Chandler earlier this month. which put "Alvarez vs. Chandler 3" on ice for the foreseeable future.
    Well I guess that's successful if they only needed 50,000 buys to break even but as much as I hate Dana he was right about this card. UFC 1 outsold this card by 20,000 buys.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Swing and a miss...
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

3. Default

Do you want to see my sarcastic shocked face?

There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

From what I've heard, this is far from a disaster given their projections. It won't make them money, but they aren't dying from these numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Lower than the first Affliction PPV for whatever that's worth.
    Difference is, Bellator & Viacom do not need huge PPV #s to be a successful model for Spike. Affliction was all PPV and needed PPV buys to succeed. Bellator seems to have gotten into the PPV style to further brand their product which will increase sponsorship revenues and the such.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Lower than the first Affliction PPV for whatever that's worth.
    Affliction put on amazing hw bouts at the time, but they also needed huge numbers because they were paying their fighters a ridiculous amount of money.

Not a bad first outing, considering that they lost their main event. I expected it to be much worse.
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

My understanding is that no one thought they could even come close to 100k. So this is either in line or slightly exceeding expectations, which is generally fine for a business.

Now can they stop showing PPVs, have smaller tournaments, and skip the wrasseling theatrics?!

LOL, I read that as 650K and was wondering what the heck you were all talking about. Good thing I double checked before writing a long post that would only serve to make me look like an idiot.

I enjoyed the PPV and would order their next one as well however, I think I'd rather see them stay away from PPV's until they are much bigger.
    My Favorite Fighters

1)Gray Maynard 2)Dan Henderson 3)Minotauro Nogueira 4)Wanderlei Silva 5)Roy Nelson 6)Tim Boetsch 7)Mark Hunt 8)Shogun Rua 9)Lyoto Machida 10) Connor McGregor

Thread Information