Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Ranking the most disappointing fighters in UFC history

Im an hour down the highway from TO too but happy as fuck to be a Hawk fan.
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

Living about 45 minutes outside of TO, I've been a lifelong Leafs fan and yeah, it sucks. I dunno about being "fickle" per se or just horribly jaded and dejected by an organization that appears to have unlimited financial resources and just always seem to fuck the dog come playoff time....

Wow. I thought this article started out well... but then just went right off the rails!

Wanderlai Silva and Mirko Cro Cop "disappointing"? Yeah... in the UFC... which they both entered well past their primes.
    But I can't even begin to say how crazy it is to call them disappointing "fighters". Their UFC runs were disappointing... but their careers were Legendary!!! C'mon people!

I'd have rather listed guys like Brandon Vera... a guy who never quite lived up to the hype, you know?

I'd even say Rampage Jackson... he sorta just fell off with the motivation (I assume?) at some point?

Or even Stephan Bonnar... who always seemed like he would have benefitted from a major training camp change up.

But Wandy and Cro Cop?!??!
    No way.

My two cents.

P.S. To "The Donosaur"... what can we wager on MacGregor's next fight?! Cause if you are interested... I think he's going to mop the floor with Miller. So suggest some stakes if you're interested brother!

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Dirten View Post
    Wow. I thought this article started out well... but then just went right off the rails!

Wanderlai Silva and Mirko Cro Cop "disappointing"? Yeah... in the UFC... which they both entered well past their primes.
    But I can't even begin to say how crazy it is to call them disappointing "fighters". Their UFC runs were disappointing... but their careers were Legendary!!! C'mon people!

I'd have rather listed guys like Brandon Vera... a guy who never quite lived up to the hype, you know?

I'd even say Rampage Jackson... he sorta just fell off with the motivation (I assume?) at some point?

Or even Stephan Bonnar... who always seemed like he would have benefitted from a major training camp change up.

But Wandy and Cro Cop?!??!
    No way.

My two cents.

P.S. To "The Donosaur"... what can we wager on MacGregor's next fight?! Cause if you are interested... I think he's going to mop the floor with Miller. So suggest some stakes if you're interested brother!
    Crocop was coming into the UFC when his stock was at it's highest. People thought he would run through UFC's HW division. He could have won a title and still been a disappointment. He couldn't even beat any top 10 fighter he fought.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Quote Originally Posted by W.Silva>C.Norris View Post
    What about George Sots? I expected great things out of him. At one point, I thought he was 155 champion material. He started off with a great run with some good names on it, only to completely fall apart.
    I wouldn't consider him a disappointment he won five straight after not even making the finals on TUF with a few upsets. He wasn't supposed to amount to anything in the ufc from the beginning so they success that he had was impressive.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

I'm surprised Vera wasn't on the list, but I'm betting the author wasn't watching MMA when Vera made his bones.

I can't see how AO makes that list at all, he did exactly what I said he would: fail a drug test and then fold under the pressure of competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Silva had a rep as being one of the top guys in his weight class coming into the UFC and also the nickname was something he had lived up to in Pride. He didn't carry that over to the UFC.
    ...I'm not a Wandi mark at all, but Unified Rules played as much of a role in that as Wandi being past his prime. You simply can't be an axe murderer with unified rules.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmicsunn View Post
    Kid Yamamoto and I've a feeling kawajiris gonna be in that list soon.
    Huge "yes" to Kid being a heartbreaker in the UFC. Kawajiri has potential to break them, too.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I'm surprised Vera wasn't on the list, but I'm betting the author wasn't watching MMA when Vera made his bones.

I can't see how AO makes that list at all, he did exactly what I said he would: fail a drug test and then fold under the pressure of competition.

...I'm not a Wandi mark at all, but Unified Rules played as much of a role in that as Wandi being past his prime. You simply can't be an axe murderer with unified rules.

Huge "yes" to Kid being a heartbreaker in the UFC. Kawajiri has potential to break them, too.

rh
    I think the author is talking about hype entering the UFC, Vera built himself while he was already in the organization. When he first started there wasn't that much hype.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

I could see Rick Story on the list. Won 6 in a row, when there was a scramble to get someone to the level of getting a title shot. He even beat Hendricks, and then Thiago Alves. I recall a lot of people being up his ass, and claiming he was going to get a title shot soon. Scheduled to face Nate Marquardt, but when Nate failed his drug test, ended up losing a clear UD to Charlie Brenneman. Hasn't won 2 in a row since.

Thread Information