Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Breaking: Vitor Belfort Replaces Wanderlei Silva, Meets Chael Sonnen At UFC 175

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Chael Sonnen vs. Anthony Johnson? Fight was 'supposed to happen' at UFC 175
    http://www.mmamania.com/2014/6/3/577...en-ufc-175-mma
    Good thing that fight didn't happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

2. Default

Chael Sonnen worried he can't cut 50 pounds to fight Belfort at middleweight
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/6/3/...-fight-belfort

"That's news to me. Dana just said that in Berlin and I just heard. I weigh 236 pounds right at this second and that would leave me with 51 pounds to lose in 30-some days. I don't know if that's possible.

"I have a contract," he said. "My contract is for 205, so I'm hoping that Dana misspoke. But if it's 185, it's 185.

"Here's how fighting works: I don't really care about title shots, but there is a process," Sonnen said. "Vitor has a title right now, he has a title of No. 1 contender. He can't come into a fight and not put that title on the line. It doesn't work that way.

"It would be the same as Chris Weidman saying ‘I'm gonna fight Lyoto Machida, but it's a non-title fight.' That's pro-wrestling, that doesn't happen. If Vitor got a title, he's got to put that title on the line. If he doesn't want to put that against me, then don't fight me."
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

wait, what?

This is a little crazy, even for sonnen. never mind that #1 contender isn't a title, but since when does fighting the #1 contender automatically make you the #1 contender if you win? Particularly if you're nowhere near being ranked at the weight class?

and he'd want the "title" of #1 contender at MW, even if he fought for it at LHW?

riiiiiiiiiight.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    wait, what?

This is a little crazy, even for sonnen. never mind that #1 contender isn't a title, but since when does fighting the #1 contender automatically make you the #1 contender if you win? Particularly if you're nowhere near being ranked at the weight class?

and he'd want the "title" of #1 contender at MW, even if he fought for it at LHW?

riiiiiiiiiight.

rh
    Seems like all this #1 contender status whilst fighting in a different weight class always involves Chael and Vitor.
    Wasn't Vitor fighting Dan Henderson at LHW for the sole reason to protect his #1 contender status whether he won or lost that bout?

Being that these 2 guys set a precedent for making their own rules and stipulations when it comes to their fights, and how Dana doesn't adhere to basic logic of rankings, I think it's best to let this play out, and just keep our logical opinions to ourselves. It's not like our opinions is gonna influence the president of the UFC to set a standard.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    wait, what?

riiiiiiiiiight.

rh
    I think this is classic Chael being Chael. He is however flat out wrong. Vitor is not number one contender, he will be if he beats CHael but isn't right now so he is putting a potential number 1 contender shot on the line by fighting Chael. Only thing is if he loses neither of them get a title shot.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Moosausage is movin on up like the Jeffersons.

Mike Dolce spared difficult decision with proposed Sonnen vs. Belfort fight
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/6/4/...nen-vs-belfort
    Since the proposed Sonnen vs. Belfort fight at UFC 175, which can only be made official if the Nevada Athletic Commission licenses Belfort on June 17, would be contested at 205 pounds instead of 185 pounds (yes, Dana White misspoke last week), Dolce's services aren't needed as much.

"Fortunately, at 205 pounds, neither guy needs me in person and both are using me as a consultant," he said.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Thread Information