Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jose Aldo: Certainly I feel underpaid

Default Jose Aldo: Certainly I feel underpaid

Jose Aldo: Certainly I feel underpaid
    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...eel-underpaid/

ESPN.com.br: Recently, Renan Barao claimed he was underpaid (Note: Barao later said he was misunderstood). Do you, Aldo, feel underpaid by the UFC?

Jose Aldo: Certainly I feel underpaid. Talking in numbers is difficult. A fighter dreams of reaching a level where he makes good money. Today I have other thoughts, I have been around the world, I have great insight into this. At the same time that they give business to us, they could improve (pay). We bring millions to the organization's events. I'm a very marketable fighter, and everyone likes to see me fight .

We see a lightweight being paid the same as a beginner. We see a heavyweight non-champion and non-title challenger earning a lot more than us. This situation makes us a little sad, but I have to keep fighting - we can't lose our focus.

ESPN: And what do you think you need to do to convince Dana to give you a raise?

JA: I do not know, man. We kill ourselves in training, we give the best of us to get out there and give a great show, break records for the UFC. We give the maximum, but do not have that due recognition. Now, I do not know what to do, do I need to get inside the cage and kill my opponent? I do not know.

ESPN: Are Americans favored in salary negotiations?

JA: I do not know. I feel that it can be bad for me, Barao, Anderson, that we are not fluent in English. What matters during a fight is how we fight, not language. We have to negotiate; Dede takes care of that. I'm there to give people what they want to see.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Aldo's been terribly marketed... This probably won't help his cause.

So he doesn't blame his manager when he is saying he is under paid, but when questioned further it's "I don't know, man. My manager takes care of that stuff.". I hate when people come close to saying how they feel, and then snap back into PC land. I think he should get more money, but acting weird about it isn't going to make it happen.

Pick out the reason why you think you are getting screwed over, and confront it.
    USA! USA! USA!

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    So he doesn't blame his manager when he is saying he is under paid, but when questioned further it's "I don't know, man. My manager takes care of that stuff.". I hate when people come close to saying how they feel, and then snap back into PC land. I think he should get more money, but acting weird about it isn't going to make it happen.

Pick out the reason why you think you are getting screwed over, and confront it.
    Not wanting to throw you manager under the bus isn't "PC land".
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Not wanting to throw you manager under the bus isn't "PC land".
    Pipe down hippie.

What can you do? How about talk to your boss first instead of the media. Dana never reacts well to these things.

move one's bowels to a chicken coop. Kill chickens and pick up feathers. They blow the whistle on for 10 ea on forums. Also bury the bones you find.

Quote Originally Posted by Leucoethiops View Post
    Aldo's been terribly marketed... This probably won't help his cause.
    Yeah its unbelievable how well they were able to market Faber but not Aldo when the UFC is much more mainstream than WEC was when Faber was champ.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

It's been said quite a bit recently, but man has the UFC missed the boat on marketing this guy!

He has a viscous standup fighting style, with tons of highlight reel finishes, but it also a complete fighter.
    He's certainly one of (and in my view definitively) the top p4p fighter who has wins against several name fighters (Edgar, Florian) from higher weight classes.
    His first UFC win was a classic on one of the biggest UFC cards of all time.
    Throw in a sick looking scar on his face, and what more do you need? He's basically Anderson without the drama.

Sure, he's a smaller fighter and they tend to not get as much recognition. Rather than submitting to that problem, it's too bad the UFC couldn't use Aldo do buck that trend instead.

I guess it's because he's never had a foil.

To be fair he has had some fights that didn't make it easy to market him. the Mark Hominck fight ended with him on the canvas getting pounded on, he wouldn't let go of the fence in the Mendes fight, 3 decisions and 1 tko, he has not looked like the same guy from the WEC. I think the UFC expected him to come out of the gates with his crazy offense and put together a nice highlight reel they could use, he didn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

Something that Meltzer was saying the other day was quite interesting and I think plays into the marketing issues with guys like Barao and Aldo, as well as say the BFC guys like Minakov and Schlemenko, is that for North American audiences, especially in the sports market, is the language barrier, which makes these guys a tad less accessible to the mainstream US sports media and fans, when it comes to selling fights, doing interviews and displaying personalities that the fans can really attach to. Meltzer specifically mentioned the major talents coming out of Russia and how the language issues are challenging, likening it to pro wrestling promotions not pushing foreigners who can't speak the language, because they can only "get over" to a certain level without the mouthpiece.Also, given the similar comments made by Barao about his pay before the TJ upset, I'm sensing another Team Alpha Male "budget cut" via Money lol.

Thread Information