+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: UFC For Alexander Gustafsson, it's simple: Sign the bout agreement, Jon Jones

Quote Originally Posted by hass View Post
    I don't think this fight will be as close. Jones is going to beat him again. Even thought I'm disappointed to say that. Cormier is looking beastly at 205 though!
    Cormier looks good but he's still hasn't fought a top 5. I give Gus more of a chance than DC at this point since Jones doesn't seem to know how to deal with someone who can move in and hit him as much as he can normally hit his opponent.

DC with a 71" reach has to find a way to close distance quick without out eating a front kick or eyepokes.

He found Bigfoot Silva's chin and he has what, 82"?

Clearly a different fighter but it's not like he's never seen someone with a reach advantage.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

True but Bigfoot is a lot slower too and doesn't use kicks or even jabs much.

Quote Originally Posted by 1inthechamber View Post
    or eye pokes

Quote Originally Posted by 1inthechamber View Post
    yes, but Bigfoot hits far, far, far harder than jones can ever aspire too.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    or eye pokes
    well, yes. There is always that.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

Jones has no ko power but will be harder for Cormier to hit, unless Jones is dumb enough to actually engage in a wrestling match and clinch with Cormier.

If Cormier can grab a hold of him, the match will be interesting. Cormier is not an outstanding striker so I don't think he will land much besides from a scramble or the clinch in regards to the stand up.

It is not the first time that Jones is avoiding somebody. What he wants the most is to fight someone that is much easier for him (like Hendo), and Gustafsson fighting Cormier.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    It is not the first time that Jones is avoiding somebody. What he wants the most is to fight someone that is much easier for him (like Hendo), and Gustafsson fighting Cormier.

I agree Jones has tried to play match maker in the past to his advantage but I think Jones is well aware the UFC wont be letting him avoid a rematch with Goose. Jones is trying to make some money as he should be.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Cain Velasquez: Fellow UFC champ Jon Jones ‘has a lot of work to do' at 205
    http://mmajunkie.com/2014/05/cain-ve...k-to-do-at-205
    “He has a lot of work to do in his division right now,” Velasquez told MMAjunkie. “He had Glover (Teixeira), and now he has ‘DC’ and then he has (Alexander) Gustafsson also. I just think that’s in the present moment right now because he has a lot of opponents coming up.”

A Velasquez-Jones bout is arguably the biggest matchup the UFC could make between two active fighters, but it would only make sense if both champs continue their winning ways.

That’s a double-edged sword for Velasquez. While Jones would be a lucrative opponent, both financially and in terms of notoriety, Velasquez hopes Cormier will bring an end to the champ’s historic title reign.

“He’s ready for this,” Velasquez said of Cormier. “It’s his time. Jon Jones has that long reach, which is going to make things difficult. He throws those kicks and a lot of punches. His elbows are tough as well, but I think Cormier just has what it takes to win.”

Velasquez has proved willing to take on all-comers in his nearly eight-year career, and well before a fight with Jones ever becomes a reality, he must get past his next task, which comes in the form of No. 1 heavyweight contender Fabricio Werdum.

Werdum is scheduled to challenge for Velasquez’s title this November at UFC 180 in Mexico City. Before then, though, the two future opponents coach against each other on “The Ultimate Fighter: Latin America,” which is currently filming in Las Vegas.

Even though the show’s production is still in the early stages, the 31-year-old Velasquez is enjoying the experience and has high hopes for his team of Mexican fighters who are looking to break through and into the UFC.

“It’s been good,” Velasquez said. “We’ve got a great group of guys and a good team going. Everyone has a great attitude, which I guess makes my job a lot easier that the guys are willing to put the work in and just to learn.”

While Velasquez is excited to coach the show and fight in the UFC’s long-awaited Mexico debut, questions remain about the condition of his surgically repaired shoulder. It’s kept him out of action since his victory over Junior Dos Santos at UFC 166 this past October.

Velasquez insists his recovery is on track for the targeted fight date. And admittedly, he’s pleased about his current coaching obligations on “TUF” because he can ease back into training in a less-stressful environment.

“I get to come back slowly as far as training and getting back in shape,” Velasquez said. “I have (head coach) Javier Mendez here look after me training. I feel good. I don’t want to push it too hard right now but slowly get back in it. I can do everything with the left hand again, which feels good. The thing is just getting back in shape right now.”
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    aren't we not allowed to post the entire article because some websites were bitching that they weren't getting hits because of it?
    Yep. We are supposed to show who write the article, only part snippets, and provide a link to the original article.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information