Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Georges St-Pierre: I wasn't motivated for Johny Hendricks fight

Default Georges St-Pierre: I wasn't motivated for Johny Hendricks fight

Georges St-Pierre: I wasn't motivated for Johny Hendricks fight
    http://mmajunkie.com/2014/05/georges...endricks-fight
    ďI had the same procedure on my right knee, and my leg came back stronger,Ē he said. ďI will have two good knees, so it will be a good thing.Ē

In the meantime, the former welterweight champ is watching the sport from a distance, including the sudden race near the top between a handful of standout welterweights. Robbie Lawler, Matt Brown, Hector Lombard, and Dong Hyun Kim are a few of the frontrunners. But St-Pierre, of course, has his eye closer to home.

ďIím very happy and very excited, and my friend and training partner Rory MacDonald is part of that group, and I think he is going to be champion,Ē he said.

Nevertheless, the fighter, who this month turned 33, agrees with UFC President Dana Whiteís assessment that now is an exciting time to watch 170-pounders fight.

ďItís true Ė it is the most exciting time, because they have a lot of different contenders,Ē St-Pierre said. ďItís a lot of new guys Ė theyíre not veterans. I mean, some of them are veterans that were not there before, so itís a lot of new faces.Ē

Johny Hendricks, of course, is the face and champion after St-Pierre vacated the belt and Hendricks outpointed Lawler at UFC 171 in March. Earlier in his career, St-Pierre might have liked to have erased any doubts about his split-decision over the champ at this past Novemberís UFC 167. But he is still finding himself after making the decision to take time off from the sport following that fight.

St-Pierre (25-2 MMA, 19-2 UFC) initially said his reasons for stepping away from the sport were personal. As time went on, however, he revealed his issues with the UFCís drug testing protocol and struggles with OCD.

While he is invested in the welterweight divisionís fate, St-Pierre apparently isnít up to speed on an issue he said was close to his heart. Asked for his thoughts on the random testing funded by the UFC for a recent title fight between light heavyweight champ Jon Jones and Glover Teixeira, he said, ďI havenít followed that.Ē

Whether he does continue to follow the sport or not, however, he will be asked at every turn when heíll be back.

In previous interviews, heís teased a comeback. But before this particular group of reporters on a rainy Berlin day, he didnít have answers about his future Ė only that his past was something less than comfortable to be avoided.

ďIíve been doing this for a long time, since I was 19,Ē he said. ďIím 33 now. When I fought (Carlos) Condit, I was very hungry. I was very happy to be there. I wanted to do it a lot. (Nick) Diaz, a little bit less. And the last training camp I had with (Johny) Hendricks, I didnít have the same motivation. It went down, and I need to get back to that feeling of hunger.

ďI need to get the motivation back. Itís hard, because itís always the same routine, the same thing. And I need to fix some things in my life to make it more efficient. Once everything can be done, maybe Iíll come back. Weíll see how it goes. But I canít say yes, I canít say no, because I just donít know right now.Ē
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Training every day, injuries piling up, interviews, press conferences, sponsor event obligations (if there are any in the contract)...

It certainly would wear someone down after a while and would take away some of the hunger that drives a person.

I liked the interview and GSP's responses. But MMA article titles always make people sound more douchey than they are. GSP was pretty far from making a specific statement about that fight.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    I liked the interview and GSP's responses. But MMA article titles always make people sound more douchey than they are. GSP was pretty far from making a specific statement about that fight.
    That's all sports media in general. On the 6 pm sportscenter today they were talking about Johnny Manziel simply attending UFC 173 with the headline "Is Johnny Football not concentrating on football??"
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    That's all sports media in general. On the 6 pm sportscenter today they were talking about Johnny Manziel simply attending UFC 173 with the headline "Is Johnny Football not concentrating on football??"
    I actually don't follow other sports so I was blissfully unaware. Well, that's sad. With regular news, I've taken to assuming any surprising article is bullshit; seems it's true most times.

6. Default

Johny Hendricks: If GSP stayed retired ‘it wouldn’t bother me’
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/6/5/...tired-mma-news

Johny Hendricks would love an opportunity to avenge his loss to Georges St-Pierre, but will hold no resentment if the former champion remains retired.

The UFC welterweight champion stopped by the UFC Tonight studio, where he discussed his recovery from bicep surgery, as well as his interest in rematching GSP in the future.

Hendricks stated that, while he would really like to avenge his loss to the former welterweight kingpin, he would not be bothered if St-Pierre remains retired, as he is looking to create his own legacy in the UFC.

"I don't (think about GSP). I'd love to have a rematch, don't get me wrong. But if he didn't come back, it wouldn't bother me none. I'm trying to make my own legacy, and if he is a part of it that'd be great, and if not, I don't care."
    When asked whether he can play devil's advocate and accept the loss to GSP at UFC 167 as a close fight, Hendricks replied that that was not possible, as he is certain he won at least three of the five rounds in that contest.

"No, I still can't. I rewatch it, rewatch it, and rewatch it, and the best I can do is 3-2. But everybody is human. Everybody makes mistakes. It was sort of on my side, because I got to fight in Dallas, and actually fought a very tough fight again.
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

His gift of a title will be short lived.

We will see about that!

Zahabi: A lot of fire left in [GSP]
    Ariel Helwani: I had to ask. How’s he doing by the way.

Fires Zahabi: He’s doing fantastic. He’s doing amazing.

Ariel Helwani: You think he’ll be back?

Firas Zahabi: I think so. I think there’s a lot of fire left in him. Especially since he got injured, he’s more motivated than ever. He’s was just about to start sparring again before he got injured. I think there’s a lot of martial arts left in him.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

No, I still can't. I rewatch it, rewatch it, and rewatch it, and the best I can do is 3-2. But everybody is human. Everybody makes mistakes.
    If he's talking about the judges making a mistake, he should acknowledge that they made the same one for his fight with Lawler.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Thread Information