Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking: Vitor Belfort Replaces Wanderlei Silva, Meets Chael Sonnen At UFC 175

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    Huh?

How is there no doubt he'd beat Munoz, Kennedy or Rockhold?

I'm pretty secure in saying Kennedy would give him fits. I'm not positive on where Munoz is mentally and physically but his style could very well give Chael problems too. Rockhold lost to Vitor on a crazy kick and then promptly finished two VERY solid fighters inside of the first round.

Making statements like that seems a bit ridiculous to me.
    Completely agree. Sonnen's been at LHW for two years - how will he handle the cut after packing on that extra muscle not to mention the fact that he's now 37 years old? And TRT-less, no less?

I'm not going to discount Sonnen's skills because I dislike his personality but declaring that Sonnen would "no doubt" beat the Munozs, Kennedys and Rockholds of the world at this stage of his career is presumptuous in the extreme. There's plenty of doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by scallas View Post
    If someone already said something to this effect, I apologize, but why wouldn't Chael deserve a title shot if he beats Vitor?
    a) because he hasn't beaten a MW of note in years.
    b) because there is doubt as to Vitor's validity of an opponent post TRT
    c) because there is tremendous doubt--from objective fans--as to whether he'd beat Munoz, Kennedy or especially Rockhold
    d) but more importantly, they've been fighting in the division and winning. He hasn't done either of those things in a long time.

I could go on, but it's a pointless exercise. You either see that sonnen should be nowhere near a title shot in an objective world, or you're a big enough fan where you're willing to bend reality so that your boy gets a gimme.

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    Riv, I know that everyone involved is capable of theatrics, but that's a ton of unnecessary shit to actually get to this point. Why have this big long rivalry that has even included a season of TUF, only to scrap it for a less anticipated fight?
    I don't think the whole thing was a work.
    I think it was a contingency plan.

There has been doubt that Wandi would be healthy enough to fight from the beginning. I believe people were working on spin from the very beginning. I think it's likely he was juicing, or more likely that he was smoking, and the random test opened the door for the contingency plan.

So I don't think it was a work from the beginning, but I do not believe the validity of anything that has been written about it since the story broke.

As far as Wandi letting people shit on his legacy, he's not in a position to argue...and we haven't heard his side of the story yet, either. It would be unsurprising if the spin doctors at zuffa have something just plausible enough to mollify die-hard Wandi fans, incense sonnen fans, and keep the controversy ball rolling enough to get the UFC in people's mouth.

It's become increasingly difficult to be a UFC fan.
    I find professional wrestling to be pathetic, and zuffa has adopted more and more of it's theatrics in an effort to chase that billion dollar empire dream. I get the capitalist side of it, but as a fan, it's hard to see the sport--and I'm using that term specifically, because sports-entertainment is a whore--utterly trashed in the process. IF you weren't a fan back before the melodrama, you wouldn't know any difference.

If you've never seen anything but whores, whores look hot, and their sales pitch can somehow sound attractive.

But if you knew them before they went tricking, it's pathetic, and difficult to watch.

rh
    Last edited by rivethead; 05-30-2014 at 05:24 PM. Reason: formatting
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Sonnen didn't look that great at MW after the first Silva fight. The Bisping fight was close. Off of TRT I wouldn't bet on him over Rockhold, Kennedy or Souza. I would take him over Munoz though. I have been impressed with Munoz.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Apparently Wandy released a statement via http://www.tatame.com.br/... And this is the shitty google translation:

I speak for all my fans out there, you know I do not fight Chael Sonnen for the champion fighter end is because it means a lot to me for my people in Brazil, the UFC Dana White that means he said hurtful things.

But that does not stop me from fighting, I am always fighting Brazilian favela for playboys alway to fight. I am male like cock is cock nut
    You know that Chael Sonnen is false, he has TRT I am a pure man, no drugs, I'm real as the day I was born, nothing can change, my face scars tell my wars, Chael Sonnen has wig on, botox TRT everything you know.
    For me, to be real should not do this fight to him to apologize to apologize to me in many ways for the bad things he said, just so I can fight, UFC you do not make it happen? My tears are like waterfall at night take them away I embrace you all

*Note: I have not seen the article yet, it was posted on another forum so could just be a troll who made it up...
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

I can't even read that
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

6. Default

That actually reads like Wanderlei speaks English.
    Last edited by Sakara=Excitement; 05-30-2014 at 10:31 AM.

It's like trying to have a conversation with the cashier at McDonalds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Real or not, the "my tears are like waterfalls at night" line is one of my favorite things ever.
    USA! USA! USA!

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Thank you for the unintentional hilarity. If dana white, the president of the UFC told me ice was cold, I'd get a second opinion.

But on that note, would you like to buy some farmland in Florida? It's waterfront!

rh
    If Lorenzo or Frank ever spoke publicly on subjects like this, I certainly would have named them instead of Dana. But whether anyone likes it or not, Dana's all we get.

With that said, in this particular situation, I would trust Dana's word. As much as the UFC management are up Wanderlei's ass, because he's a legend, I don't see them needlessly burying him. It's not like he's calling off a fight a week before the event (like Hendo), or refusing a fight that would save an event after his opponent got injured (like Bones).

But looks like Wanderlei is going to post a video in the next day or 2 about this issue. So at least his side of the story will get out.

Guys tomorrow I will release a video telling all OQA acontorceu, and telling what will happen! The umRT we show our strength to pumping

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    If dana white, the president of the UFC told me ice was cold, I'd get a second opinion.

I can vouch for that
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Thread Information