+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking: Vitor Belfort Replaces Wanderlei Silva, Meets Chael Sonnen At UFC 175

Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post

Does the fact that Vitor is filling in for him seem odd and ironic? Yep.

I'd like to note that it seems very strange to me that they are replacing a guy who had not submitted an app for a license with a guy who could potentially be denied a license.
    How perfect the timing to, all this blows up once the TUF season is complete....

Something stinks about it for sure, Wandy neglected to complete the necessary applications for the fight yet they give it to Vitor who has no fighters license and might not even get licensed.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    It must be hard knowing your favorite fighter is a cheater, eh.
    Its not cheating, god dammit, its technique.

Wanderlei Silva Responds To UFC 175 Ouster, Doesn't Believe Bad News
    Wanderlei Silva took to Twitter.com shortly after news broke that he would be replaced at UFC 175 in his fight against Chael Sonnen, most likely against Vitor Belfort (read breaking news here). "The Axe Murderer" is apparently shocked and doesn't believe the news, which either means he's acting clueless -- or somehow -- he is unaware of what really forced his disappointing withdrawal. "What's this? I'm not believing," is the rough Google translation.
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 05-29-2014 at 02:54 PM.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

3. Default

UFC Confirms Wanderlei Silva Out, Vitor Belfort In vs. Chael Sonnen at UFC 175… With One Hitch
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ufc-con...0196--mma.html

Belfort has failed a drug test in Nevada in the past, while fighting for Pride FC, and he has the ghost of unreleased drug test results from a surprise drug test administered by the Nevada commission in February lingering over his shoulder. Either or both could become a part of the comprehensive review, and thus, public record, if he is asked about them by commissioners at the June 17 meeting, which is likely to happen.
    There are many paths to freedom....not all are peaceful.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    It must be hard knowing your favorite fighter is a cheater, eh.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA what??? are you serious right now?

1) What in the fuck does Wanderlei have to do to avoid this fight to make some of you believe that he doesn't want to fight Sonnen?

2) Not wanting to fight him doesn't equal fear, but it most certainly could equal a lack of desire to get slammed to the ground, and get punched in the face for 25 minutes, or until it gets stopped. Also fear doesn't necessarily equal "Fear that Chael Sonnen is going to beat him up!". Fear can mean the fear of losing badly in a fight that has been hyped for so long. Right or wrong, this fight is what the casual fans were going to connect him with, for a long time, because of the hype behind it. Why is fear such a terrible word anyways? Don't we all fear stuff that we do all the time? Sonnen himself has talked at great lengths about fear. We use fear, when talking about fighters, as some kind of insult, but why? Some of them do get scared, if not all. Stepping into a cage, in front of a roaring crowd, Million watching at home (maybe), against a trained elite fighter...that shit sounds scary.

3) I enjoy Wanderlei's fights, but am I supposed to have some magical level of respect for him as a human being because of that?! To me he comes across as a big, obnoxious, loud clown.

4) If he isn't avoiding the Sonnen fight then how does such a super hero of honor let someone say that kind of stuff about him, and just walk away?

5) My absolute biggest thing with all of this is that Chael is generally viewed as a joke on here, while Wanderlei is viewed as some sort of God. The thing is though, that Wanderlei is even more over the top than Chael. Anytime that's brought up, his fans justify it by saying "Wanderlei is real! Nothing fake about him like Sonnen!". Well that can go 1 of 2 ways. The first is that Wanderlei is the semi-coherent threat machine that all of you know and love, for some reason, the same one that isn't following through on his bajillion threats. The second way is that he isn't who you think he is, but instead a poor man's Chael Sonnen, only Chael would never do this. Like him or not, nobody, and I mean NOBODY, was afraid Chael wouldn't show.

6) Don't like that Chael is potentially 1 fight from a title shot, neither do I, but don't blame Chael for using his new found leverage to gain a promotion. Blame the UFC for not having a better back up plan, but more importantly blame Wanderlei for putting everyone in this position.

