Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Former champ Rich Franklin in talks for ONE FC executive job – with UFC's blessing

Default Former champ Rich Franklin in talks for ONE FC executive job – with UFC's blessing

Former champ Rich Franklin in talks for ONE FC executive job – with UFC's blessing

Former UFC middleweight champion Rich Franklin is close to taking an executive-level job with ONE FC – and he apparently has the UFC’s blessing.

Franklin, who made his UFC debut more than 11 years ago, today announced via Facebook that he’s been offered a vice president position with the Asia-based organization. He said he plans to head to the promotion’s Singapore headquarters to finalize the deal.

According to Franklin, he’s been give the green light from UFC co-owners and executives Dana White and Lorenzo Fertitta.

As he posted today:

I have been in talks with ONE FC about taking a job with them. They offered me a position as VP. I will be heading to ONE FC headquarters in the next few weeks to work out the details. I met with Dana and Lorenzo at the end of last year and they gave me their blessing. I will keep you posted.

And why shouldn't they?!
    Guy needs to earn a living... and unless the UFC is handing him a cheque every month... then the guy's gotta eat.

Don't mean to bitch... but it just rubs me the wrong way that Dana can cut guys left and right, then talk about it as a business decision and "nothing personal"... he often says "I like the guy" but it's just business.

Well... that's a two way street. So it just gets up my nose that Franklin even has to CONSIDER what Dana and Co. would think of him advancing his post fight career.

Rant over.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Dirten View Post
    And why shouldn't they?!
    Guy needs to earn a living... and unless the UFC is handing him a cheque every month... then the guy's gotta eat.

Don't mean to bitch... but it just rubs me the wrong way that Dana can cut guys left and right, then talk about it as a business decision and "nothing personal"... he often says "I like the guy" but it's just business.

Well... that's a two way street. So it just gets up my nose that Franklin even has to CONSIDER what Dana and Co. would think of him advancing his post fight career.

Rant over.
    I think it is a great move by the UFC to let Rich Franklin do this both publicity wise and possible partnership wise. Franklin has always been a company man and you know the UFC would have kept him on the pay roll in some way after his retirement if he did not take another position like this...

Almost makes me wonder how close the UFC and One FC are getting or is there a possibly buy out in the future?

This is obviously a sinister plan by the UFC to bring down One FC.

Look for One FC to disappear in 2014, and Rich Franklin to become the sole juice sponsor of the UFC.

Quote Originally Posted by Leucoethiops View Post
    This is obviously a sinister plan by the UFC to bring down One FC.

Look for One FC to disappear in 2014, and Rich Franklin to become the sole juice sponsor of the UFC.
    I don't know you... but that has to be my favourite post in long, long time!

If I knew how to "rep" you, (or if I'm even capable of doing that?!?!) then I would.

Speaking of which... how do I "rep" guys?!

Unless I am mistaken Franklin is still under contract with the UFC...so yes he would have to talk to them and get the OK to take a position with another MMA company.

Additionally, look at Liddell or Hugh's. Both were give pretty much for life jobs with the UFC after they retired. Don't you think a guy like Rich would also be in line for something like that? With the way other MMA promotions come and go don't you think it is smart on his part to sit down and talk to your current and potentially one day again boss? What happens if the ONE FC thing doesn't work out or they get bought or fold.

Dana may do some shit but he gets shit on and bashed when he doesn't do anything as well. All this was is a good business move by Rich. It's really something is just a good business move period. Forget that its MMA. If I was to ever leave my job I would sit down and discuss it with my boss first if I was jumping ship.

Quote Originally Posted by The Return Of...... View Post
    Unless I am mistaken Franklin is still under contract with the UFC...so yes he would have to talk to them and get the OK to take a position with another MMA company.

Additionally, look at Liddell or Hugh's. Both were give pretty much for life jobs with the UFC after they retired. Don't you think a guy like Rich would also be in line for something like that? With the way other MMA promotions come and go don't you think it is smart on his part to sit down and talk to your current and potentially one day again boss? What happens if the ONE FC thing doesn't work out or they get bought or fold.

Dana may do some shit but he gets shit on and bashed when he doesn't do anything as well. All this was is a good business move by Rich. It's really something is just a good business move period. Forget that its MMA. If I was to ever leave my job I would sit down and discuss it with my boss first if I was jumping ship.
    It depends on the terms of the contract. It may or may not have a non compete clause for executive positions. It could just restrict him from competing for other promotions. Nick Diaz was allowed to create his own promotion while under a fight contract. Couture was able to sign on with Spike despite still having commentating obligations due on it. I doubt they could force to not take the job. Everything else on your post was spot on/
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

White: Franklin could fight in UFC despite ONE FC job
    However, at the UFC on FOX 11 post-fight media scrum, UFC president Dana White appeared open to the idea.

"He's still under contract to fight, if he ever wanted to fight," said White as transcribed by Chuck Mindenhall for MMAFighting. "You know, we have a good relationship with Rich. Rich got offered a really good opportunity to go work with those guys and I'm happy for him.

"There's nothing wrong if you come and ask and say...hey listen, how can be upset with a guy for trying to better his life or taking a great opportunity somewhere? You can't. It's the sneaky guys that lie to your face and all that stuff."

"It's not like if he takes this job that's it, we'll never have him fight in the UFC again. If he came back and wanted to fight he's still under contract with us, and he hasn't officially retired. Rich is out there making some moves. He started a business, he's got this business that he's running and he's putting all his time, effort and money into it, but he needs another source of income for more money to come in. So these guys gave him a huge opportunity and he's going to take it."

True I doubt they could have prevented him from taking the position. I did not mean to imply that they could. What I meant was not talking to them could in effect burn some bridges. Its just good business practice.

Thread Information