Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: UFC For Alexander Gustafsson, it's simple: Sign the bout agreement, Jon Jones

I agree. I'm definitely no big Jones fan or anything, but it seems like the guy fights more frequently than anyone else in the UFC, short of maybe Cerrone. I was/am a big St. Pierre fan, and we were lucky if he fought twice a year. Jones gets the heat because he acts douchey, whereas George was all class and got a pass, but I'd be fine if Jones held out until late fall.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I don't think he's scared. For that matter, I don't think Wandi is scared of sonnen, either.

I think bones is trying to play the game with zuffa and renegotiate the best contract he can. If dana wants to go and stupidly announce a fight without having signed bout agreements, that's his mistake--and one he should have learned from the last time he did it with jones. It's not like jones hasn't played the diva before, dana should know what he's getting this time around.

It's funny, that bullshit "bones is bestest p4p" pandering that dana spewed is capable of biting him in the ass here--it's not likehe's going to turn around and strip bones' title simply for not agreeing to face Goose or to say "how high" when dana says "jump."

But this is stupid business shit. zuffa has made it a point for too long to leave their dirty laundry out for the world to see, but I honestly don't think Jones is afraid of Gus. And mind you, I think jones lost the first fight.

rh
    I said he seemed scared, as in he is kind of coming off that way. He no longer has that undeniable killer take on all comers out looks that he used to. It isn't necessarily a bad thing it is just different however, majority of his fans became fans because of his old attitude.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Quote Originally Posted by scallas View Post
    I agree. I'm definitely no big Jones fan or anything, but it seems like the guy fights more frequently than anyone else in the UFC, short of maybe Cerrone.
    Jones has fought 5 times in the last two years. That's hardly a barnburner.
    He gets credit for a busy 2011, when he had a busy turnaround after the bader fight with a drop in opportunity of a lifetime to face Shogun, and then two quick defenses. It was a great year--arguably one of the best in UFC history--but he shouldn't be trading on it anymore.

I was/am a big St. Pierre fan, and we were lucky if he fought twice a year. Jones gets the heat because he acts douchey, whereas George was all class and got a pass,
    Yes to nobody giving Jones credit when he's douchey. But he has nobody to blame for that but himself.
    But he's already settled into a role of delaying fights, playing with the media, etc. He's following in the lamest of Anderson's footsteps.
    But early in George's career, when he--like Jones in 2011 was trying to make a name for himself--was fighting 4 or 5 times in a 12 month period.

...but I'd be fine if Jones held out until late fall.
    I'd be fine if champions defended when the org tells them to...minimally 2x a year.
    But by the same token, I'd be happier if the org gets signed agreements before they make any announcements--particularly in huge bouts that could be one of the biggest draws of the year.

Lack of professional polish from both the brass and the champion on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    I said he seemed scared, as in he is kind of coming off that way. He no longer has that undeniable killer take on all comers out looks that he used to. It isn't necessarily a bad thing it is just different however, majority of his fans became fans because of his old attitude.
    I get that. Again, I think he's getting paid. He's got more at risk than Goose, he's got more at risk than dana, etc.

I agree that he's lost the hunger. That's what happens when fighters get paid--you start to see who saw fighting as a means to break into a lifestyle, and who actually wants to see the best in the cage across from them. Since GSP was already brought up, he went 4 or 5 years without picking and choosing, which is an incredibly high standard for the modern era of MMA.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

This is a matter of business. Jones want to set a standard for how the UFC deals with him. I don't think it's unreasonable to talk to him about his contract before announcing a fight. You would think Dana would have learned that the "I say jump, you say how high" Bullshit wasn't going to work after Jones pulled out of a main event. We all know that Dana has about as much respect for his fighters as Walmart does for it's lowest paid employees. Although sometimes he can generous, those times are usually the exception to the rule. The carnival continues and main stream respect for our sport is still just out of reach....
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...-interim-title

UFC light heavyweight contender Daniel Cormier is anxiously waiting to see if divisional champion Jon Jones will rematch Alexander Gustafsson, but he isn't content to wait much longer.