Was Wanderlei a great fighter? Yes. Is he a legend? Yes, but overhyped a bit. One of the 5 greatest 205ers ever? Probably. Awesome human being? Not even close, in my opinion. In fact, if I knew a guy like him in my daily life, I would go to great lengths to avoid him.
    Last edited by The Donosaur; 05-29-2014 at 03:36 PM.
    Earth! Fire! Wind! Water! Frankie Edgar!

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    1) What in the fuck does Wanderlei have to do to avoid this fight to make some of you believe that he doesn't want to fight Sonnen?

2) Not wanting to fight him doesn't equal fear, but it most certainly could equal a lack of desire to get slammed to the ground, and get punched in the face for 25 minutes, or until it gets stopped.

3) I enjoy Wanderlei's fights, but am I supposed to have some magical level of respect for him as a human being because of that?! To me he comes across as a big, obnoxious, loud clown.

4) If he isn't avoiding the Sonnen fight then how does such a super hero of honor let someone say that kind of stuff about him, and just walk away?

5) My absolute biggest thing with all of this is that Chael is generally viewed as a joke on here, while Wanderlei is viewed as some sort of God. The thing is though, that Wanderlei is even more over the top than Chael. Anytime that's brought up, his fans justify it by saying "Wanderlei is real! Nothing fake about him like Sonnen!". Well that can go 1 of 2 ways. The first is that Wanderlei is the semi-coherent threat machine that all of you know and love, for some reason, the same one that isn't following through on his bajillion threats. The second way is that he isn't who you think he is, but instead a poor man's Chael Sonnen, only Chael would never do this. Like him or not, nobody, and I mean NOBODY, was afraid Chael wouldn't show.

6) Don't like that Chael is potentially 1 fight from a title shot, neither do I, but don't blame Chael for using his new found leverage to gain a promotion. Blame the UFC for not having a better back up plan, but more importantly blame Wanderlei for putting everyone in this position.

Was Wanderlei a great fighter? Yes. Is he a legend? Yes, but overhyped a bit. One of the 5 greatest 205ers ever? Probably. Awesome human being? Not even close, in my opinion. In fact, if I knew a guy like him in my daily life, I would go to great lengths to avoid him.
    He also wanted to fuck chuck

I think I may have solved the mystery... He's been secretly training and managed by the Diaz brothers camp. That could explain EVERYTHING
    et noli esse incredulus sed fidelis

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    He also wanted to fuck chuck
    We all want to do that.

I just went back and watched the Ultimate Fighter brawl. Right before shit hits the fan, Wanderlei keeps hitting his hand, saying "soon", and other generally obnoxious things. Eventually Sonnen starts saying stuff like "When?", and "I don't know the date, do you?". Wanderlei acts like he knows the date, and then more barely coherent threats. The whole time I couldn't help but think, "Of course Wanderlei knows the date. He knows the date is never".
    Earth! Fire! Wind! Water! Frankie Edgar!

I guess that for Sakara=excitement this is a very important fight. One of his most beloved fighters against, by far, his most hated fighter. lol
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    I've stayed away from commenting on this news because I'm a fan.

That being said, this news makes me pretty sad. I understand the potential that Wandy may have decided to use some questionable methods in order to win this fight and it makes sense given the disdain the two likely have for each other. What I don't understand is the thought process of those who somehow believe Wanderlei EFFING Silva "wants no part" of Chael Sonnen. That's insane.

How could anyone legitimately believe that Wanderlei is somehow all of the sudden intimidated or concerned with his own well-being when you look at his body of work. This guy gets it. He goes for it and he does so against anyone who is put in front of him.

Is it possible he juiced; maybe even probable? Yep.

Does that make him somehow subject to ridicule from the likes of Chael Sonnen? NOPE.

Does the fact that Vitor is filling in for him seem odd and ironic? Yep.

I'd like to note that it seems very strange to me that they are replacing a guy who had not submitted an app for a license with a guy who could potentially be denied a license.
    1. he has not had a fight in over a year
    2- has not won two in a row since 20005 (he is coming off a win)
    3- he is old and with his fight record as of late maybe some self doubt.
    4- he know's Chael has the skills needed to beat him on the ground.
    5- he has to knows his only chance to win this fight is a slug fest and that Chael Is not that dumb to keep fight standing and he can't stop Chael from the TD.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information