Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UFC institutes medical/criminal background checks

Default UFC institutes medical/criminal background checks

UFC institutes medical/criminal background checks
    This week the UFC distributed a new questionnaire to all it's athlete's on it's roster to help them further look into any potential issues in the future:

A questionnaire circulated this past week to managers asks UFC contractees to release personal information for background checks, according to a copy of the document obtained by MMAjunkie. Fighters are asked to detail their medical history, as well as educational and criminal backgrounds.

Notably, they are also asked to waive doctor/patient confidentiality, which would allow them to discuss any potential medical issues directly with healthcare providers.

Both new and existing fighters are required to fill out the questionnaire, according to multiple managers, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not allowed to discuss the UFC’s internal policies.

“Zuffa LLC requires its contracted fighters to act in a legal and responsible manner and avoid conduct detrimental to the integrity of the UFC organization,” wrote Michael Mersch, UFC senior vice president of business and legal Affairs and assistant general counsel, in a letter attached to the document. “As the UFC’s highest profile independent contractors and as ambassadors of the sport of mixed martial arts, UFC fighters are held to a high standard by Zuffa, the media and the public.

“It is important for Zuffa to be fully informed of your background in order to evaluate and potentially assist on matter that may be detrimental to the integrity of the UFC organization.”

*About time...
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

It boggles my mind they wouldn't do that before they signed a fighter.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

Here come multiple Chris Cope esque cuts...
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

I wonder if the contracts allow for them to institute this post-signing or if they will slowly weed out the individuals who refuse to release certain confidential matters.

This could get very sticky for either party.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    Here come multiple Chris Cope esque cuts...
    ^^ This. I could see them cutting some of the lesser known guys, but keep guys they like like Jeremy Stephens. I'm not so sure if this would make a whole lot of difference, seeing as how there have been many fighters already under contract get criminal records and nothing happen.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

The thing is it doesn't necessarily mean they will do anything. I have a feeling there will still be some judgement involved when it comes to criminal checks.

Wonder if they'll do a simple web search or oversight this one:
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2009/07/1...estic-violence

Vetting doesn't really seem to be their thing but realistically, they normally have selective perception on what they want to address and things that as Dana says are "non-issues". Overeem has had a few legal run-ins, Chael's had his issues, Jones can't drive for shit, Stephens is a noted scumbag, Cummings didn't seem all too vetted for the Cormier fight given his past, Caraway elbowed a broad in the back of the head and McCall is a bit of a train wreck for a whole sort of reasons....Don't think they'll be touched(well, Caraway was never charged or anything, but the Zigano thing was pretty shitty)

8. Default

Well there goes my chances.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Well there goes my chances.
    Which would be sad IMO.

I know for a fact boxing has saved a lot of guys after stints in the joint and I'm sure martial arts has been instrumental as well. I would hope they at least attempt to mimic some governing bodies' rules on prior convictions.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

So if you have a criminal record you might not get access to the UFC? Am i the only one who thinks that is a slippery slope? So much of a grey area on what is okay in the UFC's mind and what is not okay.

As FG posted, is domestic assault okay (in anthony Johnson`s case) but something else not be - say robbery, or having a stand off with a gun like Thiago Silva not being okay. It just doesnt make sense to me and can cause sooo many problems down the road.
    Last edited by BonesKnows; 05-28-2014 at 04:13 PM.

Thread Information