Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Bellator crosses 100,000 buy mark for inaugural pay-per-view effort

I think PPV is dying, people do not want to spend 50 dollars for a PPV anymore, not when they can download the card within 24 hours and still watch it on any TV in the house for free. WWE saw the writing on the wall, its time to move in to subscription based formats, I personally think WWE NEtwork will pan out, it needs to open up to the world not just the states to really see the numbers rise. And the UFC has to start doing that also with fight pass and in a few years everyone will have it, its like Netflix for MMA, whats not to love.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

I think PPV is dying, people do not want to spend 50 dollars for a PPV anymore, not when they can download the card within 24 hours and still watch it on any TV in the house for free. WWE saw the writing on the wall, its time to move in to subscription based formats, I personally think WWE NEtwork will pan out, it needs to open up to the world not just the states to really see the numbers rise. And the UFC has to start doing that also with fight pass and in a few years everyone will have it, its like Netflix for MMA, whats not to love.
    The quality of the ppv cards are not what they used to be as a result of all the cards that the UFC puts on now. The cards that you need to pay 55 dollars for now aren't too different from the free Tuesday night WEC cards from back in the day.

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/thre...-buys/?&page=1
    From Meltzer's newletter today...

"It’s too early to get accurate numbers, but every indication we’ve gotten was very bad, and that it showed a steep decline from UFC 173, which was among the lower numbers of the last eight years. UFC PPV shows usually range from 200,000 to 500,000 Google searches after the event, and are usually in the top few searched for items in the country. A bad show may only do 100,000. Bellator’s show last month hit 100,000. A big show can top 500,000, with the shows that hover around 1 million buys usually doing anywhere from 1 million to 5 million searches. This show did less than 20,000, unheard of for a PPV.

Unlike UFC 173, which looked weak on paper and everyone knew wasn’t going to draw much, it still had Dan Henderson and Daniel Cormier in the No. 2 spot. They brought some star power in what was really the main event. It also had a lot to talk about after, due to T.J. Dillashaw’s upset win over Renan Barao.

This show didn’t have much interest going in. But most of the time, those type of shows deliver good action. This had none of that. It wasn’t terrible, but there was no fight you needed to see. As a likely sign of how the show went, Dana White didn’t even attend the post-fight press conference."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    The quality of the ppv cards are not what they used to be as a result of all the cards that the UFC puts on now. The cards that you need to pay 55 dollars for now aren't too different from the free Tuesday night WEC cards from back in the day.
    That is very true, it is becoming a watered down product. Closing down Strikeforce and WEC might be hurting them, NXT is doing wonders for WWE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

That is very true, it is becoming a watered down product. Closing down Strikeforce and WEC might be hurting them, NXT is doing wonders for WWE.
    Closing down the two didn't hurt their PPV's if anything it's keeping them less watered down. The problem is the global expansion that they are trying to achieve and running TUF and Fight Night cards. With TUF they are tying up fighters that could be in the ring more regularly and with the fight night cards they are pulling fighters that have name value to headline those instead of keeping them on PPV.

To many cards are being run. I really think they should scale back on the amount of PPV's stack the cards a lot more then charge a bit more for them. A ppv with 500-600k buys that every wants to see for a higher rate does better then a couple ppvs in the 200-300k range at a lower rate

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post

To many cards are being run. I really think they should scale back on the amount of PPV's stack the cards a lot more then charge a bit more for them. A ppv with 500-600k buys that every wants to see for a higher rate does better then a couple ppvs in the 200-300k range at a lower rate
    I cant really see people paying much more than the current price for a PPV event.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    I cant really see people paying much more than the current price for a PPV event.
    If your only buying them once every couple months and the card is stacked then I can see the value in it. They did up the price for Weidman/Silva II and that's been the best selling PPV in quite some time.

The UFC put out lame ppvs lately. If we pay $60 for an event it should have one 170 or above title fight, one lighter weight or women's title fight, and the rest of it should be stacked with big names. They have enough fighters to do that.
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    If your only buying them once every couple months and the card is stacked then I can see the value in it. They did up the price for Weidman/Silva II and that's been the best selling PPV in quite some time.
    Good point.

I guess as long as the increase is not significant (eg. $5 increase for Weidman Silva 2), people will still pay for it.

I agree. As a diehard fan I wouldn't pay more. If anything they should stack the cards like I said in my previous post and still drop the price back down to $50.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

Thread Information