If that highly anticipated matchup isn't going to happen as a result of the champ's contract negotiations (per MMA Fighting), "DC" wants to let Gustafsson know a plan B awaits if need be, per Sports World News.)

"I know this will probably be unpopular, but if [Jones] won't sign, whether it be for money or a lack of wanting to fight the kid, I'll fight Alexander Gustafsson," Cormier said. "But it should be for the interim title...If they're putting a belt on the line, I don't care what date it is. It was never about Jones, I just want the title...Besides, it'll work out better for [Jones]; he won't have to fight both of us."

The former Olympian is undefeated as a professional mixed martial artist, improving to 15-0 last week when he choked Dan Henderson unconscious at UFC 173, in what was a completely one-sided affair.

A top contender at heavyweight, easily defeating Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva and ex-UFC heavyweight champs Josh Barnett and Frank Mir, Cormier dropped down to 205 pounds in February when he made short work of newcomer Patrick Cummins.

While it's impossible to deny the American Kickboxing Academy product is on the short list of light heavyweight title contenders, most pundits would prefer to see Jones vs. Gustafsson II first.

Their first encounter marked the only time inside the Octagon Jones has truly been tested, with the bloody, brutal, back-and-forth September matchup at UFC 165 almost unanimously receiving "Fight of the Year" honors from MMA media outlets.

Gustafsson next showed his dominance by easily outstriking previously undefeated prospect Jimi Manuwa at UFC Fight Night 37 in March, finishing him with a knee and barrage of subsequent punches in the second round.

Meanwhile, Jones dialed in a nearly flawless performance in April, battering Glover Teixeira for five rounds at UFC 172 in April.

Gustafsson has recently taken to Facebook to try and goad "Bones" into signing up for a rematch, but that tactic hasn't panned out just yet.

According to the UFC's official rankings, Gustafsson and Cormier are the No. 1 and No. 2 light heavyweight contenders in the world, respectively.

In the event Jones plans on sitting out for an extended period of time to secure a lucrative UFC deal, would Cormier vs. Gustafsson for the light heavyweight interim title be what the fans want to see?
    "I leave this as a declaration of intent, so no one will get confused. 1: Si vis pacum para bellum. Latin. If you want peace, prepare for war. 2: Frank Castle is dead. He died with his family. 3: In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacies, it is necessary to act outside the law. To pursue natural justice. This isn't vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response. No, not vengeance. Punishment "

An interm title? Seriously? Thats funny
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    An interm title? Seriously? Thats funny
    He's just playing the same game dana and jones play--plus he's throwing the diva shit back in bones' face. If bones hadn't made the weak-assed suggestion that they fight each other--particularly after not balking at the easier fights he's been given--it would have sounded more stupid.

Now it's a viable bargaining tool for dana. It actually wouldn't surprise me if bones agreed to it. I think it would be pathetic, but I could see him allowing it to happen.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

This wouldn't surprise me. Like I said before he wants no part of either guy. He's done a lot of crying since Gus vs Manuwa was even announced.

This will just make it easier for pokes since one guy eliminates the other and then they make room for another easy match up like the Glover fight.

The whole thing reeks of absolute shit. Fight who you are matched against, period. None of this picking and choosing crap, it's getting old especially for the so called "Champion". If Bones opts out, DC vs Gus would be a huge slap in the face to the Mauler who has been waiting patiently after dispatching Manuwa handily.

I want to see Cormier vs Jones as much as the next guy, but the fact of the matter is Gustafsson earned the rematch and should be first in line. As well as I feel he deserves it, seeing as how that first fight could of easily been scored his way. Just my 2 cents...
    "I leave this as a declaration of intent, so no one will get confused. 1: Si vis pacum para bellum. Latin. If you want peace, prepare for war. 2: Frank Castle is dead. He died with his family. 3: In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacies, it is necessary to act outside the law. To pursue natural justice. This isn't vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response. No, not vengeance. Punishment "

Thread Information