Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dollaway: Show money at UFN 41 not covering my expenses

Default Dollaway: Show money at UFN 41 not covering my expenses

Dollaway: Show money at UFN 41 not covering my expenses
    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...g-my-expenses/
    In a recent interview with MMAJunkie, Carmont says his show money will not cover expenses, but he has high hopes for the fight anyway.

Carmont is currently ranked #9 in the UFC's media generated rankings, and Dollaway feels that a win would put him into the top 10, an excellent place to negotiate his new contract. Dollaway currently makes 30k to show, and wants to up that to 50k or more to show.

Dollaway says his show money does not cover the costs of a training camp, plus the expense of flying more coaches and training partners to Germany than the two the UFC covers. Further, there is little sponsorship for a FightPass televised contest.

In his last contract negotiation with UFC VP for Talent Relations Joe Silva, Dollaway was confronted frankly.

“Joe … (asked), ‘Who have you beat?,’” related Dollaway. “But, it’s reality. He goes, ‘I need people to fight my champions. I need contenders. You’re not a contender yet. Become a contender. Become exciting.’”

This fight, he hopes, brings him up the next level.

“Maybe I miss out on $10,000 or $15,000 now, but a victory over him puts me in position to make a lot more money,” said Dollaway. “I have this fight and one more on my contract. Generally, the UFC negotiates with one fight left on your contract. So, after this fight, I’ll be renegotiating.”

“They’re going to pay for guys who can finish fights. I’ve just got to go out and do it. At the end of the day, you miss out on a little money here. But $15,000 isn’t going to change my life.

“This fight could change my life. It could get me to that next echelon.”

“I feel I’ve become exciting. I’m now trying to become a contender. Now, I want to be paid. I’m not asking for a million dollars, but I want hopefully a little step up. That next pay scale.

“I feel ($50,000 to $60,000) is where I’m at, but I leave that to the agent and them to figure out. I trust in my agent. He does very well for me.”

In addition to the show money, Dollaway also of course hopes to make his win money. He has won three performance bonuses to date, and intends to put on a fight so exciting it earns another. And the UFC sometimes distributes "locker room" bonuses.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

This is an interesting situation that's been growing quite a bit for the mid to lower tier fighters with the burgeoning "Fight Pass" cards and altogether-cards outside of North American markets, as the sponsorships just aren't there and that's a bulk of their income. I've read that the taxes on Brazil cards especially kill these guys and unless you're a top guy, the money on these foreign cards almost isn't worth it comparable to say, a Vegas or Jersey card....

Start puttin out resumes CB

Then your spending way to much money, bringing in other fighters is a two way street, and if your camp isnt doing enough for you then you should move camps. Also, you dont need to be flying an entourage out with you to fights, honestly if your paying fees at a camp they should be handling there own flights and hotel rooms seeing as they get paid to corner you.

I think a lot of fighters should do what NBA players are forced to do now,and thats go threw a business course on how to handle money properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Then your spending way to much money, bringing in other fighters is a two way street, and if your camp isnt doing enough for you then you should move camps. Also, you dont need to be flying an entourage out with you to fights, honestly if your paying fees at a camp they should be handling there own flights and hotel rooms seeing as they get paid to corner you.

I think a lot of fighters should do what NBA players are forced to do now,and thats go threw a business course on how to handle money properly.
    Ummmm, do you know the difference between paying for a roundtrip flight for cornermen from say, Arizona to Las Vegas or Florida versus Arizona to Germany? Yeah, he's spending too much money, because it costs too much money. Dollaway isn't living like an NBA player, he's giving up a good slice sponsorship money fighting on these UFC overseas cards and he has to fly his crew out, UFC doesn't flip those bills. You're misinformed on the situation, going THROUGH a business course about handling money won't change the fundamental flaws in the UFC holding fights in far off locations where sponsorships are less prevalent.

I would imagine it's really tough for the mid-card guys whose styles don't lend themselves to a lot of performance bonuses.

I think the answer lies in "bartering" your own services during the off-time to help other fighters and then, in exchange, having them assist you in your training. That's how it's been done in the past. As was said earlier, a lot of that falls on your gym/management to arrange.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

at least he saying it's his choice to not per say make a profit as it's his choice to fly all the extra people out if he is paying 30k per fight camp he needs to find a better yet cheaper camp maybe he should go to the place that Johnny Hendricks TRAINS ?

You want more money, go out and win a bonus or win the fight, then your earning double or more (easier said than done though).

I never really considered either of these points, that:
    A - they lose money fighting overseas having to fly trainers and everyone out there because it's way more expensive than flying domestically
    B - they lose money if their fight is on fight pass, due to sponsors and exposure and all that jazz

Solutions? UFC should cover 3-4 camp members travel expenses. If they want you to fight wherever, and you go through the whole ordeal of jet-lag, being in a weird country which includes weird foods (ie Griffin in Brazil), different language, etc, they could foot the bill for another person or 2. And to make up for the sponsor money, give a pay bonus scale for fighting on these cards where your sponsor isn't going to pay much (5k? 10k?) or they sponsor you.

What events pull the most eyeballs to the sponsors though? Does it go ...
    Fox cards
    PPV
    Fuel TV
    Fight Pass?

Or do more people watch fuel than ppv's? Because I've seen viewer #'s for PPV's and Fox cards, but never really the other ones. How many people watch fight pass (legally)?
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    I wanted to watch two fat guys stare at each other huffing and puffing

I watch fight pass legally.
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

I don't watch Fight Pass because I don't want to pay for it, and I don't believe in illegal downloading. #humblebrag
    Big Hairy American Winning Machine

Thread Information